Sign in with
Your question
Closed

My newly built gaming computer randomly restarts (please help :()

Last response: in Components
September 23, 2011 7:58:24 PM

I just built a brand new gaming computer less than a week ago. I'm not the "most" tech savvy person, but if you can accurately describe stuff, then I can usually catch on :) 

Components
Case - Cooler Master HAF932
Power supply - Corsair 750HX
Processor - Intel i7-2600k
Motherboard - ASUS Z68 P8Z68-V PRO
Heatsink - Noctua 6 NH-D14
RAM - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 12800 (two pairs of these, so 16g ram)
Video Card - XFX Radeon 6970

Everything runs perfect except for one main issue:
-Every few hours that I'm using my computer, it will seemingly randomly restart or freeze. The only pattern that I can seem to find with the restarts/ freezes, is that it always happens while gaming (either sc2, wow, etc). It also froze once while I was watching a stream on justin.tv
My video card temperature never goes above 80C and from what I've read on the internet, it seems like video card temperatures don't really become an issue until around 100C.

This issue is really bothering me and some help would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thank you :) 

TL;DR - My new computer randomly restarts

September 23, 2011 8:30:30 PM

Well, you say BIOS reports a CPU fan error. There really might be one. I'm willing to bet that the max temp of 41C for CPU cores is low load temp, even with a nice Noctua. What about heavier loads? Try monitoring the temp during a prime95 run. Might be that the HSF is not seated properly and can't cope when decently stressed.
Also, make sure that the CPU fan is actually plugged into the "CPU FAN" header on the mobo. Maybe you plugged it into a "CHA FAN"- a header for miscellaneous chassis fans? This would keep your CPU fan spinning, but the mobo would not see it as a CPU fan. Though to be honest, I strongly suspect your rig would simply refuse to boot in that case.
Anyway, start off with these two things, then we can move on. I'm sure others will have suggestions as well :) 
Score
September 23, 2011 9:08:52 PM

Jay_83 said:
Well, you say BIOS reports a CPU fan error. There really might be one. I'm willing to bet that the max temp of 41C for CPU cores is low load temp, even with a nice Noctua. What about heavier loads? Try monitoring the temp during a prime95 run. Might be that the HSF is not seated properly and can't cope when decently stressed.
Also, make sure that the CPU fan is actually plugged into the "CPU FAN" header on the mobo. Maybe you plugged it into a "CHA FAN"- a header for miscellaneous chassis fans? This would keep your CPU fan spinning, but the mobo would not see it as a CPU fan. Though to be honest, I strongly suspect your rig would simply refuse to boot in that case.
Anyway, start off with these two things, then we can move on. I'm sure others will have suggestions as well :) 
Apparently I was silly and I did in fact have my heatsink plugged into my motherboard in a "CHA FAN" slot, so I fixed that. :)  After fixing that, when I started up my machine, it actually booted straight into windows 7 (when regularly it booted into the motherboard BIOS). I'm "assuming" that this means that my "CPU Fan error!" is fixed (although I'm not 100% sure).

I downloaded prime95 and ran it for 5 minutes, my cores each went up to around 48C. When I stopped the test, they quickly dropped back to mid 30s.

Also to note, before you replied, I had my computer restart whilst playing sc2 on high graphics settings, I noticed the Video Card temp slowly crawling up to the high 70s, then it restarted. When I don't have any games open, my vid card is at 55C. This is making me wonder if it is a video card issue.
Score
Related resources
September 23, 2011 9:53:48 PM

Rebrag said:
Apparently I was silly and I did in fact have my heatsink plugged into my motherboard in a "CHA FAN" slot, so I fixed that. :)  After fixing that, when I started up my machine, it actually booted straight into windows 7 (when regularly it booted into the motherboard BIOS). I'm "assuming" that this means that my "CPU Fan error!" is fixed (although I'm not 100% sure).

I downloaded prime95 and ran it for 5 minutes, my cores each went up to around 48C. When I stopped the test, they quickly dropped back to mid 30s.

Also to note, before you replied, I had my computer restart whilst playing sc2 on high graphics settings, I noticed the Video Card temp slowly crawling up to the high 70s, then it restarted. When I don't have any games open, my vid card is at 55C. This is making me wonder if it is a video card issue.

