Anyone with 64 GB or 128 GB RAM build out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashma

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I need to build system with plenty of RAM for Photoshop work. The feedback information from motherboard buyers indicates that most LGA 2011 motherboards have issuance recognizing complete 64 GB of RAM, let alone 128GB. Did anyone build stable system with that much RAM? If you are, please be kind to share your component setup, particularly Main Board info, Bios revision, RAM manufacturer and stick/ kit serial number. Thank you in advance.

xtreme5

Distinguished
wow, 64 and 128gb are you going to the space with that amount of ram, editing does not require more than 16gb of ram even 32GB is way too much overkill , if you do alot heavy editing still you don't need more than 16gb. In this forum I've seen a guy he was also in the search of 64gb kit ram but i forgot his name. Damn!

ashma

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
64 GB may sound like much, but it is not for Photoshop work. I do collages. A single file can easily have 100 layers... sometimes 4 times as many. A single layer can contain 10-40 mb worth of info. So we are already into multi-gigabyte territory. With each image Photoshop needs about 4 times as much space in RAM to do its magic - undos, history states, etc... I am afraid 64 GB may not do what I want, but I don't think 128 GB setup is even possible for modern desktops... - there are simply no such memory kits... And if you plan for the future - let's say 5 years from now 128 GB does not sound that impressive after all... Have you heard of gigapixel cameras? They are coming...

Companies aren't going to be making a lot of programs that use 64 - 128 GBs of RAM any time soon since 99.9% of people don't have anywhere close to that. 99.9% of people don't even have boards that can handle it even if they had the money to buy 8x 8GBs or 16x 8GBs.

They make programs that the people who want to use have systems capable of using. If their average customer has 16 GBs they make programs that require that, for example.

Additionally, games are one of the biggest things that pushes new hardware into homes and games are written as 32 bit to be compatible on as many computers as possible which means they can only use 2 GBs of RAM.

So while video games are pushing new hardware in the form of video cards, processors, and so on into people's homes, it is not doing the same thing for large amounts of RAM.

You could try this motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188070

but all I have ever seen and heard is that these things are a huge PITA to work with and have very high rates of flaws right out of the box. It is also $500 too, but I guess if you really must have 64 - 128 GBs that would get you potentially up to 96. You gotta pay to play if you have ultra-niche interests.

ashma

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Well... there are people who are still using windows XP, there are people who still watching TVs and there are people who still use regular mail and afraid of computers... and among those people there are millions of unemployed... If you want to survive professionally in modern world you need to learn things like email, modern software, programming and you need to push the envelope with hardware... I agree with you when it comes to consumer world... but when it comes to professional needs you either stagnate, sink or swim... It is precisely because of this PITA installation troubles that I come to this forum for some advice... Thank you for the input, yet this board is a bit outdated considering the price... most of current LGA 2011 boards support 64GB of quad channel RAM... on paper, the problem comes when you try to install it $3000 later. I have never dealt with Asrock boards before... What's your opinion of this company?

bavarians6

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
If you really do think you need 64GB of RAM, good luck to you. To do that, you'll need a good quality motherboard from a reputable manufacturer with a great warranty, as from what I've seen and heard, defect rates are high.

If you think you need 128GB, then you'll need to build on a server motherboard. Nothing wrong with this, if that's what you really need. But for advice on that, you'll have to go an check a server-specific forum, as from what I understand, memory in servers is a bit different than in the consumer space. They're much more finicky about what they will and won't accept for super-high memory configurations.

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but if I were you, I'd get a good consumer 2011 socket motherboard that's rated to use 64GB, and then get RAM from a very reputable company, like Corsair or someone similar. Get 32GB and see if that alleviates your issues. If not, get more.

ashma

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012

I currently working with 8GB. Efficiency setting in Photoshop on most of my image operations reside in the range 6%-13% which means that my RAM is sufficient to process only 6%-13% of my image - the rest is swapped to HDD. In other words to properly work with image files of current size I need somewhere around 100GB of RAM. Yes the files are huge... but that what I do...

ashma

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012

I don't mind hearing that. In fact I'have been looking at LGA 2011 all along and find plenty of boards with the amount of RAM I need. I've been using Corsair for last several years... also. The problem comes when you memory that Corsair recommends is not on Qualified Vendor's List and vice versa. When match does occur you read horror stories from people who tried to install that much memory on the board in question... so I am looking for someone who already done that and have stable build...

PS.
Only on these forums I realize how unusual my memory requirements... and that is not a good thing.

I have servers with a lot more than 128GB of RAM, but most of the folks I run across never require >64GB of RAM. Now if you want an additional 64GB for a RAM Drive (128GB total) for the Files & Scratch Disk then sure why not if you have the money.

Eventually, there will be 16GB/stick density for consumers that 'should' work on the X79/LGA 2011 (8x16GB), but for now it's all RDIMM.

