crazediamond

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Sorry, this is probably confusing but I'm including all the details to help speed things up, I've got computer specs at the end. The short version is I've tried 2 different Galaxy GTX 560 Ti cards and both are unable to do anything that requires more complex graphics than a windows display.

The long version:

Several weeks bought a Galaxy GTX 560 ti to replace my aging EVGA GTX 260. When the new card came I removed the old card and installed the new card. (I now understand that meant that I missed a step), and windows would load but when I tried any games it would just sit there on a black screen and/or lock up the computer. If I tried activating my second monitor both screens turned black. I attached the two extra PSU cables to the card. I tried using the older version of the drivers that came with the card, the current Nvidia drivers and a beta version of the drivers, as well as the windows vista drivers for it, to no avail. Same problem no matter what.

I upgraded my PSU from an Apevia 750W, which didn't have enough current on the 12v rail (but still powered the gtx 260 which had greater power demands) to a Thermaltake 850W PSU with more than enough current. It didn't make a difference.

Galaxy's "24/7" customer support suggest that I update my BIOS (I was using the most up to date one available) and plug in the power cables (I'm not that dumb, I did that :p). Nothing helped so I RMA'd the card with Newegg and today the replacement came.

This time I removed the GTX 260 from the device manager and then used DriverSweeper to remove all traces of the drivers. I also updated the motherboard's nforce drivers. However, it is doing the exact same thing. Windows loads ok, when I try and run a game it craps out. After that I have to use the reset button, and when it was back to windows the resolution was quite low, when I tried setting it back to the native resolution the computer locked up. This is the same behavior the first card exhibited.

I don't know what to do and am really frustrated since right now it looks like I just got a $250 paper weight. I've tried it with WoW, League of Legends and BC:2.

At this point I'll pretty much do anything to get this to work, but my preference is to not spend a ton of money replacing the rest of my computer's components.

edit for more detailed graphics card info: Galaxy 56NGH6HS4IXZ GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16. Factory overclocked.

Computer specs:

Motherboard Manufacturer and Model: Asus 780SLI P5N-T Delux
CPU/Speed: Intel Q9450 2.66 ghz
RAM: OCZ 4 x 2 gb pc8500
HD: 500 gb sata II
Video Card: Galaxy GTX 560 Ti :(
Sound Card: creative x-fi pci
NIC Manufacturer/Model: onboard nic
Power Supply Brand and Wattage: Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W
Operating System: vista home premium 64 bit

crazediamond

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
That question might not be too dumb, I'm not positive what you mean. I've plugged the 2 extra power cables from the PSU into the card. I used the hardwired cables and not 2 modular cables. Oh, if you're asking if I've managed to plug the monitor into the motherboard's video card? It doesn't have one, but that's totally something I would accidentally do if it was an option. Window's device manager only sees the GTX 560 Ti and doesn't report any problems. I've also unplugged the second monitor (it wasn't activated anyhow) and it didn't improve things.

The video card did come with it's own CD. That's where the NVidia 266.58 drivers came from. The current 266.66 and 270.26 (beta) drivers I got from NVidia's site.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hmmm, I'll have to check my drivers when I get home. It had the 266.58 but that one wouldn't work. The other option on my cd was an msi 560ti driver 266.44 I believe. The .58 didn't work but the .44 one did. Might try finding that driver to see if that fixes your problem.

crazediamond

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

Unfortunately I can't find a vista 64 bit copy of that driver. Various searches seemed to indicate that it was leaked and not generally released, and nvidia certainly doensn't have it anywhere I can find. Currently I've got my gtx 260 back in so i can use my computer for something.

p0dog

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
Huh, I have the exact same problem with Galaxy, except its the standard gtx 560 with 2gb of memory.

I did basically everything you did except rma the device. Replaced a 630w psu because it was only outputting 20A on the rails. The new 850w psu is outputting 30A on the rails, the box says minimum of 24A. I thought the bios may have been corrupt because at time it will not display anything on the screen as my pc was booting. So I updated the bios with the latest. And finally re-installed my video card drivers. Everything I did was a no-go.

But I did notice something odd, I disconnected my second monitor (smaller and no dvi or hdmi connectors) thinking the dvi-to-vga was too heavy and putting strain on the secondary connector( the main connector had a dvi to hdmi cable, no strain) and it worked fine. I just noticed that every time I connect the second monitor it goes berserk.

I'm thinking these things cant handle a second monitor.

I will call galaxy and rma the device when I get the chance.

Any solutions would be appreciated.

Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Raidmax 850w PSU Modular
Gigabyte GA-P45T-ES3G Mobo
16gb GSKILL 1600 Memory
Intel Core 2 quad q9550 at default speed

crazediamond

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

So the 2nd monitor I had definitely made things worse but even removing it didn't help. I was basically faced with spending a ton of money trouble shooting so I just ended up getting a parts for a whole new computer, and put the card in and it worked fine. So who knows, apparently my mobo?? was the culprit somehow I guess.