Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

PCI 64 bit Firewire card won't fit into PCI slot?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • PCI
  • Firewire
Last response: in Motherboards
June 14, 2012 11:26:54 PM

I have a Firewire 800/400 card that is 64-bit PCI left over from whenever. I wanted to install it in my new build (it's a Gigabyte Z77X mobo with one PCI slot available). I realize I will only be running the card 32 bit as my slot is standard PCI, but even with the overhang taken into account, I cannot seem to get the card in.

I've tried 3 or 4 times now, I line it up with both the bracket and connectors with the actual slot, and it just plain does NOT snap or slide in. I've applied some pressure but I obviously do not want to break a $140 board over a $30 card, but I really didn't want to spend the extra 30 bucks for a new PCI-e card.

Could there be something wrong with my PCI slot or maybe the card? I've lined it up perfectly, and it just does NOT go in.

More about : pci bit firewire card fit pci slot

June 15, 2012 7:02:39 AM

Yeah I found this stuff after I posted this. Looking at that picture though, my PCI card SHOULD be universal...according to the pattern. But it simply WON'T fit in right. It's hard to explain but it's like the card is too thick for the slot and it lines up weird with my back panel.

I bought that about a year ago and spent the money for nothing apparently. I really don't want to try and force the card, for whatever reason it's not fitting. I don't want to spend more cash but I REALLY don't want to break my PC either...

Thanks for the recommendations.
m
l
Related resources
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 15, 2012 2:08:01 PM

Trust me I 'get' what you're saying -- IF you really must have FireWire at least (thankfully) there are some reasonable options.

Correct -- do NOT force it!!!
m
l
June 15, 2012 7:19:43 PM

Yeah I just ordered a new PCIe card from Amazon. I only need firwire to upload old miniDV tapes for my job (video editing) and getting to some portable hard drives that only have firewire. Speed isn't all that important, just the interface...

But it just puzzles me why that card did not fit. Very strange. I at least wish I had someone who could use it but it looks pretty outdated.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 15, 2012 11:34:52 PM

eBay.

Those PCI slots are pretty standardized and you're the first I've seen with this issue.

Good Luck & have a great weekend! :sol: 
m
l