Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I7 2600k Z68 C300 SSD slow boot

Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 23, 2011 9:11:22 AM

Hi All,

Yesterday I swapped out my old Q9400 @3.2 with P45 chipset for my new i7 2600k with Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 motherboard. I was expecting big performance increases across the board and sure enough in games I have got one (eg GTA4 37 to 60 fps)

However, the PC is slow to boot. With the same drive and windows 7 x64 pro install, my old motherboard and cpu would boot quick enough so that the blue screen between the "starting windows" screen and the desktop never showed, unless doing an update. However, with the new motherboard and cpu, it takes at least 30 seconds longer. Also, the windows experience index of the drive dropped from 7.7 to 7.6. I was expecting it to go up to 7.9 since it is now on SATA 3. I ran a quick ATTO benchmark and the drive reads at 380MB/s. The motherboard is set to ACHI mode and intel RST is installed.

Any help on the matter would be appreciated. This is driving me mad!

As an aside, I have 4 HDD in my pc + SSD. If I connect up a certain HDD, after the POST, it has "bootmgr could not be found" yet if I unplug that drive, all is fine again.

Please help me. It's frustrating to have spent so much and be losing performance in areas!

Thanks,

Tim
a c 188 à CPUs
a c 75 V Motherboard
September 23, 2011 5:53:57 PM

Tim,
Did you set up the C300 as a boot drive or as a cached drive in the Intel® SRT (Smart Response Technology)? With the Intel SRT you want to be using a drive that is smaller than 64GB for caching. Intel SRT will watch your commonly used applications and then cache them on the SSD drive. So you will get better performance after a little time.

If the drive that you have is larger than then 64GB the best performance is from using it at a boot drive. With a boot drive you want to install on it your OS, and commonly used applications. This is the fastest option but it takes a little more effort to manage the drive and more money to buy a larger drive then what you would find when using the Intel SRT.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
September 23, 2011 7:05:25 PM

Have you reinstalled Windows after changing your motherboard+CPU? If no, then there's your problem.
Related resources
September 23, 2011 9:16:23 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Tim,
Did you set up the C300 as a boot drive or as a cached drive in the Intel® SRT (Smart Response Technology)? With the Intel SRT you want to be using a drive that is smaller than 64GB for caching. Intel SRT will watch your commonly used applications and then cache them on the SSD drive. So you will get better performance after a little time.

If the drive that you have is larger than then 64GB the best performance is from using it at a boot drive. With a boot drive you want to install on it your OS, and commonly used applications. This is the fastest option but it takes a little more effort to manage the drive and more money to buy a larger drive then what you would find when using the Intel SRT.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team


Hi Christian,

The C300 is the main OS boot drive. It is 64GB. Do you have any further suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim
September 23, 2011 9:18:18 PM

mxsix said:
Have you reinstalled Windows after changing your motherboard+CPU? If no, then there's your problem.


Hi mxsix,

No I'm just running my old windows 7 install. Do you recommend that I reinstall? I've changed motherboard and cpu before while keeping my old windows install with no issues. Are there any other steps that could be taken? Windows takes a long time to reinstall and I don't have my install DVD :( 

Thanks for the response,

Tim
September 23, 2011 9:19:07 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Tim,
Did you set up the C300 as a boot drive or as a cached drive in the Intel® SRT (Smart Response Technology)? With the Intel SRT you want to be using a drive that is smaller than 64GB for caching. Intel SRT will watch your commonly used applications and then cache them on the SSD drive. So you will get better performance after a little time.

If the drive that you have is larger than then 64GB the best performance is from using it at a boot drive. With a boot drive you want to install on it your OS, and commonly used applications. This is the fastest option but it takes a little more effort to manage the drive and more money to buy a larger drive then what you would find when using the Intel SRT.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team


I forgot to say thank you for the response! Sorry.
a c 188 à CPUs
a c 75 V Motherboard
September 23, 2011 9:32:36 PM

No problem, for best performance do a clean install otherwise go in and see if can removed the other system drivers from Windows this isnt as good but it can help.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
September 23, 2011 10:30:38 PM

dopeydog said:
Hi mxsix,

No I'm just running my old windows 7 install. Do you recommend that I reinstall? I've changed motherboard and cpu before while keeping my old windows install with no issues. Are there any other steps that could be taken? Windows takes a long time to reinstall and I don't have my install DVD :( 

Thanks for the response,

Tim


To be honest I'm surprised it worked at all with the same Windows installation! Absolutely, do a fresh install of Windows because your motherboard+CPU drivers are completely different now.
a c 126 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 24, 2011 2:34:34 AM

Your issue with the "boot manager cannot be found" sounds like its trying to boot to one of the other drives. You want to make sure that either the SSD is on the first SATA channel, normally SATA_0 or SATA_1 or is set as the primary boot hard drive in the BIOS under Advanced move and then the Advanced tab.

I have a Intel X25-M G2 and 2 500GB Seagtes in a RAID0 and never get that issue.

Also, as said do a clean install of 7 and make sure to get the latest Intel RST drivers and the latest Intel chipset drivers for it. Also there are a lot of good tweaks to do as well to increase the longevity of your SSD and a few for performance.
September 24, 2011 8:16:06 AM

mxsix said:
To be honest I'm surprised it worked at all with the same Windows installation! Absolutely, do a fresh install of Windows because your motherboard+CPU drivers are completely different now.


Thanks again for the response. I have the windows 7 upgrade exe with the necessary files. Would you recommend just saving my data then running that exe and overwriting my current windows 7?

Thanks,
September 24, 2011 8:17:57 AM

jimmysmitty said:
Your issue with the "boot manager cannot be found" sounds like its trying to boot to one of the other drives. You want to make sure that either the SSD is on the first SATA channel, normally SATA_0 or SATA_1 or is set as the primary boot hard drive in the BIOS under Advanced move and then the Advanced tab.

I have a Intel X25-M G2 and 2 500GB Seagtes in a RAID0 and never get that issue.

Also, as said do a clean install of 7 and make sure to get the latest Intel RST drivers and the latest Intel chipset drivers for it. Also there are a lot of good tweaks to do as well to increase the longevity of your SSD and a few for performance.


I plugged the HDD that wasn't fully working and put it in one of the 2 additional sata3 ports and that is fine. I will reinstall windows on my SSD though. I did a few of those tweaks already to my SSD when it was running my old mobo and cpu but I'll have to do them again with my new install. Which ones in particular would you recommend?

Thanks for the response.
September 24, 2011 6:36:49 PM

I would suggest saving/backing up all of your files and then completely reinstalling Windows. Try not to do an "upgrade" just start from a fresh install.
!