My First PC Build, $800-1000

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 28, 2011 3:11:16 AM

Hi all,

I've been browsing this site for a little while, and am looking to build my PC pretty soon here. Here's what I've come up with after doing some research on various sites. Please let me know if there is anything you would change. My budget is a little flexible but I really don't want to spend more then I need to.

Uses: some gaming (mainly diablo 3, maybe some MMOs), casual software dev, casual photo editing
All prices are from newegg.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition $114
Mobo: ASRock M3A770DE AM3 770 ATX $60 (not really sure at all about which mobo to choose but this one seemed like it would work and had decent reviews on newegg)
RAM: G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1333 $70 (would prefer a lot of RAM for the software developing)
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $65
GPU: 1GB AMD Radeon HD6850 $160
Case: NZXT GAMMA Classic Series GAMA-001BK $50
PSU: APEX AL-D500EXP 500W ATX12V $45 (wasn't sure about PSU either, this just had enough W at decent reviews. would need to upgrade this when/if I ever want to crossfire I guess)
ODD: LiteOn DVD burner $21
Monitor: ASUS VW246H 24" $230

Grand Total: $915

Let me know if you think anything is unnecessary, or if there is an upgrade that you think would really be worth it.

Also I'm not sure when the best time to build is going to be. I don't really need it before Diablo 3 comes out but I'm getting extremely sick of my ancient PC and would like to build soon. If anyone has any insight on when the best time to build would be (within the next 6 or 8 months) as far as bang for your buck, I would be all ears.

Thanks!!

More about : build 800 1000

June 28, 2011 6:52:25 AM

Get an Atec Earthwatts 380D or 430D (both cost around $40 on Amazon). AFAIK the NZXT Gamma shouldn't cost more than $35. Take a look at the NZXT Beta Evo for $45. Killer case.

Other than that everything looks pretty sweet.

If you dont need it immediately, I suggest you wait. The new AMD line of processors are due very soon, and there might be a significant shift in processor prices, not to mention general price drops over time.

You can check the blog in my sig. It's continuously updated with new products and prices.
m
l
June 28, 2011 8:31:18 AM

^+1 for waiting for Bulldozer if you can.

If you need the rig now, consider one of the AM3+ socket motherboards, would at least give you the option to upgrade to a bulldozer CPU.
The selection isn't very good yet and any decent ones tend to go up in price quite a bit. So basically the bulldoze CPU's can't get here soon enough.

Otherwise I have a couple of Asrock 870 Extreme 3 boards which are great, so you might consider that as an alternative if you stay with an AM3 socket.
At $89.99 it is a great deal, but admittedly it is $30 more expensive than the current one in your list. Comes with Sata 6Gb/s, USB3 and crossfire support though so you get a lot for that extra money.

Crossfire for the 6850 you should manage with a 650-750W Psu so if you do plan on doing that at some point I would recommend getting a PSU that can handle it now. Also then you would need a MB that can handle the crossfire and the one I listed above would fit the bill nicely.
XFX Core Edition 650W PSU $89.99 ( $59.99 after rebate ) would fill the PSU requirement for minimal cost and still be a quality PSU.

So to sum up: $30 more of MB and $20 more for PSU and you can get 6850 crossfire by just getting a 2nd 6850 later and plugging it in.
m
l
Related resources
June 28, 2011 1:49:06 PM

Great feedback! Thank you both! Any idea when the new processors are going to drop? If it's supposed to be within the next few months then I'll definitely hold off.
m
l
June 28, 2011 7:44:05 PM

I guess the rumours go between a week and a couple of months. I would think that AMD very much wants that stuff out for the "back to school" season.
m
l
!