• New Build
  • Gaming
  • AMD
  • Intel i5
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 28, 2011 2:12:30 PM

Hi im building my first gaming pc with a budget of around £600/ $950
Im stuck between two systems :??:  (any other suggestions would be welcomed :)  )

Intel I5 2500 3.3GHz
AMD HD 6850
4GB RAM
MSI H61M-E33 H61 Motherboard

AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
Gefore GTX 560 Ti
4GB RAM
ASUS M4N68 Motherboard

I presumed that the AMD system would perform better as it has the better graphics card however iv'e been told the I5's better performance is hugely beneficial to games, any opinions on the better system :D 

More about : building gaming

June 28, 2011 2:39:39 PM

i have always turned twords the phenom x6, for the price of the i5 you can get 6 cores instead of 4, but theres tons of people on here that are super pro intel too so im never too sure.
if your just comparing the x4 and the i5 you will get much more out of an i5 but the x6 would be my choice for more cores per $$$, i think its better to have more cores, and more brute force than 4 efficient ones but thats just me.

im sure someone will post some performance tests and show you how the i5 is overall the best, but think about how it costs $100 more for similar performance.
June 28, 2011 2:43:58 PM

samrialj said:
i have always turned twords the phenom x6, for the price of the i5 you can get 6 cores instead of 4, but theres tons of people on here that are super pro intel too so im never too sure.
if your just comparing the x4 and the i5 you will get much more out of an i5 but the x6 would be my choice for more cores per $$$, i think its better to have more cores, and more brute force than 4 efficient ones but thats just me.

im sure someone will post some performance tests and show you how the i5 is overall the best, but think about how it costs $100 more for similar performance.

Out of those two systems which do you think would perform the best in games?, because the i5 is a better processor but the AMD config has a better graphics card. I could possibly get a 975 BE for the AMD config which im kinda leaning towards :D 
Related resources
June 28, 2011 2:48:28 PM

could you post the full build with the prices from a website like newegg.com?
I'm mot sure if the asus motherboard supports the 125watt TDP Phenom x4 i think it only supports the 95watt TDP version...
as for graphics cards, its anyone's game the 560 ti and 6850 are almost at par with eachother so the choice is yours but with a $950 budget you culd probably sneak some sli or crossfire in there with maybe two 550 ti?
June 28, 2011 2:53:08 PM

out of the two the i5 would. you cant exactly compare it to a x4 performance wise its just a lesser CPU in comparison, but on the other hand if you had a x4 and put $100 more into your graphics card it would be well worth getting a x4 if you ask me. games are more GPU intensive than CPU.
June 28, 2011 2:56:33 PM

samrialj said:
out of the two the i5 would. you cant exactly compare it to a x4 performance wise its just a lesser CPU in comparison, but on the other hand if you had a x4 and put $100 more into your graphics card it would be well worth getting a x4 if you ask me. games are more GPU intensive than CPU.

AMD Config: http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/saving/show.aspx?id=3...

Intel Config: http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/saving/show.aspx?id=3...

Cheers for your help :D 
June 28, 2011 3:04:48 PM

your having some one else build it for you??? like buying it assembled?? im sure you could save alot if you did it yourself? and its very easy to do.
June 28, 2011 3:06:56 PM

you have to be suspicious if you dont know the full price of every part. let me see how much it costs for the x4 builds parts i'll be back soon, i just want to see if your getting overcharged...
June 28, 2011 3:08:16 PM

samrialj said:
your having some one else build it for you??? like buying it assembled?? im sure you could save alot if you did it yourself? and its very easy to do.

I did consider building a system myself but it seems fairly difficult to do and cyberpower seems to have fairly good value compared to my local computer shop that can only do a hd 5770+ phenom II 965 for £670
June 28, 2011 3:17:48 PM

alright i went threw and added all the parts and it came to a total of $712 USD
how much is that un the UK i used a converter and got about £445.
June 28, 2011 3:27:43 PM

and the power supply i added was of better quality than the 700w "unbranded" PSU on that website. that PC really doesn't need 700watts either, that's a joke.
the ram i added in was of better quality and the best 560ti
June 28, 2011 3:34:27 PM

its VERY VERY easy to do. have you looked it up? theres a lot of Great informational videos and im completely serious when i say you could learn how to do it in a ten Minuit youtube video, its a really great experience building your own pc it makes it a lot more personal.
June 28, 2011 3:49:32 PM

samrialj said:
its VERY VERY easy to do. have you looked it up? theres a lot of Great informational videos and im completely serious when i say you could learn how to do it in a ten Minuit youtube video, its a really great experience building your own pc it makes it a lot more personal.

Does sound very tempting ill give it a look and see how it goes, cheers :D 
June 28, 2011 3:59:18 PM

remember there's thousands of people on the forums that would love to answer any of your questions or concerns, about anything

so don't be shy.
June 28, 2011 4:28:39 PM

samrialj said:
remember there's thousands of people on the forums that would love to answer any of your questions or concerns, about anything

so don't be shy.

Im seriously considering building my own because of the money ill save, but if i can't or decide against it is there a configuration you can choose from www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk for a budget of £640/ $1000? I'll probably use the system solely for gaming.