Shutter lag on Fuji FP3800

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 8, 2005 7:27:54 PM

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 7:32:55 PM

Chuck wrote:

> I just bought a used FP3800 and noticed that there's quite a lag between
> the time the shutter release is pressed and the image is captured. I
> haven't been able to get any decent action shots due to this. By the
> time the image is captured, it's completely changed from what was
> displayed in the EVF. Anyone have a good suggestion on how to overcome this?

We believe you, no need for the PG Sig.

DSLR. In particular the Maxxum 7D. (runs).

Cheers,
Alan.

March 8, 2005 7:58:55 PM

"
displayed in the EVF. Anyone have a good suggestion on how to overcome
this?
"

ye, get a film SLR.
March 9, 2005 1:49:25 AM

Chuck wrote:
[]
> I just bought a used FP3800 and noticed that there's quite a lag
> between the time the shutter release is pressed and the image is
> captured. I haven't been able to get any decent action shots due to
> this. By the
> time the image is captured, it's completely changed from what was
> displayed in the EVF. Anyone have a good suggestion on how to
> overcome this?

Half-press the shutter release to get the exposure and focus, then a final
press for the instant of taking. Works on many cameras, perhaps your as
well.

David
March 9, 2005 1:32:01 PM

Mr.Bolshoy Huy wrote:
> "
> displayed in the EVF. Anyone have a good suggestion on how to overcome
> this?
> "
>
> ye, get a film SLR.

This is 2005, not 1983.

If I want an image transferred to my PC from a film SLR it'll take at
least a day (if I'm willing to drive to Walmart for same day processing)
and cost about 15 bucks if you include film, developing, and printing.

With a digital camera I can have an image on my PC in seconds and it
costs nothing. I just have to figure out how to overcome the shutter lag
for action shots, which I believe I just have thanks to some help on
this NG.

Film may not be totally dead yet, but it's been given last rites.
March 9, 2005 1:37:24 PM

Mr.Bolshoy Huy wrote:
> "
> displayed in the EVF. Anyone have a good suggestion on how to overcome
> this?
> "
>
> ye, get a film SLR.

BTW I do have a film SLR. It's a Canon AE-1 that I bought 25 years ago
and has served me well. I have a full compliment of lenses and
accessories for it including flash, flash bracket, spot meter, you name
it. Today it pretty much collects dust. Digital cameras capture images
that are just as good in quality as a 35mm SLR and cost nothing to process.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 7:59:50 PM

"Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message
> Mr.Bolshoy Huy wrote:
>> "
>> displayed in the EVF. Anyone have a good suggestion on how to overcome
>> this?
>> "
>>
>> ye, get a film SLR.
>>

> BTW I do have a film SLR. It's a Canon AE-1 that I bought 25 years ago
> and has served me well. I have a full compliment of lenses and
> accessories for it including flash, flash bracket, spot meter, you name
> it. Today it pretty much collects dust. Digital cameras capture images
> that are just as good in quality as a 35mm SLR and cost nothing to
> process.

So the computer you use to load them on for viewing cost nothing?
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 7:59:51 PM

erics wrote:
> "Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message
>
>>Mr.Bolshoy Huy wrote:
>>
>>>"
>>>displayed in the EVF. Anyone have a good suggestion on how to overcome
>>>this?
>>>"
>>>
>>>ye, get a film SLR.
>>>

>>BTW I do have a film SLR. It's a Canon AE-1 that I bought 25 years ago
>>and has served me well. I have a full compliment of lenses and
>>accessories for it including flash, flash bracket, spot meter, you name
>>it. Today it pretty much collects dust. Digital cameras capture images
>>that are just as good in quality as a 35mm SLR and cost nothing to
>>process.
>

> So the computer you use to load them on for viewing cost nothing?

