Second monitor not working for dual display

Tags:
  • ASRock
  • Monitors
  • Motherboards
  • Displays
Last response: in Motherboards
June 15, 2012 12:08:06 AM

I just came from the store after buying a second monitor to dual screening.

I installed an ATI PowerColor 6850 GPU on the Asrock G41M-VS3 R2.0 MOBO. The GPU has two DVI slots, I use adapters for both VGA monitors. Both monitors work fine in the first slot (along the plugin confirmation sound). And if I connect any of both monitors to the second slot I won't get anything, nor a signal or confirmation sound.

I also tried auto detecting via Catalyst Control Center and Windows Desktop Resolution. I have the latest drivers installed.

Please help me out!

More about : monitor working dual display

June 15, 2012 1:12:18 AM

Will the second DVI port work for either monitor alone? Are both adapters working properly?
Score

Best solution

a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2012 2:09:13 PM

Although AMD GPU's comes with 2 x DVI ports, one of them is DVI-D (Digital) and the other is DVI-I (Analog). The DVI-I is the one with 4pins around the flat PIN in the DVI. The 4 PIN is for the analog to which the DVI to VGA adaptor connects.

So if you put a DVI-VGA adaptor to the DVI-D, there is no 4PIN to which the adaptor will get the analog signal. I wonder how your adaptor fits into the DVI-D because in my experience, the DVI to VGA adaptor have the 4PINs which do not have the holes to go thru in the DVI-D port.
Related resources
June 22, 2012 1:16:39 AM

Indeed, luckily my old DELL monitor has a DVI port, so I ended up buying a DVI Male to Male, plugged it on the second DVI port(which as you said is digital only) and worked right away.

Thanks!
Score
June 22, 2012 1:16:56 AM

Best answer selected by lonrot.
Score
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2012 1:25:18 AM

That's great to hear. Enjoy!
Score
a b C Monitor
a c 329 V Motherboard