Closed Solved

Second monitor not working for dual display

I just came from the store after buying a second monitor to dual screening.

I installed an ATI PowerColor 6850 GPU on the Asrock G41M-VS3 R2.0 MOBO. The GPU has two DVI slots, I use adapters for both VGA monitors. Both monitors work fine in the first slot (along the plugin confirmation sound). And if I connect any of both monitors to the second slot I won't get anything, nor a signal or confirmation sound.

I also tried auto detecting via Catalyst Control Center and Windows Desktop Resolution. I have the latest drivers installed.

Please help me out!
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about second monitor working dual display
  1. Will the second DVI port work for either monitor alone? Are both adapters working properly?
  2. Best answer
    Although AMD GPU's comes with 2 x DVI ports, one of them is DVI-D (Digital) and the other is DVI-I (Analog). The DVI-I is the one with 4pins around the flat PIN in the DVI. The 4 PIN is for the analog to which the DVI to VGA adaptor connects.

So if you put a DVI-VGA adaptor to the DVI-D, there is no 4PIN to which the adaptor will get the analog signal. I wonder how your adaptor fits into the DVI-D because in my experience, the DVI to VGA adaptor have the 4PINs which do not have the holes to go thru in the DVI-D port.
  3. Indeed, luckily my old DELL monitor has a DVI port, so I ended up buying a DVI Male to Male, plugged it on the second DVI port(which as you said is digital only) and worked right away.

Thanks!
  4. Best answer selected by lonrot.
  5. That's great to hear. Enjoy!
  6. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

ASRock Monitors Motherboards Displays