GPU temp questions

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hello

I have a GTX 570 that is installed in a small XPS case. I am building a computer.

When I asked about good gpu temps I was told but it was in Farenheit. What is a safe operational temp in Celcius?

The MSI afterburner I am using to moniter the temp is in Celcius.

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

Thanks I will keep it around those temps max.

wato69

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
yeah no problems....you can set the fan speed on the card with msi afterburner as a percentage....i think it goes up to 70 percent but yer you just un-check auto and you can adjust slider to your desire...really handy when Overclocking a card.

Computer temps are usually discussed in Celsius. Not sure who is using Fahrenheit.

A good way to gauge your card temps is by looking at review sites. They typically have a temp chart. Tom's doesn't seem to have one for the 570 review, but Anandtech did. Under load playing Crysis it hit 82C. Running FurMark 88C. According to Nvidia's site the MAX GPU temp is 97C.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4051/nvidias-geforce-gtx-570-filling-in-the-gaps/15

What I take from this is typical heavy game temps will be low 80's, 80-84C for heavy GPU games. For benchmark stress tests I would expect high 80s, 85-89C. Anything over these temps I would start to be concerned. Just remember this is on a completely stock cooled card. These may vary depending on how the manufacture sets the fan profiles or if it has an upgraded cooler. Some are more aggressive than others in this area. So if one person has an ASUS and says, anything over 75C is bad because I never go over that, might not apply to someone that has an EVGA with a less aggressive fan profile.

I tend to set my profile manually and be a little more aggressive at higher temps. I am using MSI afterburner as it has a nice fan adjustment.

macheras

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

Honestly, 70 C seems like a low limit to recommend.

As a data point, my EVGA SC GTX 570 hits aroune 68-70 C while playing Rift. This is in a HAF X case with stock cooling and no manual change in fan speed on my card. I can't see this being an issue personally.

wato69

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010

yeah man...thats just based on my experience....in no way shape or form is it the right answer....but i like to play it safe when dealing with expensive compnents...i have yet to reach 70 degrees celsisus in any game on my gtx 480 under heavy strain while overclocked.....but this is due to my use of the msi afterburner fan controller....sure it makes alot of noise when its cranked up...but it'll prevent the card from over heating in most cases aswell as keep it from hitting 70 degrees. The highest ive gotten on it was 68 degrees.