Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows Thinks My New GTX 580 is a GTX 260!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 15, 2011 1:32:55 PM

Hello,
I replaced my GTX 295 with my newly purchased GTX 580 last night. Once I powered up and installed drivers, Windows is telling me that I am now the proud owner of a GTX 260!?!

I uninstalled drivers mutliple times using both Add/Remove programs method and Clean Sweep and reinstalled but that didn't help. With all drivers removed, the Device Manager still tells me I have a GTX 260 installed as my display device. Firmware issue? Hardware problem with the card? Registry problem? Other?

I am lost. Anyone have any ideas?
a c 129 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 15, 2011 1:36:43 PM

Did you get the drivers from the Nvidia web site or are you using the disk that came with it? What brand is the 580?
m
l
April 15, 2011 1:40:56 PM

The drivers on the disk wouldn't install. Got an error telling me "The install cannot continue. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware." So I downloaded the most current from Nvidia's website.

Brand is Sparkle.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 129 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 15, 2011 3:01:34 PM

It could have been mislabled at the factory or the manufacturer flashed it with the wrong BIOS. Either way, if it's not saying 580, I'd return/exchange that bad boy.
April 15, 2011 3:05:21 PM

Does it work like it should, becuase i got the same one. The one I got has lots of tearing in crysis when I shoot the min-gun.

m
l
April 15, 2011 4:03:46 PM

ubercake said:
It could have been mislabled at the factory or the manufacturer flashed it with the wrong BIOS. Either way, if it's not saying 580, I'd return/exchange that bad boy.

Yeah, my gut tells me it's a factory firmware flash issue. I'm going to put my old GTX 295 back in to verify that it is recongnized correctly, reinstall the GTX 580 to see if the issue repeats, and if it does I'll move forward with an RMA.

I don't think it is a mislabeling issue because I tried out Black Ops at 2560 x 1600 res on high settings and I'm able to play it at a very steady 60 fps. I could be mistaken, but I don't think a GTX 260 would be capable of that.
m
l
April 15, 2011 4:12:43 PM

4ktv said:
Does it work like it should, becuase i got the same one. The one I got has lots of tearing in crysis when I shoot the min-gun.

Well, I'm actually torn on whether it works like a GTX 580 or not. As I've stated in the post above, I've played Black Ops at 2560 x 1600 all high settings and get a very steady 60 fps which tells me it might be behaving as a GTX 580. On the other hand, with Crysis 2 at 2560 x 1600 on Extreme settings I only get 16-18 fps - which is around 5 fps worse than what my GTX 295 had when I tried it at those settings. Based on some benchmarks I've seen, I should be getting around 40-50 fps at that resolution with a GTX 580. So this tells me that, at least in some cases, I'm not getting the performance out of the card I should be.

In other words, I really can't conclusively answer the question yet on whether it works like it should. As I do some more testing, I'll update this thread. Maybe when I put my GTX 295 back in I'll gather some baseline frame rates to compare to my "pseudo-GTX 580".
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2011 4:45:43 PM

I've been hearing nothing but problems with the 570, 580 and 590's. Not to mention Nvidia hasn't released a new driver since 1/25/11.

I have a feeling a new driver might help when it comes out.
m
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 15, 2011 4:55:48 PM

geekapproved said:
I've been hearing nothing but problems with the 570, 580 and 590's. Not to mention Nvidia hasn't released a new driver since 1/25/11.

I have a feeling a new driver might help when it comes out.

My drivers worked great from day 1 with my 580s in single and then dual-SLI two weeks later.

I definitely don't think that's the issue here.

On the other hand, based on my experience with crossfire, waiting for next month's drivers or the day-after hotfix always offered some false hope. When I only had one AMD card, everything worked great. Once I added more, I got to experience the driver headaches.

Again, based on my experience, Nvidia's drivers have been solid upon release. This is why they don't need to update them every month.
m
l
April 15, 2011 5:07:08 PM

Send it back. Even if it is working as a 580 you'll have difficulty selling it on when you move to your next card.
m
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 15, 2011 5:13:10 PM

ethel said:
Send it back. Even if it is working as a 580 you'll have difficulty selling it on when you move to your next card.

That's what I'm saying. Don't settle. Hold the vendor or the manufacturer accountable.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2011 6:12:40 PM

When a new card comes out, a new driver has to come out. Also bugs with certain games need to be worked out and tweaks can be made to improve those games. Or even new games come out. It's not that you release a driver every month for the heck of it. lol

Actually Nvidia has released at least 2 drivers in the last year that caused cards to overheat and fail.

http://technorati.com/technology/it/article/nvidia-driv...

