Overheating issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 14, 2011 10:20:30 PM

Hi all,

Core i7-860
GTX 275-co-op
Win7 64bit
4 GB DDr3

I got a tremendous deal on my graphics card roughly 9 months ago. Recently, I did a fresh install of Win7. Ever since then I've been having troubles when I game. My games will run fine for a while and then suddenly become sticky. Modern Warfare 2 is an example. I was getting 60 FPS even though my game was "sticky". To best describe my issue, I would use the domination flag as an example. It should be blowing majestically and smoothly in the wind. Instead it will blow smoothly, then pause, then continue blowing smoothly. It does this rapidly. I will shut down the game, wait and then I will be okay for a few more minutes.

Since realizing that I downloaded the most recent drivers for my card after I did the fresh install of Win7, I removed those drivers and tried an older version. The older version helped it run more smoothly for a longer duration, but ultimately it would become sticky again. (I did use a driver sweeper to remove all components of other drivers)

GTAIV and Bad Company 2 are the other games I play. They will too become sticky after a short amount of time. Mind you, I've been playing these games since their release. I used to play GTAIV on my old 8800gt with obviously lower settings, but it ran decently. All these games used to run flawlessly on my GTX275 up until the point of a fresh install of Win7.

I ended up downloading SpeedFan after believing my issue to be related to heat. I will provide a link to my results. They are hot. What is odd is that my gfx card is not hot to the touch. Also, if someone would please explain my CPU results. I have a quad core, but SpeedFan is realizing two CPUs. One CPU is roughly 60C and the other is HOT..in the 80C range. Why is it listing 2 CPUs? And why is one really hot compared to the other? I pressed my finger on the heatsink of my CPU and it was barely warm. I'm confused. Everything is pointing to heat, however nothing feels hot. I've ran this same case with a C2Duo 2.4Ghz and my 8800GT with 0 issues for 3 years. I have ran my new set up (GTX275/it-860) for 9 months with no heat issues at all. This all occurred right after the fresh install of Win7.

http://image72.webshots.com/72/5/11/76/2081511760035613...

As always, this community's input is welcome and appreciated.

Thank you,

AR

More about : overheating issues

a c 214 U Graphics card
April 14, 2011 10:56:05 PM

After your fresh install of Windows 7 did you download the newest drivers for the GTX275 from the Nvidia website?

Download HWMonitor and check what your temps are in there.SpeedFan isn't a very reliable,imo.I've never really liked it.Download CPUID CPU-Z and CPUID HWMonitor and see what those say.Post back with your resluts.
m
l
April 14, 2011 11:17:58 PM

Thank you for your reply. Yes, after I did the fresh install, I downloaded the most recent drivers from Nvidia. Before the fresh install, I had been using an older and known stable version 197. something. After the newest drivers from Nvidia failed, I reverted back to my previously known stable version of drivers. Those had the same issues.

http://image83.webshots.com/183/0/51/88/290605188003561...

Thank you again.
m
l
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
April 14, 2011 11:51:24 PM

That link is broken.Try posting the actual image using fourm code.
You were using the same version of windows before?
Have you downloaded all of the availible updates for Windows 7?
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
April 15, 2011 1:33:23 AM

Your temps are fine.Don't use speedfan use HWMonitor those temps are legit.

I really don't know what it is.Maybe a bad install possibly.Can't really know for sure.
m
l
April 15, 2011 2:17:05 AM

I should also add that I just put a powerful household fan aimed originally away from the computer to suck the air out, but then (even though I don't like this idea) I aimed it into the computer. It honestly seemed to help slightly....I don't know, maybe it was a placebo effect, but it seemed like it. However, it was still intermittently sticky. This is bothering me. I'd prefer not to do a reinstall of windows, but if that's what it takes, I will do it again.

Thanks again for the replies.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
April 15, 2011 2:41:52 AM

You don't need an extra fan like that your temps are fine.Temps are not the issue.

Try taking the GPU out if you reinstall.
m
l
April 15, 2011 3:24:35 AM

also it says on the image you supplied that there is a gts 250 running as well...wtf is with that....is that legit or just a f**k up in the program iif your running that along side the 275 then thats your problem.ahahahaha.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
April 15, 2011 3:51:08 AM

ooooo.Are you running Physx?
m
l
April 15, 2011 5:18:22 PM

The 250 runs completely idle unless I am playing a physx enabled game. It's useless. That is what the co-op edition is. The 275 is used for processing graphics and the 250 is there solely for unloading the physx data.

But like I said, I've been using my GTX275 co-op graphics card without issue for 9 months. It wasn't until last weekend when I did a fresh install of Win7 that my games became "sticky" when playing them. That to me points to something other that heat since that would be a grand coincidence to have degradation occur on my card the same weekend I reinstalled Windows. But on the other hand, the fact that I can play for 5-10 minutes before the game becomes sticky, points me towards heat.

