trolling troll

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hello, i was just wondering about you're opinions about my new ibuypower rig. It will not come with a OS nor a moniter but i think i can connect my old oem moniter to the gpu so that will suffice. here are the specs :bounce:
AMD Athlon II X2 DDR3 Configurator 1 x Case ( Thermaltake V5 Gaming Case - Red )
0 x Case Lighting ( None )
0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )
0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )
1 x Processor ( [= Quad Core =] AMD Phenom™ II X4 925 Quad-Core CPU )
1 x Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan )
1 x Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1333 Memory Module - ** FREE Upgrade to DDR3-1600 ** Corsair or Major Brand )
1 x Video Card ( AMD Radeon HD 6790 - 1GB - Single Card )
1 x Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA )
1 x Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 -- AMD 770 )
1 x Motherboard USB / SATA Interface ( Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface )
1 x Power Supply ( 700 Watt -- Standard )
1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
0 x Data Hard Drive ( None )
1 x Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )
0 x 2nd Optical Drive ( None )
0 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( None )
0 x Meter Display ( None )
0 x USB Expansion ( None )
1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
1 x Operating System ( None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only )
1 x Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard - Black )
1 x Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse )
0 x Monitor ( None )

-No liquid cooling. Few processors will ever need that; a 925 certainly won't.
-Way overpowered PSU.
-Is there a sound card or not? I can't tell. You probably don't need one, unless you're a serious audiophile with excellent speakers.
-What about OS?
I think you can manage a better graphics card, especially if you make the edits above. What's your overall budget?

With X4 Phenom II 955s so inexpensive these days, I see no use for any cpus clocked lower to be selected. The 6790 appears to provide 'close to GTX460' performance...

770 chipset is an older motherboard, but should work if on a budget...

I'd also check out i5-2400/H67 based rigs if gaming is the goal....

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
I agree that liquid cooling wont be necessary, however since the price difference in PSU's is so little, its better to buy a 650w+ PSU which will cater for future expansion and overlocking (namely going SLI) than to replace the whole thing at a much more costly price in the future.

That 700w PSU should be fine, id stick with it. A few things to note though, get a branded one, something decent, Bronze/Silver 80 Plus rating or better, single rail is recommended, and a modular design is also nice to have.

What is the price?
As a rule, you can do better by ordering your own parts.
That way, you get exactly what you want.

As to this combo, and I assume it is for gaming:

1) The sandy bridge processors are much more capable gaming cpu's compared to the amd offerings today.
Read this article on <$200 gaming cpu's:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i3-2100-phenom-ii-x6-1075t,2859.html
The $200 2500K is about as good as it gets. Even the $120 2100 will be superior.

2) Liquid cooling is useless, and even a negative for any but the highest end overclocked rigs. You just don't need the maintenance hassles of liquid cooling when a decent air cooler will do just as well.

3) The 700w psu is, so far, a noname unit. Quality counts.

4) Ram is cheap, a 2 x 4gb kit is not expensive and offers some benefits:
http://blog.corsair.com/?p=65

5) A samsung 1tb hard drive will perform better, and give you more storage. The cost difference is minimal.

6) Go to a local computer store and try out a keyboard and mouse. How it fits in your hand is most important.

7) 6790 is ok, but I might look at a GTX560ti also.

7) The parts will have a decent warranty. The satisfaction of doing it yourself...Priceless!

trolling troll

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
:pt1cable: my budget is around 800 $. yes there is a sound card. Also I looked at a gpu comparison chart with the 560 ti and the 6970 and the 6970 is better, but the 560 ti has about twice the speed on the shader clock. But it comes short on the other memory and core clocks. I dont know about OS just yet so i think ill just get a pre formatted drive and wait and see, but I will not get vista cause it blows :eek:. The liquid cooling comes free on ibuypower's system customizer b ut i think ill remove it, as it was said about upkeep or w/e. thanks for the feedback tho....dont let the name get to you lol i couldnt think of anything else

trolling troll

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Oh btw is there a huge differance between the amd radeon 6790 and the 6770 ? Cause apperantly some people belive the differance is that you can play crysis 2 on medium with the 6770, and then you can play it on high quality on the 6790. I wouldnt think that the two would be much of the differance because there of the same line ? But it's been along time since ive been on here and I have forgotten alot of info about pc's and such

On graphics cards, you mostly get what you pay for. The market is very competitive, so there will not be a lot of difference in performance between cards at the same price point. Get the best card you feel comfortable paying for. The graphics card is THE most important component in gaming performance. Buy either AMD or NVIDIA if you have a preference. If you play one primary game look for benchmarks that match that game and your resolution. Otherwise, don't anguish over differences. The last page of this article lists most cards by performance tiers so you can see where prospective cards fit. It takes several tiers difference to be really noticed.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-game-performance-radeon-hd-6670,2935.html

$800 is a good budget. Look at these two articles, a $500 build, and a $1000 build.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/diy-gaming-pc,2970.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc,2969.html

trolling troll

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
I apologize about the large amount of information on my threads but i chose a Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2 for my psu for the quality, and this is the updated rig info Independence M1 Special 1 x Case ( Xion Echo Gaming Case - Black )
0 x Case Lighting ( None )
0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )
0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )
1 x Processor ( [= Quad Core =] AMD Phenom™ II X4 925 Quad-Core CPU )
1 x Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink )
1 x Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )
1 x Video Card ( AMD Radeon HD 6790 - 1GB - Single Card )
1 x Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA )
1 x Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 -- AMD 770 )
1 x Motherboard USB / SATA Interface ( Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface )
1 x Power Supply ( 650 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2 )
1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
0 x Data Hard Drive ( None )
1 x Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )
0 x 2nd Optical Drive ( None )
0 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( None )
0 x Meter Display ( None )
0 x USB Expansion ( None )
1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
1 x Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )
1 x Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard - Black )
1 x Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse )
0 x Monitor ( None )
0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )
1 x Speaker System ( iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )