Building a new Gaming PC.

TNTee

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
I can't decide upon which Graphics Card should i choose... (willing to spend around 400 Euros) I was considering the GTX570 and HD6970 at the beginning but...while searching i saw that HD5970 probably exceeds both of those in performance..
Let me say that i mostly play World Of Warcraft.. but i m willing and going to play all the graphic demanding games most probably. I saw on some graphics card charts about world of warcraft that... 5870 is the best one by far (since HD5970 can't take advantage of its dual core system apparently for the specific game.)

Please throw in some elaborated advice. Thank you in advance...

I definitely wouldn't get a 5970. Those cards have had issues...

As far as I know, WoW tends to prefer Nvidia cards so the 570 would probably give better performance than a 6970, but you can't go wrong either way. Both are nice cards.

5870 is definitely a good card, and at a very good price these days. But it's not as good as the other two you're looking at, and it doesn't scale as well if you go crossfire compared to the new cards.

TNTee

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
One more question since like i said i most probably not only be playing world of warcraft but also High-End graphics required games... (thanks for the charts' link btw shrkbay..the one i found was obviously outdated) Am i going to experience problems with choosing ATI over Nvidia due to Physx technology?...since many games (and more and more will..) support that feature.

No, PhysX has two "versions". The normal one that the vast majority of all 'physx' games use is simple background physics, almost identical in every way to other physics engines like Havoc and Bullet.

Then there's "hardware accelerated PhysX" which only runs on Nvidia GPUs. This is not mandatory to play games, but it does add very nice eye candy. The thing is, only 20 games (including upcoming ones) use this accelerated feature. ( http://physxinfo.com )

Also if it's something you really want you can still go with a Radeon card and then install a cheap Nvidia card. You just need to run a little patch to get them to work toegether. That's what I do.

Actually Nvidia 3D vision has a lot of support. Their games list is pretty much every title over the last few years. If I had Nvidia cards capable of it I would probably go with 3D myself, but I have AMD... I could do amd 3D but it's nowhere near as matured as Nvidia's version.

AMD though is better with multimonitor setups - at least on a single card.