Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia 8400 GS output to HDMI problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 14, 2011 11:12:08 PM

Hello,
installed EVGA Nvidia GeForce 8400GS with output to DVI & VGA to monitors. When i plug in a good six-foot HDMI cable, the two monitors go black.
I did hook up the pc to one VGA monitor & 6 foot to television and output movie on VLC player to television.
I am totally baffled on why when i hook up my two monitors in the den and a 6 foot cable going nowhere that the screens black out.
April 15, 2011 3:17:25 AM

i say that card dosent support the tv output...how big is tv and what type.... is it a lcd plasma...post info. also...does the card support dual monitor set up...if it dosent then thats your probelm. just unplug vga while watching the hdmi and unplug tv while using pc. also which out put are you using for what. are you using the vga for the hdmi or the dvi for the hdmi.
m
l
April 18, 2011 2:12:24 AM

The 8400GS card by EVGA has 3 outputs: DVI, VGA & HDMI. I used this card and my LGA775 socket mainboard died so i replaced with MSI with an i5 processor.
Prior to the old board dieing, i output to my monitors & then switched one to the HDMI, output through a 6 foot cable to wall plate, 25 feet though the walls and crawlspace to wall plate behind the TV and then a 6 foot cable to HDMI port.

The card worked fine prior to mainboard failure.

We also had a storm and an uproooted tree ripped the riser conduit and meter box off the side of our house. We had more than a handfull of light bulbs burn out, two surge protectors damaged, etc. My PC was disconnnected from my desk area and on a bench awaiting new mainboard and processor.

Both 6 foot cables worked fine on the family room TV and i attached an old SONY VGA monitor to my tower near the TV and output the HDMI directly to the TV with a 6 foot cable. I even tried switching the ports around. When i used the HDMI as monitor two, it worked fine.

I also get a blacked out screen on both monitors with just a unattached (to any other wires or devices) 6 foot HDMI cable attached to the back of the card.

Is it possible the card was damaged?

Below is the specs on my custom built tower:

Line1=Motherboard MSI P55-CD53 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
Line2=CPU Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760
Line3=FSB 1066MHz
Line4=North Bridge Intel 975X Intel
Line5=South Bridge Intel ICH7R
Line6=Memory 2 X 2 GB
Line7=Video Card EVGA Nvidia GeForce 8400GS
Line8=Audio Chipset Realtek 8111DL
Line9=Hard Drive SATA1 320GB AAKS Caviar SATA2 750GB WDC 7500 ADDS 32 MB Cache SATA3 Maxtor 320 GB 3320620 EIDE 1 Maxtor 320GB EIDE 80 GB WD 800JB Caviar
m
l
April 28, 2011 1:06:33 AM

i till didn't get a solution. Whenever i use a known good 6 foot or ten foot HDMI to a smaller TV, i get to u it as a scond monitor. When i plug into the wall plate , which is connected by 25 foot HDMI to a second wall plate behind my living room TV, the screens go black. The wall plate behind the TV DOES NOT have a HDMI attached to the television.
m
l
!