Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard Recommendation for FX-6100

Last response: in Motherboards
June 15, 2012 6:21:10 AM

Hi guys

What would you recommend for a good motherboard?

It needs to have these:

-Xfire
-Overclock abilities
-990 chipset

I don't mind open box deals either.

I found this on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Don't tell me to go Intel, as I won't.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 15, 2012 7:03:15 AM

I have a rig built on that mainboard and have had no problems with it. I have it running on my old Sapphire HD 5850 Crossfire and runs great. My main rig still runs on an MSI 890FXA-GD70 as the performance difference just was not there to upgrade to a 990 based mainboard.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2012 1:17:32 PM

Any particular reason you want an FX-6100?

A Phenom 2 x4 980 would be better than it in gaming.

Here is a comparison with 980 vs the 8150 and the 980 wins in all the games on there.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=434

The 980 also has the benefit of being guaranteed to work out of the box with the motherboards. Sometimes the BIOSs have to be updated before FX chips will work on them, I see it all the time.
m
l
Related resources
June 15, 2012 1:31:09 PM

Raiddinn said:
Any particular reason you want an FX-6100?

A Phenom 2 x4 980 would be better than it in gaming.

Here is a comparison with 980 vs the 8150 and the 980 wins in all the games on there.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/362?vs=434

The 980 also has the benefit of being guaranteed to work out of the box with the motherboards. Sometimes the BIOSs have to be updated before FX chips will work on them, I see it all the time.

http://bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2012 2:10:32 PM

I don't get it.

The fact that you can choose to turn off or turn on a core easily doesn't really impact gaming performance.

The thing that matters most is Clock Speed x IPC and that has nothing to do with turning on or off the 3rd - 6th cores.

If anything, the program itself makes your computer some tiny % slower just because you are using and compounds the problems the FX chip has in general.
m
l
June 15, 2012 2:41:50 PM

Raiddinn said:
I don't get it.

The fact that you can choose to turn off or turn on a core easily doesn't really impact gaming performance.

The thing that matters most is Clock Speed x IPC and that has nothing to do with turning on or off the 3rd - 6th cores.

If anything, the program itself makes your computer some tiny % slower just because you are using and compounds the problems the FX chip has in general.

"Additionally, parking CPUs can potentially reduce core thrashing - when a thread is swapped between cores unnecessarily, causing a performance hit."

"This option has *something* to do with how aggressively the Windows scheduler will park CPUs based on over-utilization of parking in the past. In other words, if it has been parking them too often, it will 'ease up'."

"Additionally, I've found Windows CPU Parking to be excessively aggressive by default. In one test bed, an AMD Bulldozer platform (8150), the scheduling problems were *very* apparent. Turning off CPU Parking causes an immediate boost in responsiveness, particularly for the virtual machines and multimedia applications."
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2012 2:46:26 PM

I get all that, I just don't understand any particular reason to get a FX-6100 as compared to anything else.

Said in a different way, I don't know any problem for which an FX-6100 is the best solution.

An FX-6100 and the ability to park or not park a core are both a means to some end. That end is what I am interested in knowing.
m
l
June 16, 2012 6:06:19 PM

I already have the FX-6100, not looking to replace it until piledriver comes out (if there any better) which I hear will be on the AM3+ platform.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 7:10:09 PM

You may as well get the one you showed originally. It is a good one and its as likely as anything else to work with Piledriver.
m
l
June 16, 2012 8:20:44 PM

But would I need pci express 3.0 anytime soon?
m
l
June 16, 2012 9:19:13 PM

Currently running 1 6870 and planning on crossfire once I get this motherboard
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 10:25:16 PM

PCIE 3.0 isn't going to make a difference if you intend to crossfire and a 6870 isn't a 3.0 card anyway.

I think its still going to be a pretty long time before PCIE 3.0 becomes absolutely required. You will probably have yet another new motherboard by then.
m
l
June 16, 2012 10:30:07 PM

Okay, thanks for all who replied.

Resolved.
m
l
!