Sign in with
Your question

PC won't start

Last response: in Systems
June 28, 2011 5:34:19 AM

NOTE READ FIRST: I'm new to Toms hardware, if I am in the wrong forum, or have done something wrong just tell me calmly, not like a savage beast

Also, don't link me to the sticky addressing PC start up problems. I have tried everything on there.

Okay, so now to my problem. I recently got the parts for my PC, put it together... and nothing. Looked on the web a little bit, no luck. So I took it to my friends grandpa (he's a computer guy too) and his guess was a faulty PSU. So I filed for RMA, and a couple weeks later got the PSU. Well today I got it. I installed it, still nothing. By now I was P'd off.

So I looked, looked, and looked on the web to find my problem. I found a good forum on Tom's hardware, but still didn't help my problem. I am only getting a green LED informing me the PSU has basic power, and the LED for Core Unlocker. Earlier both were flashing, but they stopped.

I hear no beeps from the speaker. No sudden on and off switches. No fans, just nothing. :sweat: 

I don't have much info since there isn't much for me to find, so... I guess I'll just leave you with my specifications.

Motherboard: Asus M4N75TD

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 @3.0GhZ

PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 550W

Video Card: Gigabyte GTS 450 1GB

RAM: Corsair DDR3 2GB (2X2)

Case: AzzA Solano 1000

More about : start

June 28, 2011 6:30:24 AM

Are you sure the front panel connectors are connected properly (if you haven't already checked that)?
m
l
June 28, 2011 8:50:52 AM

Yeah it sounds like maybe the front panel cables are connected wrong somewhere. Check you have them the right way round, ground and + ect. And make sure you consult the mobo manual to find which pins they should be connected to.
m
l
Related resources
June 28, 2011 8:53:10 AM

^ also something i saw in a NewEgg video, although personally i dont reccomend it - try shorting the motherboard to test for power. You can do this by using a screw driver to touch both of the power pins thus linking them together and causing the motherboard to power up. If this works, then you know its the front panel cables that are connected wrong, if this doesnt work then its more likely a mobo or PSU issue.
m
l
June 28, 2011 10:02:44 AM

AdrianPerry said:
^ also something i saw in a NewEgg video, although personally i dont reccomend it - try shorting the motherboard to test for power. You can do this by using a screw driver to touch both of the power pins thus linking them together and causing the motherboard to power up. If this works, then you know its the front panel cables that are connected wrong, if this doesnt work then its more likely a mobo or PSU issue.

If you are just connecting the power pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver then there is absolutely no chance of damaging the motherboard any more than pressing the power button would. Pressing the power button works on the exact same principal of connecting those two pins electrically. Just don't connect any of the other two pins!

The green LED on the motherboard signals that the power supply is delivering power to the motherboard. This should show that the power supply is working.

if that fails I'd start by Breadboarding your components. Make sure the PC speaker is connected correctly so you can hear the beeps and start with just your motherboard , CPU, heatsink, and powersupply out on a sheet of cardboard ... and listen for the beeps to say there is no RAM. (you'll have to use the method with the screwdriver to start up the computer). Then add RAM + test, add GPU + test, etc until you have a built system. (BE VERY CAREFUL OF STATIC ELECTRICITY ... DO NOT DO THIS ON A WINDY DAY)

The only other rookie mistake that MIGHT cause this issue is if you forgot the motherboard standoffs ... weird symptoms for that though :|

m
l
June 28, 2011 5:13:10 PM

You guys forgot to do something, If the computer wont start and it's not the front panel connect problem, than it's sure to be the CPU... If CPU not their(Or dead) it wont start... CPU is like a BRAIN processing units like our brain which tells us when to wake up or start(Turns on and off)... Just take the Heatsink off and check the cpu pins if it's bent OR reseat the CPU.. The computer wont start without a CPU so either check the pins or it's the front panel button that didn't work LOL...
m
l
June 28, 2011 6:29:47 PM

legendkiller said:
You guys forgot to do something, If the computer wont start and it's not the front panel connect problem, than it's sure to be the CPU... If CPU not their(Or dead) it wont start... CPU is like a BRAIN processing units like our brain which tells us when to wake up or start(Turns on and off)... Just take the Heatsink off and check the cpu pins if it's bent OR reseat the CPU.. The computer wont start without a CPU so either check the pins or it's the front panel button that didn't work LOL...

That's why the other poster recommended breadboard testing with just the CPU+M/B+PSU+heatsink
m
l
June 28, 2011 10:17:51 PM

Alright, thanks I'll try those things. But could someone remind what the front panel is? I'm having a bit of a blonde moment. And starting tomorrow I won't have access to the internet to check this forum, so don't worry about continuing this thread.
m
l
June 29, 2011 12:09:12 AM

front panel connections are just all the wires coming from the front of your case (should include power, reset, activity led's) Asus boards usually come with a Q-connector which is fairly handy when hooking up the front panel stuff, just follow the directions in the M/B manual carefully. Hopefully this is the issue so you don't have to go through the pain of another RMA
m
l
June 29, 2011 12:10:28 AM

There is also usually headphone/mic and usb wires but those plug into different headers than the power button etc.
m
l
!