Sign in with
Your question

Laptop for Solidworks 2011

Last response: in Components
September 23, 2011 7:45:46 PM

Hello,I'm looking for a new Laptop to run Solidworks 2011. I've been looking at HP Eiltebook and Dell Precision. Both have I7 Intel 2630QM processors 6 MB cache 2 GHz, 8GB ram DDR3, 500 GB hard drives, and either a Quadro 2000M or an ATI FirePro M5950 graphics card. I want to run high end graphics for design presentations along with engineering simulations. I'm about to select one when I find a special on an Asus G74SX laptop with the same configuration but a different graphics card - Nividia GeForce GTX560M. The Asus is almost half the price of the other two brands. Does anyone have experience running Solidworks on an Asus? Does this GeForce graphics card support Soliworks high end presentation graphics and simulation? Your feedback is appreciated. Asus gets good reviews on other Forums, but I want to spend my money wisely.

More about : laptop solidworks 2011

September 30, 2011 9:52:30 PM

Civiledit,

I run a desktop with Soildwork's with the same video card. I work very well. My system is an i7-2600k @3.4 GHz, 12 GB 2000 MHz RAM, 64-bit Windows 7, GeForce GTX 560 Ti w/ 1 GB DDR5 memory, a WD VelociRaptor 300 GB HD (it runs @ 10,000 rpm) for the operating system and programs with a WD TB HD.

I have been wanting to buy the ASUS laptop waiting on Black Friday. I will then mirror the hard drive, so when i am with a client I will have all of the functionality of my desk top. I would recommend getting a soild state HD and keep a working copy on the main drive, just in case.

The NVIDA 560 card supports Direct X 11, it has CUDA support, Physix technology, 3D vision, a 256-bit memory interface and supports a high end HD graphics. The lap top comes with more video ram then I have on my card.

Runner24 ...I think you will be very happy with this laptop also their is a one year no questions asked policy for repair.
m
l
October 7, 2011 1:27:55 PM

civiledit said:
Civiledit,

I run a desktop with Soildwork's with the same video card. I work very well. My system is an i7-2600k @3.4 GHz, 12 GB 2000 MHz RAM, 64-bit Windows 7, GeForce GTX 560 Ti w/ 1 GB DDR5 memory, a WD VelociRaptor 300 GB HD (it runs @ 10,000 rpm) for the operating system and programs with a WD TB HD.

I have been wanting to buy the ASUS laptop waiting on Black Friday. I will then mirror the hard drive, so when i am with a client I will have all of the functionality of my desk top. I would recommend getting a soild state HD and keep a working copy on the main drive, just in case.

The NVIDA 560 card supports Direct X 11, it has CUDA support, Physix technology, 3D vision, a 256-bit memory interface and supports a high end HD graphics. The lap top comes with more video ram then I have on my card.

Runner24 ...I think you will be very happy with this laptop also their is a one year no questions asked policy for repair.

Hey Civiledit,
Thanks for the info.
m
l
Related resources
October 7, 2011 1:28:39 PM

Hey Civiledit,
Thanks for the info. It was helpful.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2011 12:21:38 AM

civiledit said:
Civiledit,

ok i got to point some stuff out. first dont recomend a laptop gpu cause you have the "same" one in your desktop. thats impossible and the performance difference is huge. also fyi when you clone that hard drive it will not work in your laptop. an OS is tied to the computer not the hard drive.

to the OP get the laptop with a workstation graphics card especially since you didnt mention wanting to game on it. these work station card are exponentially stronger at these types of programs over cards like the 560m. to make a comparision a workstation card(firepro/quadro) is an indy car and a normal gaming card is like a street car. you would never enter the street car in a indy race nor should you use a gaming card like the 560m for your application given the choice between the two.

the workstation cards are the way to go. i tooo recomend a SSD.
m
l
!