Sign in with
Your question

Non Seasonic PSU

Last response: in Components
September 23, 2011 10:56:34 PM

Hey,
I recently got a corsair tx2 PSU. After troubleshooting for many hours I stumbled upon a review on my mobo (foxconn p55a )stating that Seasonix X series PSUS aren't compatible. I'm not in a position to upgrade the mobo yet, however I will sure be happy to get rid of the piece of junk.. So apparently the tx2 is in the flesh a x series PSU and some antecedent units have been said to have problems. So are there any branded psu's that don't use Seasonic units?
I found this one, will it be ok? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0045L5LGI?ie=UTF8&f...
Thanks.

More about : seasonic psu

a c 248 ) Power supply
September 24, 2011 12:54:32 AM

Bummer! A similar compatability problem popped up a few years ago. Two motherboard manufacturers made changes in their designs without notifying power supply manufacturers of the changes. :( 
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2011 2:07:05 AM

the xfx is a seasonic psu also

how about the antec HCG 750, it's Delta made (620w and under are seasonic)

corsairs new TX modular series are CWT made

Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2011 2:21:42 AM

Corsair TX V2 units are not X series based but a hybrid of M12II and S12II and some custom designs. The X series are the Corsair AX and the Antec Professional (double check).

XFX units are very similar to TX V2 units as well.

Nevertheless, it's a bummer that there's compatibility problems with one of the best PSU makers and your motherboard. If all else fails then you could try the TX-M series or the Thermaltake Toughpower. They're good quality units as well but a tad under seasonic based units.
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2011 4:32:02 AM

Knowledge is Power ! Learn before you spend.

As far as PSUs are concerned, be informed. Before you buy any PSU read accurate, objective PSU reviews at reputable sites such as www.jonnyguru.com or www.hardwaresecrets.com on the EXACT model PSU that you are interested in as some brands have good and poor quality PSUs.

You can also get an accurate rating of how much PSU power is required for your current or future system at the PSU calculator link below. Once you know the total PSU watts required then you need to confirm that the 12v rail has enough amps. to support your Vid card(s) and the rest of the PC system.

There are several websites that show the Vid card power consumption in watts. Divide the watts by 12 to determine the amps. required on the 12v rail(s). Add 15 amps for the rest of the PC on the 12v rail and you now know the Minimum total 12v rail amps required under full load. It's best to have at least 5-10 amps. reserve on the 12v rail available under full load so the PSU is not loaded to 100%.
It's also worth noting that people often misunderstand the 80% power rating. This is a rating of the PSU's energy efficiency not it's output. 80% plus PSUs use less grid power to produce the same PC power. If it's 80% Bronze, Silver or Gold the cost savings on electricity is pretty small between Bronze, Silver and Gold unless you are paying very high rates for electricity so any 80% rated quality PSU is fine even if not Gold. For those who leave their PC on 24/7 a quality 80% PSU is a good investment.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-re...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_5...

IT'S BETTER TO TEACH A PERSON HOW TO FISH THAN TO GIVE THEM A FISH FOR DINNER !
a c 87 ) Power supply
September 24, 2011 12:22:23 PM

The Antec High Current Pro series is also made by Delta.

Enermax and Silverstone are other brands I would look at for non-Seasonic built units.
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2011 12:51:25 PM

i'd change mobo, why are they not atx 2.n compliant?
September 24, 2011 1:12:26 PM

Thanks for all the great replies, I'm DEFINITELY going to research the S*** out of everything i buy from now on, luckily i ordered from amazon so ive returned the corsair. The reviews say that the antec true power 550w is a problem, and Seasonic X Series. So to be safe shall i just steer clear of seasonic? The antec HCG 750W looks pretty good, although a bit more its alot more future proof. HardwareSecrets gave it a good review too.

Also, 13thmonkey im going to, im going to wait for the AMD bulldozer processors to come out and see if there really worth, if they are then ill grab a new mobo with that. Didn't understand the last bit of what you said :>
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2011 1:26:43 PM

Silvune said:
The Antec High Current Pro series is also made by Delta.

only the 750w and higher units, the 620w and lower units are seasonic made
a c 87 ) Power supply
September 24, 2011 1:34:16 PM

dirtyferret said:
only the 750w and higher units, the 620w and lower units are seasonic made

Notice I said High Current Pro. I know that the 620W and below High Current Gamers are Seasonic.
a c 88 ) Power supply
September 24, 2011 1:58:39 PM

Delta and CWT are also quality manufacturers. OCZ I really feel has slipped a bit and is down to FSP levles. I really feel Seasonic, Delta, and CWT are the top three right now.

Kingwin/SuperFlower has been turning out quality products as of late, and Enermax has always been top notch. But they are usually priced higher then other units. And as always stay clear of Deer...
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2011 2:07:13 PM

Lfluxx said:
Also, 13thmonkey im going to, im going to wait for the AMD bulldozer processors to come out and see if there really worth, if they are then ill grab a new mobo with that. Didn't understand the last bit of what you said :>

Well all PSU's and All motherboards should comply to a standard called ATX. It dictates power delivery and size standards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Thats how we know that a PSU will work with a Mobo, and its odd that only foxconn have a problem.... seasonics work with any other mobo quite happily.

a c 243 ) Power supply
September 24, 2011 3:21:25 PM

13thmonkey said:
Well all PSU's and All motherboards should comply to a standard called ATX. It dictates power delivery and size standards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Thats how we know that a PSU will work with a Mobo, and its odd that only foxconn have a problem.... seasonics work with any other mobo quite happily.

This is not always true.
There was a psu/MB compatibility issue with the Seasonic built Antec NeoHe 430 ,worked fine with some motherboards but was incompatible with others.
The solution came by way of a revision to the psu.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article273-page5.html

A few years back the Seasonic built Corsair TX650 didn't play nice with the MB in a Dell XPS420 ( Foxconn ? ) , but the Seasonic built HX520/620 and Seasonic built PCP&C Silencers had no problem, was it the psu or the MB ?
a c 248 ) Power supply
September 24, 2011 5:53:20 PM

The one I distinctly remember involed the Corsair TX850. There were a couple of motherboards that did not play nice with it. I took a little flak because I normally recommend Corsair and Seasonic psu's.

Stuff does happen. We see similar things happening with motherboards and memory. Sometimes they don't play nice with each other.
a b ) Power supply
September 24, 2011 9:54:27 PM

Yes we do, and the memory spec is a lot more complex than the PSU spec, which to be frank should be a piece of cake to meet in comparison.
!