Final Fantasy Tactics Advance & save games

I've just been trying out the FFTA ROM (available elsewhere) and one of
the first things I noticed was it took virtually 30 minutes before I
could save the game. Then when I tried the first battle I noticed that I
couldn't save at all.

I was going to buy this title for myself to play over Xmas, but seeing
how much of a time investment it is going to take given that I may well
have to repeat many battles time and time again, I'm inclined to not
bother.

What is the concensus of opinion on this game? Is there a hidden sleep
mode? Is it worth the retreading of battles that seems inevitable? I
don't think I can play a game that is so stingy with save points. I'm a
busy guy. Shouldn't all top titles come with a sleep mode now?

"rkcoggy" <rkcoggynospamforme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've just been trying out the FFTA ROM (available elsewhere) and one of
> the first things I noticed was it took virtually 30 minutes before I
> could save the game. Then when I tried the first battle I noticed that I
> couldn't save at all.
>
> I was going to buy this title for myself to play over Xmas, but seeing
> how much of a time investment it is going to take given that I may well
> have to repeat many battles time and time again, I'm inclined to not
> bother.
>
> What is the concensus of opinion on this game? Is there a hidden sleep
> mode? Is it worth the retreading of battles that seems inevitable? I
> don't think I can play a game that is so stingy with save points. I'm a
> busy guy. Shouldn't all top titles come with a sleep mode now?

I picked up a used copy of the game based on good reviews and so far I'm
kind of bored with it but it's really not my type of game. I don't remember
finding any issue with saving though.

"Raph" <raphs@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I picked up a used copy of the game based on good reviews and so far
> I'm kind of bored with it but it's really not my type of game. I don't
> remember finding any issue with saving though.

I should perhaps make it clearer that it is the lack of save function
during battles that is the problem. You can only save when on the world
map.

Am I wrong? I'm keen to get into this sort of genre. I played Vandal
Hearts some years ago and this seems similar in many ways.

rkcoggy <rkcoggynospamforme@hotmail.com> wrote in

> What is the concensus of opinion on this game? Is there a hidden sleep
> mode? Is it worth the retreading of battles that seems inevitable? I
> don't think I can play a game that is so stingy with save points. I'm a
> busy guy. Shouldn't all top titles come with a sleep mode now?

I don't have it handy, but I'm pretty sure there is a suspend-during-battle
function. It's not as seamless as Fire Emblem's "turn it off and you're
done", but recheck the system menu while battling.

Geo
--
George Mealer
geo*AT*snarksoft*DOT*com

"Alright, it's Saturday night...I have no date, a two-liter bottle
of Shasta, and my all-Rush mix tape. Let's rock!" -- Philip J. Fry

George Mealer <geo@snarksoft.invalid> wrote in

> I don't have it handy, but I'm pretty sure there is a
> suspend-during-battle function. It's not as seamless as Fire Emblem's
> "turn it off and you're done", but recheck the system menu while
> battling.

That sounds more like it. It just concerned me after going through a
lengthy unskippable snowball fight and lots of character build up that it
was going to be a battery draining non-interactive lesson in patience
before I even got to the fights. To not be able to save during battle then
would be hellish.

What's wrong with good old sleep mode though? I use it all the time with
Minish Cap and it works a treat.

--
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him
absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

Mr Coggy <rkcoggynospamforme@hotmail.com> wrote in

> That sounds more like it. It just concerned me after going through a
> lengthy unskippable snowball fight and lots of character build up that
> it was going to be a battery draining non-interactive lesson in
> patience before I even got to the fights. To not be able to save
> during battle then would be hellish.

Yeah, the non-skippable intro blows. I've restarted the game a few times,
and had to do the "gba sitting by the computer, hit A every so often"
thing. I'd suggest saving a game right after getting past the beginning
and never touching it again. Then you can just "restart" from that save.

Geo
--
George Mealer
geo*AT*snarksoft*DOT*com

"Alright, it's Saturday night...I have no date, a two-liter bottle
of Shasta, and my all-Rush mix tape. Let's rock!" -- Philip J. Fry

TRENDING THREADS