Computer won't turn on, motherboard light is on

A family member recently broke the audio port on my motherboard by tripping on a wire. I purchased a sound card to resolve this issue, i dismantled the computer after the audio port was broken because I thought I had to replace the motherboard. A very small screw fell into the top of the PSU when i was taking the pc apart, I removed it by shaking the PSU lightly and letting it fall out the top. Upon assembling the computer again with the new sound card installed I found it would not power on. The light on the motherboard turn on and stays a solid green but the pc won't boot. Can anyone offer any advice on what to do? Could the small screw have somehow broken the PSU? It's a Corsair 850 watt PSU aswell so it's pretty decent and I am astonished if that is the problem. Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about computer turn motherboard light
  1. remove and reseat the sound card.

Try that

If it still doesn't boot, remove the sound card and try booting.
  2. Yeah i tried that, anything else? Is it likely that a small screw (the ones used for srewing in a motherboard) could break the PSU? It was only in for a few minutes, I gently shook the PSU untill it fell out the top. It rattled around inside a bit but I will be amazed if that broke it.
  3. Although very unlikely, I suppose anything is possible. The best way to check your PSU is by using a digital multimeter.

Orange = +3.3 V
    Brown = +3.3V
    Blue = -12V
    Red = +5V
    Yellow = +12V
    Green = +5V
    Purple = +5V (standby)
    Gray = 0 to +5V (zero when powered off, upto +5V when the case switch is turned on)

Assuming that the system was still working after the audio port broke, the next thing that comes to mind is a short circuit. To test this theory, breadboard your system.

1. remove all hardware from the mobo, except for the CPU/Heatsink
    2. remove mobo from case, and place it on a non-conductive surface (wood, cardboard, etc)
    3. remove the PSU from the case (this makes step 5 easier)
    4. insert one stick of RAM
    5. connect the PSU cables (24-pin and CPU)
    6. connect your monitor to the mobo, or install a GPU, then connect the monitor
    7. using a flathead screwdriver, jump the PWR_SW pins to turn on/off the power to the mobo.

If the above steps don't work, try moving the RAM to a different slot. Repeat until all RAM has been used in all slots. For example: [CPU] | _ _ _ ; [CPU] _ | _ _; etc.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Computers Motherboards Sound Cards Components