Sign in with
Your question

Which Card Should i get to play recent games on high quality ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 15, 2011 2:36:38 AM

Hi i bought 2 months ago cpu with those stats...

Acer
Model : Aspire Z3101 --» all-in-one cpu
-AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor 3.00 Ghz
-4gb RAM
- WIndows 7 64bits
Touch screen--­­» useless i do not recommend it..
-Nvidia GeForce 9200
ACPI x64-based pc
well thats most of it for the important stuff...

And im very disapointed, i dont know much about computer it was 700$ from costco and i wanted this computer to play games, recent games.
I just want to play games like
Oblivion
Just Cause 2
Fallout New vegas
i can play SIms Medieval on customized lowmed-low settings
and some other games that i didnt buy yet .. anyway i cant play my games with good graphics and its pissing me off.
ex. i play new vegas and enemies start shooting at me 30seconds before i see them.. because i had to decrease the view distance to the minimum.

Anyways.. i would like advices on which commercial ( some that i could find in the computers costco sells ) graphic card i should go for.. or if you see a computer costco is selling around 700$ that would have decent to good gaming capacities, be sure id be very thankful ! and i cant really get a pc out of costco because i can exchange my computer within the 1.5-2 next months but i can get a refund so .. ill just go for a computer trade and pay the balance if the one good for gaming is a little more expensive .. annnd well thats kinda all ..

Oh and .. i dont think i want to get another all-in-one crap PC , this time im planning to get on with an old school desktop, with all the stuff separated..
<
Thanks a lot for reading , i hope someone will be helping me soon or later :) 
April 15, 2011 2:38:49 AM

So you're keeping the computer and just upgrading the video card? If so, what's your price range for a new video card?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2011 2:48:11 AM

The best GPU at costo (in stores) would be a 5770, which would be plenty (actually too much) for your needs, but price is a bit high though.

If you see something with a HD6650, HD5570, HD5670, or GT430+, and its a good price, go ahead for that.

But other than those, your best buy would actually those $350 (I think) eMachine/Acer desktops with a dual/tri/quad Athlon CPUs plus an aftermarket 5670/5570 (and a PSU preferably) slapped in it.
m
l
Related resources
April 15, 2011 2:50:17 AM

coreydmorton said:
So you're keeping the computer and just upgrading the video card? If so, what's your price range for a new video card?

No im going to bring the whole package back and get a new computer..
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2011 2:50:35 AM

I don't think all-in-one's have expansion slots do they?

Are you willing to assemble your own PC, or are you stuck buying a pre-built? If pre-built does it have to be from costco? They don't seem to have a huge selection and all there computers seem to be in need of a graphics upgrade.

To stay under 700 bucks you could buy this: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=116256...|84|56671&N=4047237 4294908836&Mo=10&No=10&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Then spend 200 bucks on a decent power supply and an HD 6850 or GTX 460.
m
l
April 15, 2011 2:51:55 AM

Partial Strip said:
No im going to bring the whole package back and get a new computer..

hmm you don't really need to do that :p  You just need to upgrade the gpu hehe :p  Also the person above me just recommended a 5770, which i agree with, it's a very good card for it's price.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2011 2:54:55 AM

^Have you ever seen an all-in-one PC?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2011 2:55:21 AM

coreydmorton said:
hmm you don't really need to do that :p  You just need to upgrade the gpu hehe :p  Also the person above me just recommended a 5770, which i agree with, it's a very good card for it's price.

I was talking about HPs with 5770s, he cant possibly upgrade that AIO, I don't think it even has an MXM slot.

To note, costco's website and store has completely difference offerings, all that have in stores are Acers, Dells, and HPs.

Finally @OP, I just saw that you could return the AIO, since you have that option, I would strongly suggest you build your own and have some fun. Its really worth it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2011 2:58:10 AM

benski said:

Not really, there's a couple of AIOs with socketed CPUs and MXM cards, making them "completely" upgradable.
m
l
April 15, 2011 2:58:25 AM

benski said:

haha woops. I've actually never seen an all in one pc. I thought all in one meant like a pc combo, thanks for the update.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2011 3:00:24 AM

It's like a laptop that doesn't fold out and has an external keyboard pretty much lol.
m
l
April 15, 2011 3:02:11 AM

coreydmorton said:

Well hold can i know if this new graphic card or whatever a 5770 is without having to open my computer cause i dont think im good enough with computers and the warranty might just take off
m
l
April 15, 2011 3:03:10 AM

benski said:
It's like a laptop that doesn't fold out and has an external keyboard pretty much lol.

sounds like a crappy deal, perhaps he should take your advice and get a pc he can tangle with. (a tower) Also, it seems for 700 he could get a much better pc if it weren't an AIO. For 700 you could get a GTX 570 and a decent motherboard/cpu/psu combo going on :p  haha
m
l
April 15, 2011 3:06:54 AM

Partial Strip said:
Well hold can i know if this new graphic card or whatever a 5770 is without having to open my computer cause i dont think im good enough with computers and the warranty might just take off

I don't really have enough experience with AIO pc's to know whether or not you can upgrade the video card, especially to one that's as big as the 5770.....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2011 3:55:53 AM

It is much easier than you think to put a video card in a desktop PC (although totally impossible in your current all-in-one). Every single computer on the Costco website is going to suck for gaming compared to what you pay for it. The one I linked to earlier ( http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=116256...|84|56671&N=4047237 ) at least has a dedicated video card. I think you have to spend like 900 bucks at costco to get one that's a step up for gaming with an HD 5570.

m
l
Related resources
!