Your question

Want to make PC quieter

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 28, 2011 6:57:09 AM

About 3 months ago I put together a computer that seems great except for the noise. At first I thought it was the CPU cooler, then the power supply and now it seems the GPU is the noisiest component. I originally had new power supplies and CPU coolers picked now I see the GPU is noisy and it seems like I am replacing everything.

At this point, I see the GPU is probably the noisiest component; should I replace that? Would a quieter case solve my problem? I feel like I am on the road to just throwing parts at my issues

here is my build:
System: GA-P55-USB3 LGA1156 R
CPU: INTEL CORE I7 870 2.93G R
Graphics: VGA EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR 9500GT 1G R
PSU: Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-S-B 750W

More about : make quieter

June 28, 2011 8:16:49 AM

Well, user feedback / reviews say it is a loud card so it's always good to read reviews before buying something.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can buy a new case that is made of thicker metal to try to muffle the noise, but your best bet is to simply replace the card. You can buy the following HD 5670 for $60 after rebate. It is quiet according to the user feedback and it is also more powerful than your 9500GT. The HD 5670 can beat the 9600GT in many games, and can loose the the 9600GT in some games, but it can beat the 9500GT in any game.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
June 28, 2011 10:14:41 AM

yes, I did not think the noise would be a problem (my mistake). I needed a graphics card with two DVI outputs. I was thinking about trying to find a different fan or cooling system for it.

Do you have any recommendations or do you know where there are aftermarket GPU coolers for sale in the US?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 28, 2011 12:45:22 PM

Stagleton said:
About 3 months ago I put together a computer that seems great except for the noise. At first I thought it was the CPU cooler, then the power supply and now it seems the GPU is the noisiest component. I originally had new power supplies and CPU coolers picked now I see the GPU is noisy and it seems like I am replacing everything.

At this point, I see the GPU is probably the noisiest component; should I replace that? Would a quieter case solve my problem? I feel like I am on the road to just throwing parts at my issues

here is my build:
System: GA-P55-USB3 LGA1156 R
CPU: INTEL CORE I7 870 2.93G R
Graphics: VGA EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR 9500GT 1G R
PSU: Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-S-B 750W

EVGA Precision

EVGA Precision 2.0.3

EVGA, once again, sets itself apart from the rest with the EVGA Exclusive Precision Overclocking Utility. This program allows you to fine tune your EVGA graphics card for the maximum performance possible, with Core/Shader/Memory clock tuning, real time monitoring support including in-game, Logitech Keyboard LCD Display support, and compatibility with almost all EVGA graphics cards.

Features:

Independent or Synchronous control for fan and clock settings in a multi-GPU system
Allows up to 10 profiles, and ability to assign hotkeys to these profiles to allow in-game
Ability to view temperatures in the system tray
Fan profiling system
Core/Shader Clock Link/Unlink capability
Fan Speed manual or auto adjustment

If you are primarily doing 2D stuff it should be easy to dial back your fan speeds and find a sweet spot.

m
l
June 28, 2011 12:54:55 PM

Wisecracker said:
EVGA Precision

EVGA Precision 2.0.3

EVGA, once again, sets itself apart from the rest with the EVGA Exclusive Precision Overclocking Utility. This program allows you to fine tune your EVGA graphics card for the maximum performance possible, with Core/Shader/Memory clock tuning, real time monitoring support including in-game, Logitech Keyboard LCD Display support, and compatibility with almost all EVGA graphics cards.

Features:

Independent or Synchronous control for fan and clock settings in a multi-GPU system
Allows up to 10 profiles, and ability to assign hotkeys to these profiles to allow in-game
Ability to view temperatures in the system tray
Fan profiling system
Core/Shader Clock Link/Unlink capability
Fan Speed manual or auto adjustment

If you are primarily doing 2D stuff it should be easy to dial back your fan speeds and find a sweet spot.

:pfff:  sry to say my operating system is Ubuntu and mac; seems like it is only for windows based OS's as far as i can see
m
l