Already had it. Just like I already had the car I used to take the film
to the place to get it developed, and printed, and another trip to pick
it up.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

NOT familiar with your camera but consider the following hints:
1. Position yourself so that the background is consistent in the area where
the subject is likely to appear and preset the exposure if your camera can
do so.
2. Get far enough from your subject to use "landscape" mode focusing (fixed
infinite focus). The camera will not have to position the lens to focus for
each shot.
3. Try burst mode (multiple sequential) shots if your camera can do this.
One of the several shots may give you the pose you are looking for, it works
with moving dogs who are notoriously unco-operative about posing for stills.
Brace your camera against your head, elbows against sides, frame your shot
with the viewfinder then follow the action by panning with your body while
watching the action with your other eye, the viewfinder will probably go
dark at the first shot.
Regards, Jack

"Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:05:45 AM

> erics wrote:
>> "Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message

>>>BTW I do have a film SLR. It's a Canon AE-1 that I bought 25 years ago
>>>and has served me well. I have a full compliment of lenses and
>>>accessories for it including flash, flash bracket, spot meter, you name
>>>it. Today it pretty much collects dust. Digital cameras capture images
>>>that are just as good in quality as a 35mm SLR and cost nothing to
>>>process.
>>

>> So the computer you use to load them on for viewing cost nothing?
> Already had it. Just like I already had the car I used to take the film
> to the place to get it developed, and printed, and another trip to pick it
> up.

Not everyone always has a computer, the software necessary to edit photos
effectively, enough storage space, backup media, etc.

And the petrol you already had, does that last forever?

It may be a hidden cost, but it is still there whatever you think. How many
people have a digital camera and no PC? Very few I would expect. My feeling
is that the more you use a digital camera the more essential a PC is to get
the best out of it. Therefore the PC is an essential requirement that does
have a cost, its cost may not be 100% associated with the digital camera,
but without it how much would you get out of your camera?
March 10, 2005 6:24:14 PM

Jack Rosier wrote:
> NOT familiar with your camera but consider the following hints:
> 1. Position yourself so that the background is consistent in the area where
> the subject is likely to appear and preset the exposure if your camera can
> do so.
> 2. Get far enough from your subject to use "landscape" mode focusing (fixed
> infinite focus). The camera will not have to position the lens to focus for
> each shot.
> 3. Try burst mode (multiple sequential) shots if your camera can do this.
> One of the several shots may give you the pose you are looking for, it works
> with moving dogs who are notoriously unco-operative about posing for stills.
> Brace your camera against your head, elbows against sides, frame your shot
> with the viewfinder then follow the action by panning with your body while
> watching the action with your other eye, the viewfinder will probably go
> dark at the first shot.
> Regards, Jack
>
> "Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message
>
> I just bought a used FP3800 and noticed that there's quite a lag between
> the time the shutter release is pressed and the image is captured. I
> haven't been able to get any decent action shots due to this. By the
> time the image is captured, it's completely changed from what was
> displayed in the EVF. Anyone have a good suggestion on how to overcome
>
>> this?

All good tips. Thanks.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:17:13 PM

there were no digital cameras in 1983.
so many people have complained about shutter lag, that it's pointless
give advice for digital P&S.
March 11, 2005 6:43:07 PM

Chuck, what were you trying to photograph? I have a S304/3800.
I often use it to take drag racing photos.
When I want to catch a wheelstand, I take the photo just as the wheels leave
the ground with the shutter half pressed.
Most turn out Ok, any dud ones get deleted.
I guess what I am trying to say is, shoot earlier than usual.

If you are trying to pan, I haven't tried that.

--
remove n u m b e r s to reply
Chuck wrote in message
<1110382021.2e6f9d744f069fa5f51b96847be0245c@bubbanews>...
>Mr.Bolshoy Huy wrote:
>> "
>> displayed in the EVF. Anyone have a good suggestion on how to overcome
>> this?
>> "
>>
>> ye, get a film SLR.
>>

>BTW I do have a film SLR. It's a Canon AE-1 that I bought 25 years ago
>and has served me well. I have a full compliment of lenses and
>accessories for it including flash, flash bracket, spot meter, you name
>it. Today it pretty much collects dust. Digital cameras capture images
>that are just as good in quality as a 35mm SLR and cost nothing to process.
March 11, 2005 6:43:08 PM

Was actually trying to shoot my kids playing basketball. I would pan
until I had a frame composed in such a way as I liked and press the
shutter release, but the image captured was perhaps 1/2 to 1 second
later and not even close to what I had composed. I had locked the AF by
pressing the shutter release half way but then releasing it. Next time
I'll continue to hold the SR half way until I'm ready to shoot and see
if that improves the lag.

!