Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best Z77 Motherboard for Dual GPU

Last response: in Motherboards
June 15, 2012 5:14:53 PM

Hello,
I have been searching on Newegg for a motherboard with 2 PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots. My budget is $250 USD or below. I currently am looking at the Asus Sabertooth ($229 one)and the MSI Z77A-GD80. I will be pairing my motherboard with 2 GTX 670s in SLI, an Intel i5 3570k with a Zalman CNPS 9900 CPU cooler, 16 gb (4x4) of G. Skill Ares 1600 1.5v RAM, a Crucial M4 128 gb boot drive, 2 1 tb 6 gb/s Western Digital Caviar Black storage drives and a Corsair Professional Series Gold 750w PSU. Is this PSU enough for my setup? Also, for gaming, is there a difference between a GPU connected to a 16x PCI 3.0 Express slot and a 8x one? If you have any changes that you would make, feel free to comment. Would the Zalman actually fit? Oh, and I will be using an Antec Performance One Series P193 V3 case.
Thanks!
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2012 7:42:29 PM

Skip the MSI, they are not great quality, especially if you want to OC.

Look at a list of all the reported motherboards that failed due to blown voltage regulators and it looks like this

MSI
MSI
MSI
MSI
MSI
Asrock
MSI
MSI
MSI
MSI
MSI

Your Zalman cooler isn't going to hit the Voltage regulators and it doesn't sound like anything else in your system is going to either so you want voltage regulators that don't suck at the base level like MSIs do.

There is not going to be a difference for you between x16 and x8, in fact its most likely that they will be working at x8/x8 and that's probably going to be higher performance than if you can get it to do x16/x16 anyway.

I can't comment on whether it will fix the case, I would investigate the dimensions thoroughly before you make the purchase.
Score

Best solution

June 15, 2012 8:02:29 PM

Hi MeGustaComputadore,

The power supply will be fine for your SLI setup.

For a cooler I'd suggest looking into this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler - $95.99

With an SLI setup it's going to get hot in your case.

The Noctua is one of the best air aftermarket HS/F available.

You won't notice the different between x16 and x8, however make sure you get PCI-E 3.0 if you're going with a 670 and ivy-bridge architecture.

As for your starting question I would go with the Asus Sabertooth.

Best of luck on your new build!

Shinseina
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2012 8:08:01 PM

Even if you got a PCIE 3.0 slot you most likely wouldn't get two of them so an SLI setup would be held back by the lower power second slot.

Pretty much any Z77 board should have 1x PCIE 3.0 slot automatically, and I don't know any that have two, so you might as well not focus on that aspect too much.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 3:29:14 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!