    news:1119305446.880269.136680@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    Date: 20 Jun 2005 15:10:46 -0700

    Can anyone please tell me what is a good PCMICA Network card to
    pick up a weak signal?

    I don't know Steve. I use an US Robotics 5410 myself and I like it.

    I dont know what is meant by a 200mW card or 23dBm etc. WHat should
    I be looking for?

    Both are values for power output (although for receive they also use
    dB). 200mw means 200 milliwatts or 0.2 watts. 23dB is another way at
    looking at the power output. Both values, the higher the better. That
    5410 of mine is 18dB or about 65mw. Where did you see a 200mw card?

    The record for connecting by WiFi is 51 miles by a hacker at Deathcom in
    Las Vegas, btw.

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within Word 2000

    Date: 20 Jun 2005 15:10:46 -0700

    Can anyone please tell me what is a good PCMICA Network card to
    pick up a weak signal?

    I don't know Steve. I use an US Robotics 5410 myself and I like it.

    I dont know what is meant by a 200mW card or 23dBm etc. WHat should
    I be looking for?

    Both are values for power output (although for receive they also use
    dB). 200mw means 200 milliwatts or 0.2 watts. 23dB is another way at
    looking at the power output. Both values, the higher the better. That
    5410 of mine is 18dB or about 65mw. Where did you see a 200mw card?

    The record for connecting by WiFi is 51 miles by a hacker at Deathcom in
    Las Vegas, btw.

    Cheers!

    Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
    -- written and edited within Word 2000

    I have 2 laptops with built-in wireless (2 differnt cards--a Dell and an
    Intel) and neither works very well anymore. I wonder if the internal
    antenna connection comes loose or breaks? Anyway, both laptops work great
    with PC-Cards--I think the antenna being outside the computer helps. With
    my desktop wireless, I also found that using an external antenna really
    boosted performance relative to the little antenna connected to the card.
    This is a long-winded way of saying that for long-range performance, look
    for a card that lets you connect to an external antenna. I think Buffalo
    makes one.

    "Steve Dion" <msm0001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone please tell me what is a good PCMICA Network card to pick up
    > a weak signal? My internal IBM Thinkpad Network card knows a network
    > is there but wont connect to it. Its not a password or security issue
    > - its a signal problem.
    >
    > I dont know what is meant by a 200mW card or 23dBm etc. WHat should I
    > be looking for?
    >
    > BTW I am using XP Pro.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Steve

    High power SMC PCMCIA a/b/g card is a good start. Basically, you need
    two things - 1) high power in the card - this will broadcast enough
    power to get back to the router. 2) sensitive antenna (usually, high
    power cards will have this as well) - higher sensitivity = picks up long
    range signals better.

    Another good option, Belkin Pre-N cards.

    both of these are good to start with - have the latest technologies, and
    designed for those long-haul applications.

    ---

    If that still doesn't work, you'll need a wifi booster unit placed in
    between you and the router - it picks up the original wifi signal, then
    rebroadcasts it (boosts it) so you can have a longer signal path.

    ---

    Belkin Pre-N cards and routers tend to reach very, very far, even when
    coupled with non-PreN cards.

Wireless PCMCIA Network Card Laptops