I would look at the SUPERMICRO X9SRA and your choice of Xeon E5-2600 series with 8x16GB e.g. Samsung M393B2G70BH0-CK0
ref - http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon/c600/x9sra.cfm

ashma

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012

Well, this is closer to what I am looking for... the board is actually is not that expensive... have to look into RDIMM prices...but looking at the board I kind of wonder if it can work with high end video cards... I've been worrying about RAM, but I do need decent video also... this server set up is too novel for me - have to do more research... But certainly thank you for interesting suggestion

ashma

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Jaquith and Raiddinn thank you for your help. It is time for me to do the homework on components - the prices for complete system are getting a bit too high... I will have to make my mind between mid tire and high end LGA 2011 boards... and server vs. workstation setups... will post again to this group when get some sort of working solution...

e5-26xx beginner

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
we had failed to built with 128GB (8 slot x 16GB with 2 rank ) ram on 9XSRA mobo. We are running windows7 x64 limiting to 96 GB (6slot x 16GB). we enjoy 64GB main memory and 32 GB ram disk to run FEM soft.

zhadum

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7 64bit:

Starter: 8GB
Home Basic: 8GB
Home Premium: 16GB
Professional: 192GB
Enterprise: 192GB
Ultimate: 192GB

As for the build, you could get this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182336

and 2 sets of these

Kingston 64GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239276

Also, you could use this setup as reference for your build as well:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xeon-e5-2687w-benchmark-review,3149-4.html

Wish you best of luck with your build!

seanseebran

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012

I have a really solid build running a i7-3930K 3.2 1 LGA 2011 Processor, SSD x 2, Hdd x 3 and 64 GB ram. Stable and wicked fast.
I can give the specs if you like.

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
I would bet you NEVER use that RAM. To whoever stated a super high Gigapixal camera. LOL! Like shooting video with a DSLR. The bigger numbers are for YOU to upgrade a perfectly good piece of equipment. You want nice video you want many frames a second and progressive. Go record a gun firing and then see what I mean, when you try an slow it down.
Research, it will save you a bundle. I bought a quadro card 2 months ago as the Drivers are written for the software I like to use, as well as written for most NLE/photshop LIKE ADOBE CS6. I may have been that guy who was trying to build an x79 platform with 64gb.... I read, and asked to 2 months now, and am saving about a 1000. bucks after doing so. That gets me almost halfway to my 'Blackmagic" Raw video camera. You would be better off buying 4gb or bigger video card and coupling it with 32 gb of Ram then buying 1000gb of ram and coupling it with 2gb of vram. Oh and your computer is not using your HDD to render. It May be using your RAM or GPU but not your HDD storage to render. As well as using crossfire with Two 4gb cards does not give you 8gb of space. Rather it mirrors the job and will render 4gbs almost twice as fast. Hope this helps. I went round and round trying to learn this. The folks on this forum, such as Mocchan helped me a lot understanding that.
Peace,
netcommercial

comapss

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Hello,
I wonder if W7 64 bit sees all 64 GB of Ram.. ? and how much is actualy available for photoshop. working with single files 30GB each, 1 history state.. so double the size I need 60 GB Ram available ... Now working with Raid 0 hdd as scratch disc..

But 14 minute open and save times are just too long. Have 3 months work ahead and trying to shave of a few weeks spending 2-3 hours a day saving.. Not very efficient. So trying to see if going from scratch drive to Ram will do the trick... or I try SSD scratch discs..

Maybe any comments, as you might be doing similar Ram Temp intensive work.
In any case the yous system set up would be very helpfull tnks

Klaus

It definitely helps to use SSDs when you need to save huge quantities of data. Having multiple SSDs in RAID allows it to work even faster. I have seen an advertisement where someone put 32 SSDs in a RAID setup and they were able to copy a 4.7 gig movie file in about 15 seconds.

Windows 7 x64 definitely does see all 64 GBs of RAM.

Starman80

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Yes, Even Windows XP Pro x64-bit edition can use 128GB of RAM. LGA 2011 boards with 8 DIMMs can use up to 128GB with future 16GB DDR-3 modules, or 64GB with current ones. With the massive file sizes you are working with, you would probably benefit from the processing power of dual-CPUs. With a board like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131861, you could start out with on 6 or 8-core LGA2011 Xeon CPU, 128GB of RAM, and later upgrade to a second CPU and even more memory if desired. It can handle a stunning 512GB (.5TB) or RAM!

Of course to use that much, you will need an industrial-strength OS like Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise or Server 2012 Standard. I don't recommend Windows "8" due to its poor interface, although it claims up to 512GB on the Pro 64-bit edition.

Starman80

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
In my opinion, the interface of Windows 8 (really 6.2) is very poor and dumbed-down, and I would never recommend it to anyone. The Start Menu has been stripped away, the dual-interface scheme (with Metro / Modern apps vs the desktop) is detrimental and even things like My Documents are harder to get into. So I am very disappointed with Microsoft on this one.

Clicking in the lower left corner brings up the metro interface which is functionally equivalent to a start menu. I don't see what the problem is.

Did you, by any chance, prefer using DOS 6.22 long after Windows 95 was released?

As far as getting into My Documents goes, I don't see why its so hard to click on my computer and then click on the documents icon. It is one additional step from if there were a my documents icon on the desktop, but it takes all of about half a second more time RL to accomplish.

I bought Windows 8 so I could get familiar with it in order to better be able to support it, but I honestly can't see myself going back to 7 like I originally intended to. I am normally pretty resistant to change and all, but it really doesn't feel worse to me.

Boot times were shrunk down in Windows 8, the metro UI as a replacement for the start menu is actually more efficient and reduces the necessary clicks and its arguably more visually appealing, performance is up a tiny bit across the board, and quite a few other things.

I am not real happy with their mail program, but its still possible to just download and use any other kind of mail program you want.

I like how they streamlined the interface and moved to a hover in the corner model to bring up things that would normally be taking up screen real estate and how easy it is to exit out of stuff like unused desktop sessions.

I kinda hated it for about the first week or so, but after that it was not a problem anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.