Updating graphics of dell studio 1749

ajgo333

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
i have a dell studio 1749 laptop with intel hd graphics of the i3 processor.is there any way by which i can add a new graphics card.are there any reliable external graphics card solutions available to buy.

what about these.will i be able to do play games at atleat medium settings with it.the expresscard has very low transfer capability.so is it practical to use a desktop graphics card with it.

http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock

Solution
^That or sell your laptop on craigslist and upgrade to a laptop with dedicated card. If you have any intention on gaming on a laptop you want to get something decent for video. My buddy is trying to tell his because of this and I gave him flack for not talking to me first.
I think there are some USB 2 video adapters but they are very slow and you can really only use them for desktop functions. Your HD graphics would be far better.

I think MSI and ASUS were dabbling with some USB 3.0 and Expresscard external cards, but they were at show and not for sale.

With a laptop you get what you get. No video upgrades.

Yes I wouls say those cards should be able to play games with at least medium settings.How is the card going to get power?
It states that some cards will need PCI express connectors from the PSU.How do you think you can manage that considering laptops don't have psu's.

ajgo333

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

doesnt it give upto 225watts on its own

if no, will this work??
http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/196/1

but still what about the bandwidth of the express card slot.will it bottleneck the card too much?

^That or sell your laptop on craigslist and upgrade to a laptop with dedicated card. If you have any intention on gaming on a laptop you want to get something decent for video. My buddy is trying to tell his because of this and I gave him flack for not talking to me first.

Solution