Sign in with
Your question

Mobo & RAM for heavy duty imaging

Last response: in Motherboards
June 15, 2012 12:01:10 AM

Hello, I have build several rigs in the past but have fairly specific needs now and have hard time selecting mobo/ram/ssd combo.
I work with very large Photoshop files (2-10GB each) and intend to store 10-20 TB worth of images. So I need as much Ram as I can get (64GB minimum) and plenty of SATA ports to expand storage as needed (8 ports minimum). Asrock, Asus and MSI provide several main boards that meet my requirements but from what I read I see that very few people have experimented with 64-128 GB of RAM. Conflicting information about RAM compatibility makes matter worse - motherboard manufacturers list one type, Corsair lists another, some RAM makers don't list anything, some Motherboard retailers list all kinds of RAM as compatible and most people who try to fill all 8 DIMM slots with high density RAM report problems. Top it with abundant customer dissatisfaction with DOA RAM, unstable boards, outdated BIOS, problematic RAIDs and self-defeating component layouts and you can become totally confused on what to order. I hope that some imaging professionals have already build similar rig to what I am looking for and don't mind sharing their configuration. I will also appreciate any specific advise from experienced system builders as to reliability current boards and compatibility of RAM.
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2012 12:18:56 AM

I would think you would need a high end LGA 2011 board for that level of ram.
m
l
Related resources
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 15, 2012 1:26:21 AM

m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 15, 2012 1:27:35 AM

m
l
June 15, 2012 6:12:31 PM

CPU(s) speed is secondary for my type of Photoshop work. The biggest bottleneck for me is RAM. The difference in speed between operations happening completely in RAM and operations that are partially swamped to the HDD are one or two orders of magnitude apart (x10, x100), while better CPUs may increase the the speed only twice or so. All I need is someone who has build stable LGA 2011 system with 64 GB of RAM and 8 hard drives in RAID1 configuration (4 mirrors) to list his components. 128 GB of RAM would be even better, but I don't think there are any 16 GB RAM sticks out there.

Thank you your suggestion though.
m
l
!