I'm not sure if graphics cards have a temperature threshold that will shut down the computer or restart it. That's odd. Are you sure the motherboard is mounted properly in the case and isn't touching anything metal? That graphics card temperature isn't bad either. Try taking it out and booting your computer off the intergrated graphics on the motherboard and see if the freezings occur or still happen. You should be able to determine if it's the graphics card causing it or not hopefully. Do the freezings happen only when gaming? Or when at the desktop for long enough as well?

***UPDATE*** If the graphics card is reaching 100C thats pretty high, I missed that part. Did you try cranking the fan speed too 100% while gaming? Also are you running any sound cards or anything in PCI slots? I got random freezes and BSOD when i was trying to run a sound card.
Score
September 23, 2011 10:59:49 PM

Gosu-Vu said:
I'm not sure if graphics cards have a temperature threshold that will shut down the computer or restart it. That's odd. Are you sure the motherboard is mounted properly in the case and isn't touching anything metal? That graphics card temperature isn't bad either. Try taking it out and booting your computer off the intergrated graphics on the motherboard and see if the freezings occur or still happen. You should be able to determine if it's the graphics card causing it or not hopefully. Do the freezings happen only when gaming? Or when at the desktop for long enough as well?

***UPDATE*** If the graphics card is reaching 100C thats pretty high, I missed that part. Did you try cranking the fan speed too 100% while gaming? Also are you running any sound cards or anything in PCI slots? I got random freezes and BSOD when i was trying to run a sound card.
No extra sound cards or anytihng extra in the PCI slots.

How do I edit the fan speed?

The freezings didn't happen when gaming, but the restarting did. I don't know if they're caused by same issue, I'm just trying to list everything off with specific details, the fan error is definitely fixed.
Score
September 23, 2011 11:01:02 PM

Rebrag said:
No extra sound cards or anytihng extra in the PCI slots.

How do I edit the fan speed?

The freezings didn't happen when gaming, but the restarting did. I don't know if they're caused by same issue, I'm just trying to list everything off with specific details, the fan error is definitely fixed.

Is your video card nvidia or ati?

Like is it a geforce 260 or a radeon 6970, or what.
Score
September 23, 2011 11:07:08 PM

Gosu-Vu said:
Is your video card nvidia or ati?

Like is it a geforce 260 or a radeon 6970, or what.
Radeon 6970, lol I'll edit the opening post
Score
September 23, 2011 11:25:56 PM

Gosu-Vu, I don't see where Rebrag said his 6970 reached 100C. I only see where he kept seeing that graphics card temps don't become a problem until around 100C.

Rebrag, you might just be experiencing BSOD's and the computer automatically restarts because you don't have the option disabled to not restart upon system failure. Your research is correct in that graphics card temps aren't an issue until 100C or so. Disable (uncheck) the 'Automatically restart' check box under the 'System Failure' section in the 'Startup and Recovery' settings.

Type "advanced system settings" in your start menu search field and click the 'Settings' button in the 'Startup and Recovery' section. Uncheck the 'Automatically restart' check box. Play again until it restarts or blue-screens and let us know which one actually happens.
Score
September 23, 2011 11:35:18 PM

arson94 said:
Gosu-Vu, I don't see where Rebrag said his 6970 reached 100C. I only see where he kept seeing that graphics card temps don't become a problem until around 100C.

Rebrag, you might just be experiencing BSOD's and the computer automatically restarts because you don't have the option disabled to not restart upon system failure. Your research is correct in that graphics card temps aren't an issue until 100C or so. Disable (uncheck) the 'Automatically restart' check box under the 'System Failure' section in the 'Startup and Recovery' settings.

Type "advanced system settings" in your start menu search field and click the 'Settings' button in the 'Startup and Recovery' section. Uncheck the 'Automatically restart' check box. Play again until it restarts or blue-screens and let us know which one actually happens.
Okay, playing now :) 

And you're right, mine has never gone above 80C to my knowledge. I was just stating that 100C was where other websites said the issues were.
Score
September 23, 2011 11:39:01 PM

Go go go!
Score
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
September 23, 2011 11:52:03 PM

are you fully functional now? if not, try testing your ram individually to see if you got a bad stick.
Score
September 23, 2011 11:54:45 PM

Quote:
are you fully functional now? if not, try testing your ram individually to see if you got a bad stick.

