Weird 6990 issue?

Hi Gents,

i thought i would run this by you guys. So today I traded out a gigabyte ud3(prefix) for a MSI p6765 and as my case was a little short a new corsair case to house the AMD 6990 and hopefully improve airflow.

Got a few issues now. After getting everything done board says it OC's cpu to 4.2GHZ but in wondows it still show 3.4 actual, other board no issue. and freaks out even worse when I go into bios to do manual changes as well. CPU OC'ed fine in old board.

So I run heaven bencemark to ensure everything is ok but now my score has gone from 2012 to 1048! ouch. I still play rome total war and with the 6990 i was getting the flickering on the screen but now with new board no flicker.

is it possible that one gpu can go bad on a dual card? I know it sounds nuts but with half score and loss of rome flicker I wonder.

My old card a gtx 570 scored 1200 or so.

Any thoughts or insights would be apperciated. I've spent a dumb amount of money on this rig and it seems to be getting worse not better. jeez.

Thanks for reading.

16 gigs ram
2 TB(raid0)
amd 6990
MSI p67-gd65
1 answer Last reply
More about weird 6990 issue
  1. templarklimek said:
    Hi Gents,

i thought i would run this by you guys. So today I traded out a gigabyte ud3(prefix) for a MSI p6765 and as my case was a little short a new corsair case to house the AMD 6990 and hopefully improve airflow.

Got a few issues now. After getting everything done board says it OC's cpu to 4.2GHZ but in wondows it still show 3.4 actual, other board no issue. and freaks out even worse when I go into bios to do manual changes as well. CPU OC'ed fine in old board.

So I run heaven bencemark to ensure everything is ok but now my score has gone from 2012 to 1048! ouch. I still play rome total war and with the 6990 i was getting the flickering on the screen but now with new board no flicker.

is it possible that one gpu can go bad on a dual card? I know it sounds nuts but with half score and loss of rome flicker I wonder.

My old card a gtx 570 scored 1200 or so.

Any thoughts or insights would be apperciated. I've spent a dumb amount of money on this rig and it seems to be getting worse not better. jeez.

Thanks for reading.

16 gigs ram
    2 TB(raid0)
    amd 6990
    MSI p67-gd65

Solved my own problem. Reloaded catalyst and it now offers an option to turn 2nd gpu on/off like crossfire does.

Hello? Is thing thing on? Tell your sister I said hello. :bounce:
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics