electrolaser

Honorable
May 5, 2012
well i was thinking about making a pc with an i5k ivybridge and an asus p8777 v pro, but then i saw something like the x79 ud3 and the 3820 and wondering . the pcie slots could be usefull and would ensure more future proofing , so is it worth it?

electrolaser

Honorable
May 5, 2012
sorry if this has been beatien to death. But i have to say that i probably wouldn't clock it higher than 4.3 anyway and i don't need the quicksync

The efficiency of the Ivy Bridge chips is giving a tough time to the processors from the 2011 slot from the prior generation.

There is to be a new sort of 2011 processor sooner or later whereas there is to be no more new 1155 processors, so that could make a difference.

Anyway, the 2011s used to be king of the hill and that is why they costed so much. They are still the king of the hill if you get the $1000 processors, but the cheaper ones are beaten $ for $ by Ivy Bridge I am pretty sure.

Anyway, my vote would be for the 1155 unless you have many many hundreds to drop on the processor alone. Not just 2, I am talking like 5+.

I would mostly ignore the concept of future proofing, it doesn't work and even when it does it isn't cost effective.

Well...I like my SB-E and for what it's work all of the 3DMark11 records are on the LGA 2011 platform and not the LGA 1155. see - http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame/

However, it really comes down to purpose and your budget -- most hardcore enthusiast insist on SB-E/LGA 2011. The i7-3820 can OC to 5GHz.

IF you live close to a Microcenter $500 i7-3930K (99.9% of the '$1000 processor') - http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0376493

Personally, the IB is fine'ish, my only complaint is it's high temps from IMO poor choices from Intel - cheap TIM and Tri-Gate design. My hope is the IB-E has these issues corrected and ALL 8-cores are enabled.

That said, for the 'A-Typical' person IB + Z77. CPU: i5-3570K and MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO (NewEgg is offering 4 yr warranty) or ASUS Sabertooth Z77 (5 yr warranty).