We're still waiting to see if his computer is really restarting instantly or if he's actually blue-screening after disabling the option to automatically restart upon system failures. He's currently playing a game to trigger the event.
Score
September 24, 2011 2:16:57 AM

arson94 said:
We're still waiting to see if his computer is really restarting instantly or if he's actually blue-screening after disabling the option to automatically restart upon system failures. He's currently playing a game to trigger the event.
Okay I set the settings like you said, and I didn't see a BSOD, it restarted completely.

I am utterly clueless as to what the issue is :( 
Score
September 24, 2011 2:53:29 AM

Rebrag said:
Okay I set the settings like you said, and I didn't see a BSOD, it restarted completely.

I am utterly clueless as to what the issue is :( 

Ok, no BSOD is more info than we had before so it's not necessarily bad yet. When your computer restarts while gaming, does your hdd make a clicking or clanking sound like metal on metal contact kind of sound right before or as it restarts?

If not, then let's do this. You said you ran prime95 before for 5 min, but that doesn't tell you anything more than just your temps rise to 48C in 5 minutes. You need to run it longer to see how high the temps really get. When you open prime95, a window pops up with settings for a torture test after you click 'just stress testing.' Choose 'In-place large FFTs...' make sure the number of torture test threads is set to 4. Well, the i7 2600k can do 8 threads so set it to 8 threads. Run prime95 until the temps get close to 70C or so (72.6C is max operating temperature for your CPU) or until the temps start to plateau and it takes a while for the temp to rise another degree.

This will let us know for sure if your CPU is overheating as it shouldn't get to 70C at stock settings I don't think unless your room temp is higher than normal, like close to 80F or higher. Also keep an eye on the prime95 window every now and to see if reports any errors for any of your cores/threads. If all turns out well, we'll have to check out your RAM next.
Score
September 24, 2011 3:24:53 AM

arson94 said:
Ok, no BSOD is more info than we had before so it's not necessarily bad yet. When your computer restarts while gaming, does your hdd make a clicking or clanking sound like metal on metal contact kind of sound right before or as it restarts?

If not, then let's do this. You said you ran prime95 before for 5 min, but that doesn't tell you anything more than just your temps rise to 48C in 5 minutes. You need to run it longer to see how high the temps really get. When you open prime95, a window pops up with settings for a torture test after you click 'just stress testing.' Choose 'In-place large FFTs...' make sure the number of torture test threads is set to 4. Well, the i7 2600k can do 8 threads so set it to 8 threads. Run prime95 until the temps get close to 70C or so (72.6C is max operating temperature for your CPU) or until the temps start to plateau and it takes a while for the temp to rise another degree.

This will let us know for sure if your CPU is overheating as it shouldn't get to 70C at stock settings I don't think unless your room temp is higher than normal, like close to 80F or higher. Also keep an eye on the prime95 window every now and to see if reports any errors for any of your cores/threads. If all turns out well, we'll have to check out your RAM next.
Okay so I ran the test, did "In-place large FFTs" with 8 threads, and after a minute or so, my computer FROZE. It did not restart. I was staring at my processor temperatures, and when it froze they were only at 48C.

What does this mean?

EDIT: I'm running it a second time as I type this, and its been running for ~17 minutes and my processor is capping out at 50C, its going up and back down between 51 and 50. No crashing 17 minutes in.
Score
September 24, 2011 3:57:16 AM

What about that clicking sound I mentioned earlier? Do you hear anything like that when it restarts or freezes? Anything like a metal sounding clink or clank sound.
Score
September 24, 2011 3:58:39 AM

Oh ok, well it doesn't seem to be overheating then. Guess we need to check your RAM. Have you ever used memtest to test your RAM?
Score
September 24, 2011 4:03:45 AM

arson94 said:
Oh ok, well it doesn't seem to be overheating then. Guess we need to check your RAM. Have you ever used memtest to test your RAM?
I've never heard of memtest lol, I will download it.

