Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Capwn069

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Ok so I built my computer a week or so ago. Everything works great except for one thing. It seems like every time I try to play on something even slightly graphic intensive (in this case Starcraft 2 or Crysis 2) every now and then my screen will randomly go completely black for 5-10 seconds then come back on, and usually everything is brighter when it does. Then it will do the black screen again some time later, and when the screen comes back it's normal again. It does this over and over again. I put Crysis 2 in windowed mode to see if it said anything after the black screen occurs, and sure enough there is an error message saying "Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 266.44 stopped responding and has successfully recovered." What can I do to make this stop? It's getting pretty frustrating. Thanks. Here's my build.

Gigabyte gtx 560 ti SOC edition
Asus P8P67 Pro B3 mobo
Intel core i7 2600k
8gb G-skill DDR3 RAM
Seasonic X-series 750w PSU
Windows 7 64 bit

Solution

Download MSI afterburner, there will be all the overclocking option you need for you GPU, including voltage (which you have to go into settings, and allow it to be changed) it'll explain how to change the volts when you open the program for the firs time (at least i'm pretty sure)

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Whats the golden rule on graphics issues? Come on...

Temperature or voltage...!

Check the gpu temps first with gpuz (since its free), then check to make SURE you are using the right power leads from that psu. Some people overuse certain power lines..

It won't hurt or harm the card in any way but it might give an indication of whether the card is just clocked higher than it can actually handle, I say this because I've seen quite a few forum posts concerning the 560 black screening and the Gigabyte cards to seem to seem to feature quite a bit more than any others.

BloodyLion

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
I had the same problem with my GTX 560 Ti when i played Crysis 2 and Homefront aswell as Bulletstorm!
and I didn't either know what the problem was.
But It didn't happen when I played other Games. And u can try to remove your drivers and install them again. I did that and not thing happend after that.

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

He's right, if your gpu is getting driver errors and disconnecting for your monitor, then it's probably an unstable overclock, if you don't want to downclock then just add a moderate amount of voltage to rule out the unstable overclock.

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Download MSI afterburner, there will be all the overclocking option you need for you GPU, including voltage (which you have to go into settings, and allow it to be changed) it'll explain how to change the volts when you open the program for the firs time (at least i'm pretty sure)

Solution

BloodyLion

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011

He can use the OC Guru that came with the video card its very good program as good as MSI afterburner!

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Well it doesn't really matter what you use, plus if he use's the one off the cd it'll be out of date, unless he updates it :p

As you are a self confessed 'newbie' messing around with voltages might not be a good idea as it's very easy to damage the GPU or VRM's by by going too high and you won't get a lot of warning before something goes pop.

BloodyLion

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011

Yes ure right :p
But when i tried to download OC Guru from Gigabyte it did not work and thats why I used my CD

Al Capwn069

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks guys. I downloaded msi afterburner and turned my GPUs from 950 mhz to 900mhz. Seems to have fixed the problem, although it still does it in Starcraft 2 alone. I seem to be having a lot of issues with that game, don't think it's an overclocking problem like it was with the other games. Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.