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=103543

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/53563/Nvidia-196-75-G...

Amazing how many reviews I've read on ATI cards and not one single mention by any professional reviewer of ANY driver problems with single cards OR Xfire.

Not even in this latest article testing 2-3way Xfire against 2-3way SLI:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-sli-3-way...

Xfire 6950's crushed the more expensive GTX570 in SLI.

Also 3way Xfire 6950's crushed the more expensive GTX570 in 3way SLI.

Not a single mention of ANY driver issues whatsoever. I guess you just have to know what your doing.
m
l
April 15, 2011 6:43:59 PM

Well, mystery solved. Went home at lunch to do some more troubleshooting. Guess the old saying holds true: "If it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's a duck." It turns out it is a mislabeled GTX 260. Talk about overpaying for yesterday's technology!

The card came in a GTX 580 box. The barcode sticker on the card itself is labeled as a GTX 580 (took several pictures of this). However, there was one visual clue that this card was not a GTX 580; the GTX 580 is supposed to have 2 DVI and 1 HDMI connections, this card didn't have the HDMI connection. I also put my old GTX 295 back in and ran some baseline testing on a few games and my GTX 295 suspiciously outperformed my new "pseudo-GTX 580" card. Hmmmm....

All games at max settings, AA 2x, 2560 x 1600

Black Ops
GTX 295 - 60 fps
"pseudo-GTX 580" (aka GTX 260) - 55 fps
(Apparently Black Ops isn't all that demanding - even at 2560 x 1600)

Crysis 2
GTX 295 - 17 fps
"pseudo-GTX 580" (aka GTX 260) - 18 fps
(Apparently Crysis 2 is too demanding for the 200 series cards at 2560 x 1600)

Just Cause 2
GTX 295 - 31 fps
"pseudo-GTX 580" (aka GTX 260) - 18 fps
(Pretty obvious from these results)

Based on benchmarks I've seen posted on the internet, the GTX 580 should have perfromed well (50+ fps) in all three of these games at those settings.

Needless to say, I'm not happy about this. Makes you wonder if someone is trying to find a profitable way to get rid of old inventory. I guess I'll give Sparkle the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up as a mistake at the factory and get the RMA process started.

Thanks to all those who offered a helping hand.
m
l
April 15, 2011 6:49:43 PM

Best answer selected by heids24.
m
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 15, 2011 7:25:30 PM

geekapproved said:
When a new card comes out, a new driver has to come out. Also bugs with certain games need to be worked out and tweaks can be made to improve those games. Or even new games come out. It's not that you release a driver every month for the heck of it. lol

Actually Nvidia has released at least 2 drivers in the last year that caused cards to overheat and fail.

http://technorati.com/technology/it/article/nvidia-driv...

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=103543

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/53563/Nvidia-196-75-G...

Amazing how many reviews I've read on ATI cards and not one single mention by any professional reviewer of ANY driver problems with single cards OR Xfire.

Not even in this latest article testing 2-3way Xfire against 2-3way SLI:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-sli-3-way...

Xfire 6950's crushed the more expensive GTX570 in SLI.

Also 3way Xfire 6950's crushed the more expensive GTX570 in 3way SLI.

Not a single mention of ANY driver issues whatsoever. I guess you just have to know what your doing.

Yeah. It takes some real skill to pop three cards into a machine, install the CIC(s), and install a driver (edit: actually, when it's AMD you have to uninstall the driver, reboot, driver sweep, reboot, install the new driver). LOL

Fortunately, some individuals only have to deal with one card and their knowledge only goes this far. This way, they can live vicariously and just read about the success or failure of others and subsequently preach expert knowledge.

Admittedly, the Tom's article shows higher framerates for the AMD cards. I've found higher framerates while your screen flickers is not impressive by any means. This is what you get with crossfire. I am hardly the first on these forums to admit that. Unfortunately, most of us don't admit it until we pay the 10-20% premium for SLI performance without headaches. We don't want to feel bad about our investments in crossfire. It's human nature and understandable.

I actually gave up a few fps in MOH going from 3 5850s to 2 580s but my fps on the 580s are all good fps. In most cases, my fps are at or better than the 3 5850s. In all cases screen flickering is not an issue. I don't even have to rely on performance-reducing vsync to solve all my problems any longer.

You can cite any number of posts from different sites regarding driver issues. If we're going to do that, take a look at the catalyst forum over at AMD:

http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=279&for...

There are quite a few issues over there as well with the most recent drivers.

