Display crash/no error reports

blahbot90

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Hey guys,

I have an HP Touchsmart TX2 that keeps crashing on me. Specs are listed below. But essentially, the display just crashes, if there was any sound that was coming out, it just hangs on the last second over and over until the computer is restarted. I can't find a picture that would explain this, and I'll upload what the crash looks like next time it crashes. Its as if you took the screen display and broke it down in small 40x40 pixel blocks, all the blocks just get completely misaligned. I've tried upgrading drivers, no help and there is no error report generated in event viewer (just an unexpected shutdown error). I have no idea what is dying or what the problem is, but is there anyone else who has had this problem? Ran memtests and no errors, and no hdd errors either

Specs:

2.4 GHz Turion X2
6 gb RAM
Win 7
ATI HD 3200

justinw2

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011

I have the same problem with mine - roughly same hardware 2.1 GHz and 4 gb RAM. The problem first came up when playing DVDs with an external monitor attached, so I thought it might be heat (it got HOT and would restart okay after a cooldown period). Then it progressed to just watching youtube, etc videos on the web on an external display (running 2 displays). It even crashed once when I was just dragging a window from one monitor to the other. Disconnecting external monitors helps tremendously, but I can still crash it by clicking the full-screen button on a youtube video usually.

My crash sounds a bit different perhaps. I get just a black screen and no sound. I get the same unexpected restart screen at start-up and then I'm told that it should check the disc for errors. In the error search it inevitably stops and crashes again. If I skip the search, I can start back up just fine...

Any ideas? Thanks.