Would a Phenom II X4 940 bottleneck a HD 6990? + 3 eyefinity monitors?

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Would a Phenom II x4 940 Black Edition (3.0 Ghz) bottleneck a HD6990? thinking about upgrading from a HD 5750 to a HD 6990. And yes yes, I know you could the same out of 2 HD6970's for cheaper and etc.

only got one slot for a GPU and I don't want to upgrade my Mobo till Bulldozer is out and see what is the best mobo for it in terms of gaming on the AM3+ for a Bulldozer 8 core. (yeah i know 8 cores are not good for gaming at this point, but I could always put it into turbo core mode perm or something..)

I'm not an overclocker, and if your asking why I want to get an HD6990 it is because I can't wait till 2012 and I want a card to last me a looooong time, and i might overclock later down the road.

Plus, some point down the road I want to do a 3 monitor eyefinity set-up. thinking about getting that XFX stand. if anyone has some epic monitors to suggest for eyefinity gaming with 3 monitors for something like this that would be great!

I mainly do a LOT of gaming and watch a few movies here and there on my computer. I really need to upgrade from this old samsung monitor... think it's a samsung syncmaster 226bw

any help would be nice, thanks.

Solution
G
Yes it will bottleneck it, but not that it will matter, as you already have decided to wait to upgrade to BD! it will not have a detrimental effect on FPS anyways, as eyefinity is always GPU reliant!

And that 940 should easily hit 3.6Ghz!
a 3ghz dual core is ok for most games. you should look into overclocking it to at least 3.6 ghz, that should be pretty easy. That should give you good framerates in most games. Are you planning on eyefinity with 3 x 1080p monitors? then a 6990 is a good solution. with a single 6970 and eyefinity you may find yourself dropping details in some games to maintain a good framerate.

G

Yes it will bottleneck it, but not that it will matter, as you already have decided to wait to upgrade to BD! it will not have a detrimental effect on FPS anyways, as eyefinity is always GPU reliant!

And that 940 should easily hit 3.6Ghz!

Solution

3 monitors puts so much strain on the GPU, its necessary to have that much graphics horsepower regardless of CPU.