Help deciding on GPU for $250

jedinegotiator

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Title basically says it. I am looking to buy a new GPU for around the price of $250

What would you recommend? Link me to the card on newegg if you can. I am more of an Nvidia guy than ATI but if you insist on ATI thats cool too.

Solution
Your options for that price range are:

NVidia GTX 560ti
AMD HD 6950 (2GB or 1GB)

On average they should perform similarly. Note that the 6950 can have it's BIOS flashed and turned into an HD 6970 using a simple procedure. There is a "hard" BIOS switch to provide an additional safeguard in the case that any issues occur. If you are interested in taking advantage of thie BIOS flash, go for the 6950. If you would prefer to stick with NVidia (nothing wrong with that) go for the 560ti. Either are good options that provide great value. Reviews of both cards are available on this website, Guru3d.com, anandtech.com, and many others!

jedinegotiator

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011

Actually I didnt see the sticky at the top of the page about this. I am going to read that. You can still suggest if you like.

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Your options for that price range are:

NVidia GTX 560ti
AMD HD 6950 (2GB or 1GB)

On average they should perform similarly. Note that the 6950 can have it's BIOS flashed and turned into an HD 6970 using a simple procedure. There is a "hard" BIOS switch to provide an additional safeguard in the case that any issues occur. If you are interested in taking advantage of thie BIOS flash, go for the 6950. If you would prefer to stick with NVidia (nothing wrong with that) go for the 560ti. Either are good options that provide great value. Reviews of both cards are available on this website, Guru3d.com, anandtech.com, and many others!

Solution