Sign in with
Your question

Ram Upgrade Issue

Last response: in Memory
June 15, 2012 12:46:53 AM

Good evening,

I have a system I have been working on, a custom build with an Asus Rampage IV motherboard. Originally, I had three sticks of Mushkin Enhanced Blackline, PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 C9-9-9-24, 3x4GB sticks, for 12GB of ram, and everything worked great.

The other day, I bought two more 4GB sticks of the same ram, which should have equaled 20GB. However, after installing the new RAM, I noticed the system booted incredibly slow, and the RAM shows up as 12GB. Upon further inspection, I found out that two of the old sticks were not being picked up at all, and the two new ones were. Meaning when I took out the two new sticks and had the old ones in the same spot, the system registered 4GB of RAM.

Any idea what's going on? Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT:

Here's what I bought initially

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=52621&vpn=998776&manufact...

and then I added this:

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60640&vpn=996995&manufact...

More about : ram upgrade issue

a c 251 } Memory
a c 1163 V Motherboard
June 15, 2012 12:57:26 AM

Those will have a hard time working together since one set is 1.5volts the other 1.65volts! Optimally you want either to run 3sticks or 6sticks in your motherboard, 5 being a odd number there. So why do you need more than 12GB?
m
l
June 15, 2012 1:00:28 AM

rolli59 said:
Those will have a hard time working together since one set is 1.5volts the other 1.65volts! Optimally you want either to run 3sticks or 6sticks in your motherboard, 5 being a odd number there. So why do you need more than 12GB?

You're right, I just looked at the basic specs and didn't notice the voltage! And I personally wouldn't need more than 12GB, i was just helping someone I knew with it, and they wanted to upgrade.

I know some BIOS'es let you change the RAM voltage to the same amount, do you suppose that would be a possible solution here, or would I just be out of luck?

Also, why do you think the old RAM would only be showing 4GB after unplugging the new RAM?
m
l
Related resources
a c 251 } Memory
a c 1163 V Motherboard
June 15, 2012 1:07:07 AM

It might have something to do with not recognizing all channels or the voltage defaulted to 1.5volts and simply is not enough for the old modules except 1. The board is made for triple (3 or 6sticks) dual (2 or 4 sticks) and single channel.
I suggest trying to get a matching set of three but the 1.5volt ram should run better on higher voltage than the other one on lower.
m
l
June 15, 2012 1:09:04 AM

rolli59 said:
It might have something to do with not recognizing all channels or the voltage defaulted to 1.5volts and simply is not enough for the old modules except 1. The board is made for triple (3 or 6sticks) dual (2 or 4 sticks) and single channel.
I suggest trying to get a matching set of three but the 1.5volt ram should run better on higher voltage than the other one on lower.

Alright, I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks for your help! Shoulda read the fine print and not assumed that the same type of ram would operate at the same voltage!
m
l
June 16, 2012 1:37:17 AM

Okay, I tried bumping up the voltage slightly, and it did seem to get the two sticks to show up, however, I'm just going to return the two new 1.5V sticks. However, there's a new problem. The three sticks of 4GB (12GB) that were initially in the system now only show up as 8GB. I installed a program to show information about the RAM, and it picks up the three 4GB sticks in the system, saying the total is 12288 MB of ram, 12GB. But, system information shows that there is only 8GB usable. Checking voltages shows that it is running at 1.65V. Why would it only be picking up 2 sticks?

I have also ran a memory diagnostic program, which returned no errors.

Edit: I've also tried reseating, swapping places, nothing seems to get it to be picked up by the system. It also shows as 8GB in the BIOS.

Any ideas?
m
l
a c 251 } Memory
a c 1163 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 1:56:55 AM

Reseat all modules then try resetting BIOS to defaults, easy by removing the motherboard battery for 30sec. Then boot up again.
m
l
June 16, 2012 1:59:41 AM

Okay I will try that, however I did already reset the BIOS to defaults.
m
l
!