Is my router dying?
Hello I have a D-Link wireless G router that's about 3 years old now *not sure about exact model*. Lately the wireless on it seems to be cutting out. So it'll work then it won't work then it'll work again. I'm also getting really really slow speeds on it. My wired connection is fine though. In fact I noticed an improvement in my wired connection *probably just XFinity though*. So I was just wondering if anyone knew what was going on and if I could easily fix it or to get a new router. If I remember correctly Comcast makes you call them to activate a new router if you do that though. Thanks for any input.
You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.
1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.