New Build Opinions Requested

jaysilver12

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
I am building a new system and below are the parts I was going to throw in. I already have a 1000w power supply, and a DVD drive so those parts are not needed in the build. If anyone has better suggestions for parts I welcome them. Only exception is the processor I am happy with that one, as I do not feel the need to boost up to 6 cores.

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Video Card: XFX HD-695X-CDDC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP

Memory: G.SKILL Sniper 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Motherboard: MSI 870S-G46 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound -

CPU Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm

As always thanks for looking and opinions or suggestions are always welcome!!

r3xx3r

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
yes. again i agree with rolli, the intel 2nd gen core i5 and core i7 processors crush anything amd has out today. and 16GB or ram really overkill. you will never need that unless you run many Virtual Machines or do tons of video editing.

jaysilver12

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Cool and yes I was looking at Intel but price is a small concern. I will for sure keep that in mind about the memory. Another deal on memory that I just got was 12 gigs for 84.99 is that a pretty good deal?

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
I have a full range of recommendations here.

Buy an Asus mobo, high quality, Rock solid stable, less problems, and better warantee.

Buy the fastest intel sandybridge you can afford, because it just kicks the crap out of the AMD offering.

Buy Crucial Ballistix memory because its the highest quality memory on the market and is rock solid stable.

Buy a Lifetime warantee eVGA graphics card, high quality, excellent warantee, they have no rival.

Buy a thermaltake case, because they quite simply have the best cases on the planet.

Unless you plan on overvolting your CPU I would stick with the intel heatsink and fan, you can OC it plenty without touching the voltages.

Quality is king when you are building a custom Rig, its never a good idea to buy cheap parts, remember you get what you pay for.

HippieMagic

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
The HAF X is a nice case but it is the size of a small house. It is about 2 feet tall, 2 feet deep, and 10 inches wide. It BARELY fits under my desk and my keyboard tray does hit the top of it slightly.

jaysilver12

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Well yes I am aware of Intel blowing AMD out of the water, but I am perfectly find with AMD been using it for many years and it meets my needs at a cheaper price.

I am actually switching the motherboards to ASUS probably the ASUS M4A89TD PRO or the formula one if I want to spend the extra 30 bucks.

I did actually look at thermaltake case, but the Cooler master provided the best airflow and cable management system. Yes it is the size of a small house but I use an Antec 1200 right now so lol I am use to the house. I would rather have better airflow.

I will for sure take your recommendation and exam Crucial Ballistix memory. Thank you I was looking at tri-channel I have changed up the memory to a dual channel option for now.

I will look into the video card too. I might blow off the heatsink for now and use the stock one, since I am buying a wind tunnel the stock AMD cooler might just do the trick.