HP G60 Motherboard/display problem

krsesq

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
We have an HP G60 laptop which displays some puzzling problems. The initial problem was that it simply wouldn't power up. Tested PS and it was okay. Replaced the MB and the new one wouldn't power up either. Not even the indicator led on the ac port would illuminate. By chance I unplugged the lcd display from the mb and the indicator led came on, but still no powerup.

Got a different mb and tried it barebones - only the power connector, usb keyboard, power button assembly, and external monitor. LED indicated power, and pressing power button caused cpu fan to spin up, but that was all. No POST message on external monitor. Powered it off again and attached the lcd screen and ac indicator led went dark. No power up. disconnected the lcd screen again and ac indicator led came back on but nothing happens now when pressing the power button. No cpu fan, nothing.

Tried it with different power supplys, different RAM, no RAM (not even a no-RAM error beep), different CPUs, but no luck.

Questions: is there anything in the lcd screen assembly (inverter, etc) that could kill a motherboard so suddenly? Do I dare try yet another mb with this lcd screen? And shouldn't I get SOMETHING on an external monitor if the lcd isn't connected? (Not even getting a POST message at this point!)

Unfortunately, if you're out of patience, it's time to take your parts to a pro and let them diagnose the problem(s). I've been building desktops for twenty years, and laptops are a little more delicate. Find an unemployed tech on craigslist and ask for his credentials; he may test it out for as little as $25.

krsesq

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Thanks. I've been building desktops for 15 years and can diagnose anything (almost!) under the sun. I've replaced MBs and LCDs in more HP laptops than I care to count and this one has me stumped!

My guess is manufacturer defect. Apparently HP G60s have a history of MB problems.

The laptop is definitely too old to be worth sending to HP. Got it from a client who I talked into getting a Toshiba after it fried.

Mr Mac

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

-I currently have had a charging problem with my G60 outside of the battery, so I thought I would take it apart and resolder the power connector to the motherboard. Got it apart, (my first laptop complete disassemble) and realized the power connector is not soldered to the motherboard.

So I reassembled the laptop, thinking that the power cord must have a break in it, but when I tried to power the laptop back up, the screen remained black and the was a LOT of heat from the left rear bottom of the laptop. I am now assuming that there is a short in the power jack cord leading to the motherboard, so I will be replacing that.

Of course I will remove the cord and test it first. I am confident the the short will be inside the jack where the cord is connected, since that is where the most force occurs when my daughter trips over the power cord. (See how I blame her as she is defensless as I write this post.)