I stopped the prime95 after 30 mins, never got above 51C.

EDIT: I haven't really checked for the clicking noise because it hasn't restarted in a couple hours, I will pay attention next time it restarts :) 
Score
September 24, 2011 4:13:58 AM

You shouldn't really have to pay attention too hard, the clicking should be fairly audible. Anyway, memtest is just a bootable .iso you burn to a cd and boot into. It runs and you see if it detects any errors.
Score
September 24, 2011 4:54:08 AM

arson94 said:
You shouldn't really have to pay attention too hard, the clicking should be fairly audible. Anyway, memtest is just a bootable .iso you burn to a cd and boot into. It runs and you see if it detects any errors.
Hey do you have skype so you could maybe help walk me through some of this stuff, because it's honestly all new to me.
Score
September 24, 2011 4:56:25 AM

I don't have skype, sorry. All I have is AIM lol. If you have AIM you can IM me.
Score
September 24, 2011 6:37:38 AM

Try go to bios and check info for temps, fan-errors for cpufan and other mobo info there - maybe it says there what the failure is - Asus got nice bios screen - the mobo got nice info about almost everything.
Score
September 25, 2011 8:15:45 AM

Sorry for not keeping updated in a couple days, but I'm still having the restarting issue, however I haven't seen the computer actually freeze in a while.

As of now, it ONLY restarts whilst gaming with high graphics.

I haven't been able to get the memtest to work yet, however :( 
Score
September 25, 2011 3:28:48 PM

What monitoring programs are you running? This issue sounds similar to the one I had few weeks ago... Try turning off all your benchmarking software while gaming, especially SpeedFan and MSI AFterburner.... these two programs always crashed by system while playing BC2. hope this helps :) 
Score
September 25, 2011 5:56:16 PM

pcenvy88 said:
What monitoring programs are you running? This issue sounds similar to the one I had few weeks ago... Try turning off all your benchmarking software while gaming, especially SpeedFan and MSI AFterburner.... these two programs always crashed by system while playing BC2. hope this helps :) 
I've just been running CPUID Hardware monitor
Score
September 25, 2011 6:04:48 PM

Download the .zip of the bootable .iso image from memtest.org. Download the latest version ofcourse and just burn the .iso image to a CD. Then you boot from it.
Score
September 25, 2011 6:18:34 PM

arson94 said:
Download the .zip of the bootable .iso image from memtest.org. Download the latest version ofcourse and just burn the .iso image to a CD. Then you boot from it.
And I know this is a stupid question, but how do I boot from a CD?

Is there any setttings I need to setup once I've booted from it?

Score
September 25, 2011 6:26:22 PM

Oh, well you may have to change your boot priority in BIOS so that your CD/DVD drive is higher priority than your hdd. After that, just put the CD in your drive and it should automatically boot from it. Alternatively, you can use Windows' memory diagnostic program. Type "memory diagnostic" in the start menu search and it'll pop up. I forgot to mention that before. Memtest will test your RAM more thoroughly, but windows' memory diag program can be used in a pinch.
Score
September 25, 2011 7:52:34 PM

arson94 said:
Oh, well you may have to change your boot priority in BIOS so that your CD/DVD drive is higher priority than your hdd. After that, just put the CD in your drive and it should automatically boot from it. Alternatively, you can use Windows' memory diagnostic program. Type "memory diagnostic" in the start menu search and it'll pop up. I forgot to mention that before. Memtest will test your RAM more thoroughly, but windows' memory diag program can be used in a pinch.
I successfully completed the window's memory diagnostic and it said there were no errors.

I got memtest86+ on a CD and had it running, but it was taking super long... after about 45 minutes there weren't any errors and it said it was 53% finished, I will run it overnight or while I'm at class tomorrow.

Assuming there isn't a problem with my RAM what would be the next thing to check? (not that I won't finish memtest, I will run it overnight)
Score
September 26, 2011 12:04:01 PM

Didn't feel like reading all of the long posts but, you are running at stock right? Are you sure the CPU isn't junk?
Score
September 26, 2011 12:32:45 PM

Rebrag, when you say the computer restarts do you mean that it goes through the full shutdown process and then restarts as if you told it to restart or does it just shutoff instantly and boots back up like you hit the reset button instead?