Purple, Speedfan shows the temperature of my 2 GPU's, (I assume the 250 is the represented by the lower temperature since it runs idle in Bad Company 2), but does CPUID show the temperature of my graphics card? I could be blind, but I'm not seeing it. Also, if it doesn't show the temperature of my GPU, is there any monitoring software that would accurately represent the temperature of my GPU that you would care to recommend?

Finally, I still have my old 8800gt. Would popping that in my computer prove/disprove anything? I used to run BC2 on my 8800gt and the game would never get "sticky". If I were to pop that in and not get the sticky issues, wouldn't that point to my gtx275 overheating or confining some issue to my 275? I know you've said it's more than likely not related to heat, but I'd like to try to eliminate everything before I do a fresh install of Win7 again.

I really do appreciate all the help so far. For the small part I've played in this community, it has always been tremendously helpful.

Thank you!
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
April 15, 2011 5:29:46 PM

I seriously doubt it's an overheating issue.If it was overheating you would start to see dead pixels and other random failures on the screen.

Try taking out one of the cards and just run a single card.Start crossing things out one at a time.

Usally CPUIDHWMonitor will display the temps as well as voltages for the GPU's but it really depends on which BIOS/board your using.Try download CPUID GPU-Z.That will give you full details about everything going on with your card.Although i haven't tryed to use it with 2 cards so i'm not sure if it will display one or both cards.

m
l
April 15, 2011 5:30:36 PM

what power supply are you running the cards on....post the info on the psu. it may be that your psu is insufficent in powering both the 250 aswell as the 275....try with just the 275 by itself...and see how that goes
m
l
April 15, 2011 7:09:08 PM

I have an 850 watt PS; I forgot which brand, but I do know it was a solid name. I'm not at my personal computer currently so when I get the info I will post it. As far as the graphics card goes, it's a single graphics card with duo GPU's built into the single card. If there is a way to disable the on board 250 completely, I will try that. If not, I think I will pop out the 275 co-op and put in the old 8800gt.

In the mean time, any other thoughts/ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
April 15, 2011 7:10:53 PM

Your PSU is fine that doesn't seem to be the issue.850watts is more than enough for the setup your running.
I'm pretty sure it's Windows related it's almost really obvious although it doesn't make sense.
Do you have another hard drive laying around?
m
l
April 15, 2011 8:38:29 PM

I do have another HD laying around.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
April 15, 2011 9:28:58 PM

Try reinstalling Windows on that HD and reinstall the drivers for the GPU.Make sure your current HDD is 2nd boot priority.
m
l
April 16, 2011 9:23:03 AM

Why do you have a GTS250 running as a physx card when your GTX275 Co-op has its own physx dependant GTS250 within the GTX275? Were you running this identical setup b4 you did the clean install, and if so for how long?
m
l
April 16, 2011 2:43:11 PM

No, I am only running only the one 250 which is the second GPU onboard along with the 275. This is the same set up as I've ran for 9 months. So, I only have 1 graphics card which has 2 GPUs.

I installed win7 on my other HD but all my games are Steam games so they are downloading.

Here's another photo using GPU-z

http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/k560/tropicalman1/?...

m
l
April 16, 2011 5:08:42 PM

Just an update. I installed my old 8800GT and removed my GTX275-co-op. I launched GTAIV and played. While I obviously got lower FPS, the game did not become sticky at all. The 8800GT got up to 94C while playing, but again, it never became sticky.

After I removed my GTX275, I cleaned it/forced air and blew out a tremendous amount of dust. I have not put it back in, but I will do so shortly.

In the mean time, I still have BC2 downloading on my other HD. If the dusting of the 275 didn't help, my next test will be playing BC2 on the other HD.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
April 16, 2011 6:00:42 PM

I still don't believe it was a overheat issue but if you say you blew that much dust out than maybe it was the dust.
m
l
April 16, 2011 6:24:11 PM

Well, after the dust removal my GPU ran 62C in GTAIV as compared to the 90C range. How embarassing....it seems this was the issue all along. I'm doing more testing in BC2, but a 30C drop in temperature has me pretty confident.

I really do appreciate all the help.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
April 16, 2011 7:03:09 PM

O wow.That must have been EXTREMELY dirty for it to drop 28c.Well i hope that works it out for you.
m
l
April 16, 2011 8:13:25 PM

It was. The design of the 275 coop allows for dust to build up much easier than my almost completely sealed 8800gt. For the 3 years I've had my 8800gt, I never once cleaned it and never had an issue. This one, it took 9 months for dust to clog it up. I do have to long haired shedding dogs that helped with the problem :lol: 
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
April 16, 2011 8:35:59 PM

Thats prolly your problem.I have 1 dog thats short but sheds a TON.I keep the dust filiters in all the fans i have and after a couple months a clean then cause their totally clogged.Maybe you should get some.
m
l
!