Monitor not working with specific computer, why?

mallettk

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Hello,

I have a Dell Optiplex GX280 I believe and I can’t get it to display on a specific monitor. I don’t know the model of the monitor but it’s a dell widescreen monitor. I hooked up a different monitor to the computer and it worked fine. I saw it boot up fine to the OS. So I thought the monitor was bad until I hooked up the monitor to a laptop and it worked fine. Again I tried hooking up the Optiplex GX280 with the widescreen Dell monitor and it didn’t work. All I get one the screen is that the monitor is entering into power save mode. I tried switching sources as well VGA and DVI but no luck, still the same message on the screen. I’m not sure what’s going on, but some help would be GREATLY appreciated. Hopefully all this made sense….lol

Thanks

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Interesting. I'd check the back of the monitor to see if there are any identifying marks- the information should be somewhere on there. I've heard of certain monitors not functioning with certain graphics cards- you should do a quick google search with both model numbers to see if there is any information readily available.

Other than that maybe cycle through the monitor inputs once you plug it in and/or check display settings if you have another monitor that you can hook up at the same time.

mallettk

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Thanks for your reply beltzy! Whats also weird about it is that this whole setup (Optiplex GX280 and Dell widescreen monitor) was working fine before but one day it just decided not to work.