It doesn't seem like your CPU is overheating or that you have bad RAM. Could be your PSU or maybe we need to go back to your GPU. You wouldn't happen to have a spare of either would you?
Score
September 26, 2011 12:56:23 PM

arson94 said:
Rebrag, when you say the computer restarts do you mean that it goes through the full shutdown process and then restarts as if you told it to restart or does it just shutoff instantly and boots back up like you hit the reset button instead?

It doesn't seem like your CPU is overheating or that you have bad RAM. Could be your PSU or maybe we need to go back to your GPU. You wouldn't happen to have a spare of either would you?
When I say restart, I mean it instantly shuts down and starts booting up; it doesn't go through the "windows" shutdown process. Like you said, it's as if I actually hit the reset button.

I don't have a spare PSU or GPU, but theres always the stock video from the motherboard...

pcenvy88 said:
Didn't feel like reading all of the long posts but, you are running at stock right? Are you sure the CPU isn't junk?
Yes, stock values for everything, and what makes you think the CPU might be bad?
Score
September 26, 2011 1:22:25 PM

Well, one guy mentioned before trying the onboard video. I don't know how well you'll be able to play any of your current games with the onboard gpu but might as well give it a shot. I hate to assume the dumbest of things, but just to be sure, you didn't happen to forget to plug in any power cables to your video card or motherboard did you?

I don't think your computer would funtion as long as it normally does before it shutsdown if you were missing any power connectors, but I'm asking just to be sure because you just never know when dealing with damn computers.
Score
September 29, 2011 4:20:59 PM

Well as of some changes from me to the computer, it ended up being a ram issue; I still don't know if it was an issue with the slot for my RAM in the motherboard or if it was the actual stick itself, but now that I'm running with 3 sticks of 4gig ram, it hasn't been restarting whatsoever and everything's been running smoothly.
Score
September 29, 2011 4:47:51 PM

So did memtest detect errors when you ran it overnight?

You can easily move a stick of RAM into that now open slot or swap the possibly bad stick for another stick and test it to see if you can recreate the problem. Whichever's the case, you want to RMA the board if the slot is bad or the RAM if one of the sticks is bad so you can get a replacement.

Also, with only 3 sticks installed, you won't be running your RAM in dual-channel mode if that matters to you.
Score
September 29, 2011 5:24:58 PM

arson94 said:
So did memtest detect errors when you ran it overnight?

You can easily move a stick of RAM into that now open slot or swap the possibly bad stick for another stick and test it to see if you can recreate the problem. Whichever's the case, you want to RMA the board if the slot is bad or the RAM if one of the sticks is bad so you can get a replacement.

Also, with only 3 sticks installed, you won't be running your RAM in dual-channel mode if that matters to you.
What does RMA mean?

What is dual-channel mode?

I'm pretty sure it's the slot because the same individual stick of RAM that is removed right now, worked perfectly fine when it was in a different slot.
Score
September 29, 2011 5:46:47 PM

RMA = Return Merchandise Authorization. RMA'ing something means the retailer allows you to return the product if it's defective within a certain time period for a refund or replacement depending on the retailer's RMA terms.

Dual-channel mode is something you can enable only when you have whole pairs of RAM installed (2 sticks, 4 sticks...) and it doubles your memory's peak data bandwidth. Some people care, some people don't.

Either way, you have a component that's not functioning correctly and if you're still within the retailers RMA period then they'll refund and/or replace the item.

If you put a different stick in that one slot will problems come back?
Score
October 7, 2011 1:33:58 PM

Was there ever a fix to this? I am having 100% the exact same issues. Driving me crazy. i have done all on this thread and more, Sadly work calls but i will be back later today to either open a new thread or continue on with this.

Will post Name, Specs, and 100% details when back.

Le sigh hehe
Score
October 7, 2011 1:51:06 PM

Beoren said:
Was there ever a fix to this? I am having 100% the exact same issues. Driving me crazy. i have done all on this thread and more, Sadly work calls but i will be back later today to either open a new thread or continue on with this.

Will post Name, Specs, and 100% details when back.