Beside the Tom's article, the 2009 nvidia forum individual's post is probably the most reputable of your sources. You can also find fan issues under the catalyst category above with recent releases (2010 and 2011) of the catalyst drivers.

Additionally, the 580s came out prior to the January driver release.

Through my own experience regarding crossfire and SLI, I've learned the hard and expensive way the age ole adage "you get what you pay for". I just try to help people out where possible.

But back to the thread topic... Crazy how this one ended up to, huh? It was a mislabeled card... not a driver issue?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2011 5:14:29 PM

I've been using CCC for 5 years, NEVER had any problem with ANY release on 2 different cards.

Funny Tom's doesn't mention any 'screen flickers' in ANY of their ATI card reviews.

Now your going to show me the technical support page for AMD? YAWN

How bout the technical support forum at Nvidia??

http://nvidia-submit.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia_submit...

Of course your going to have people in the technical support forum with problems, that's what it's for. LOL

You can also find them in the Intel tech support forum.

Just because some moron who has no idea what he's doing is posting a problem in the support forum, does that mean your not going to buy an Intel processor?

Your reasonings are unfounded, biased and just plain ridiculous fanboyism.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2011 5:16:05 PM

OP, where did you buy the card? This happens a lot at big box stores, it's not a mislabeled card, somebody duped you, stole the GTX580, replaced it with a GTX260 and re-shrink wrapped the box.

Happens all the time, trust me.
m
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 16, 2011 9:06:01 PM

geekapproved said:
I've been using CCC for 5 years, NEVER had any problem with ANY release on 2 different cards.

Funny Tom's doesn't mention any 'screen flickers' in ANY of their ATI card reviews.

Now your going to show me the technical support page for AMD? YAWN

How bout the technical support forum at Nvidia??

http://nvidia-submit.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia_submit...

Of course your going to have people in the technical support forum with problems, that's what it's for. LOL

You can also find them in the Intel tech support forum.

Just because some moron who has no idea what he's doing is posting a problem in the support forum, does that mean your not going to buy an Intel processor?

Your reasonings are unfounded, biased and just plain ridiculous fanboyism.

You must be one of those fellas always running with just one card and just reading about crossfire. Every PC I have with just one AMD card works great. Before last year I always ran with one card and used AMD exclusively since 2001. So I know what things look like from your perspective, too. ;) 

It's when you start adding cards and using crossfire that things begin to suck (flickering around 20% of the time and consistently in certain situations - ie inside a tank in BFBC2).

The people who never get around to a crossfire setup never have to experience the grief of it, but they just know its great because they read it somewhere. Fortunately, from the consumer end of things, as a consumer, I don't have to worry about producing interesting articles or meeting certain criteria in my discussions and reviews of products to keep the products flowing through my doors at no cost. I pay for everything I own and appreciate the fact that SLI works as advertised.

Regarding reviews not containing footnotes about AMD driver performance in crossfire... It doesn't make for good reading when every review site has to include "AMD crossfire performance yields higher fps, but..." in every article. It just doesn't promote good competition. And who wants to read the same thing every time. Again, not good reading.

Additionally, I'm sure each of the review sites get special consideration when they're supplied with cards and drivers for testing (ie test engineer models of components).

Definitely true SLI fanboyism all courtesy of my personal experience with AMD crossfire (I didn't just read about it somewhere, mind you). I will be an SLI fanboy until Nvidia drivers get to a point where they suck, too. If and when that day comes, I hope that's the month AMD finally gets their **** together with their drivers and crossfire functionality.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2011 9:10:01 PM

geekapproved said:
OP, where did you buy the card? This happens a lot at big box stores, it's not a mislabeled card, somebody duped you, stole the GTX580, replaced it with a GTX260 and re-shrink wrapped the box.

That someone tried very hard then, replacing the sticker even. :pt1cable: 
m
l
April 17, 2011 4:18:29 AM

geekapproved said:

Purchased at Newegg. Sparkle did handle the situation well. They sent me a new GTX 580 over night. Thought I'd have to go through the RGA process, but they shipped it out same day I called without requiring me to return the 260 first.

m
l
a c 129 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 18, 2011 9:18:14 AM

heids24 said:
Purchased at Newegg. Sparkle did handle the situation well. They sent me a new GTX 580 over night. Thought I'd have to go through the RGA process, but they shipped it out same day I called without requiring me to return the 260 first.

Glad to hear it.

That is great service. Definitely puts Sparkle on my radar of brand names. Glad to hear issues are handled that well by a manufacturer.
m
l
April 18, 2011 3:48:39 PM

I am glad to hear it too, becuase I got the same card.
m
l
!