Video Card dieing?

hydris

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
My computer has been having repeated blue screens lately and it appears to be related to the video card as the last time my computer crashed when i went to restart it had a long beep followed by 2 short beeps which seems to point to a video problem. Odd thing is the 4850 runs games fine it just crashes after a random amount of time being on.

Before the last crash i had tried older drivers thinking maybe i was having trouble after installing the latest ones. When that didn't work i tried a reformat so i tried it with a fresh install and didn't seem to crash before i installed drivers but I only had it running without them for a little while and the crashes are quite unpredictable. I also tried dual booting in linux and i have yet to have a single problem while running ubuntu 10.10 and I used it for most of the day. Where in 3 hours in windows 7 it has crashed twice.

I just have trouble believing that my graphics card likes ubuntu enough to soldier on while running windows for a hour or so will lead to a failure. Figured I would see if you guys have any ideas i could try before i scrap the old card since it still runs games good enough for me.

I used blue screen viewer to see what caused the crash and it has shown a few different things i wish i would have thought to back up the errors before reformatting. Its not a heat problem as I monitored the temps and they all stayed in the same ranges I'm used to seeing. The power supply is new but I would like to believe i wouldn't get 2 messed up ones in a row from newegg, Also tried testing the ram and they worked fine and memtest gave them the all clear.

Sorry if I'm a little hard to follow kinda tired from fighting with my computer all day. At least if it is the graphics card i will have an answer to the problem

hydris

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
CPU-Core i7 920/stock cooler not oced
Mobo-Gateway TBGM01
Video Card-Radeon 4850 1gb
HD-Seagate speccy has the serial as 9QK1WMVP
Ram-Gskill ripjaws 10666
PSU-CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
Case-Antec 300 Illusion

Windows 7 ultimate 64

So far it has only had the long beep 2 short beep happen one time at start up. I did try reseating the 4850 and swapping which 6 pin was connected neither seemed to help.

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Your specs seem fine. Initally I would have said a PSU problem but it's probably unlikely as it's new and excellent brand. Have you tried re-seating all your components on your Mobo, and also checked your power connections are correct on the vid card?

hydris

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Re-seating was one of the first things i tried that was one of my friends favorite things to do for some reason he had a computer fail and would re-seat it daily just to see if it would like him that day so i gave it a shot. I also checked all the connectors and stuff and it all seems fine.