Le sigh hehe

Well, OP thinks he found out one of his RAM slots on his motherboard was bad.
Score

Best solution

October 7, 2011 2:02:48 PM

You probably have a Vdroop issue... go into your Bios and make sure you disable Vdroop.
October 7, 2011 6:43:30 PM

Hey guys thanks for the advice already, sorry for the vague post before was rushed, here is the list.

Mobo- Asus M4A89GTD PRO

Core- AMD PH II 6 Core 1100T 3.3

RAM- 3X4Gb GSKILL F3-12800CL9T

VGA- Sapphire HD 6950 1GB GDDR5

PSU- Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W

And yes the symptom is that whenever something that is taxing on the system happens it will instantly reset, Ive told windows not to auto reset and it still does so definitely no blue screen. Its done it on multiple games now. and even once on a Memtest.

At first i thought it was a heat issue but the core has never reached above 57C and the Video Card is steady at 61C Well below problem areas.

Ive moved the Video card to the 2nd slot and same effect. Focusing on memory now and running memtest again.. no crash this time but something ive never seen... (will post image) so im thinking 100% memory now.

Sorry if the post seems all over. this error has happened as i wrote this.

Cheers

Beo
Score
October 7, 2011 6:48:18 PM

Here is the error on Memtest

Score
October 7, 2011 7:13:20 PM

Crazy, I've never seen anything like that in MEMTEST before even with bad RAM. I'd say test one stick at a time and see if any of them test bad. I'd go ahead and try to boot Windows on each stick seperately just in case you get lucky and find the bad stick without having to run MEMTEST for an hour or two on 3 sticks before finding the bad stick. If they all boot and log into windows fine then I'd take the time to use MEMTEST on each one.
Score
October 7, 2011 11:25:44 PM

-Update

All booted to windows.

Stick #1 passed once failed once
Stick #2 Passed twice
Stick#3 Passed once and 49% done the second.

May of found our culprit.
Score
October 7, 2011 11:54:34 PM

If I seen this one my screen I'd be hitting it with Holy water screaming

"OUT DEMON, GO BACK TO WHENCE YOU CAME YOU DIRTY VILE CREATURE FROM HELL!"

...no seriously, that's scary looking I'd be like "NOOOOO!"

All in all you've got a culprit and that's good.
Score
October 8, 2011 12:10:26 AM

Beoren said:
-Update

All booted to windows.

Stick #1 passed once failed once
Stick #2 Passed twice
Stick#3 Passed once and 49% done the second.

May of found our culprit.

Sweet, I didn't send you on a wild goose chase :p  These sticks were all tested in the same RAM slot correct?
Score
October 8, 2011 7:03:31 PM

Well after all that time of running with 8Gb ram (the failed card out) I regret to inform you all that it has happened again... Now i have no idea once again why this is happening.
Score
October 12, 2011 5:01:49 PM

I'd like to get in on this thread as I'm having the same problem, gone through the same steps, and am hoping whatever resolved it will resolve my issue as well.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Memory: 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MhZ
video: HIS IceQX Turbo HD 6950
CPU: i7-2600k
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212
HD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Sata

Everything is brand new and just put together. Fresh install, installed drivers off CD and then updated with drivers from internet. Everything runs fine with onboard graphics, dies when launching off video card.
Score
October 12, 2011 5:02:24 PM

Sorry forgot, PSU: RoseWill 750W Xtreme
Score
October 12, 2011 5:33:49 PM

mbeck9713 said:
I'd like to get in on this thread as I'm having the same problem, gone through the same steps, and am hoping whatever resolved it will resolve my issue as well.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Memory: 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MhZ
video: HIS IceQX Turbo HD 6950
CPU: i7-2600k
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212
HD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Sata

Everything is brand new and just put together. Fresh install, installed drivers off CD and then updated with drivers from internet. Everything runs fine with onboard graphics, dies when launching off video card.

Does a friend have a machine that test your video card? Initially, it sounds like possibly your PSU might not be supplying enough amps to your video card or your video might be defective. You won't know for sure though unless you try them in other machines to see if the problems persist. Also, did you make sure you plugged in your PCI-E power cables into your video card? I know it's elementary, but I'm asking just in case. I forget to do simple $hit all the time.
Score
!