Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dell Optiplex GX520 wont post

Last response: in Motherboards
June 15, 2012 5:42:48 PM

Forum:

Im trying to repair my freinds daughters Optiplex GX520 which boots past the splash screen but will not post all i see is a blinking cursor @ posting. After removing the Cmos i did get two errors:

1. Fan failure ( fan is working )

2. Battery low ( Replaced new battery )

I tried to set the boot sequence to cd and upgade to win7 but would noe allow me to continue....We also reseated all cables and memory modules as well.

After returning everything to normal ,however we still get the blinking light cursor but desktop will not post at all..... It is running Bios A11

We also ran Dell Diagnostics cd and all components passes it appears it is a windows issue.....

Any feedback is welcome and again thanks in advance.....

E
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2012 6:52:13 PM

It does sound like a windows problem... are you able to enter your BIOS or hit 'F12' to select boot options?
Score
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2012 7:25:53 PM

You can grab her hard drive and shove it in a different computer, format it there as a 2nd hard drive, and then stick it back in her computer and install the same kind of Windows that was already on there again.

That might work.

A lot of times older computers aren't capable of using Windows 7.
Score
Related resources
June 16, 2012 12:55:09 PM

anonymous1 said:
It does sound like a windows problem... are you able to enter your BIOS or hit 'F12' to select boot options?

anonymous1:

Thanks for the reply.

We are able to select the F12 Boot options and have checked and double checked the settings which are Factory Settings pretty much all appear correct.

I have a question Could it be a bios file curruption? I have heard of people briking these Dells and surly dont want to do that....

Any suggestions?

E
Score
June 16, 2012 12:58:35 PM

Raiddinn said:
You can grab her hard drive and shove it in a different computer, format it there as a 2nd hard drive, and then stick it back in her computer and install the same kind of Windows that was already on there again.

That might work.

A lot of times older computers aren't capable of using Windows 7.

Raiddinn:

I have suggested this erxact idea to her yesterday if no other alternative to try and save the data your right, however this may be pandoras box given i would have to hunt down the Dell drivers which would be a severe paint in the neck....LOL

E
Score

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 1:40:14 PM

If indeed the BIOS file is corrupted on her motherboard, then it is already a paperweight and there is nothing you can do, that is it. There is no coming back from that. Maybe the maker could take off the BIOS chip and replace it with one that wasn't messed up, but that would cost more than just sending you a new one so they wouldn't bother.

If it is just the boot table, the thing that tells the computer where the information is that tells it how to boot the OS, then you might be able to fix it by doing an FDISK /MBR. You should be able to look up how to do that in detail on the internet.

If you are able to boot to a CD, reinstalling Windows would accomplish the same goal. It may suck for you to have to find drivers and stuff, but your situation is bad either way it sounds like.
a b V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 1:52:37 PM

Have you tryed a linux live disk?
I some times use knoppix.
Score
June 16, 2012 2:33:23 PM

Will try forum thanks for the insight we will let you know how it goes...

Again thank you

E
Score
June 26, 2012 7:06:49 AM

Best answer selected by ezz1r.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 26, 2012 7:09:12 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!