Help me, System wont boot burning smell!

CarlosGrosso

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Help me, yesterday I built a pc but the system didnt boot and I was tired so I went to bed and today I verified that the ram was ok and that all the connectors were in their place, but when I plugged in the power cord and pressed the power button I heard a loud bang and there was a burning-smell, im so scared guys, does that mean that something is dead?

Also when I plugged in the power cord the motherboard had a green light on it.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
"loud bang" and "burning smell" probably means something is dead. If it wasn't for the green light on the mobo i'd assume it's your power supply.

Alternatively if you used any old components it could be a bad capacitor exploding from the hydrogen buildup.

CarlosGrosso

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011

D: but yesterday the system wont boot and It had no burning smell whatsoever and today I just reconnected all the power pins to the motherboard and I heard the bang and burning smell when I pressed the power button.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I'm just saying that, as a general rule "bangs" and "burning smells" usually point directly to a dead component or another equally unhappy situation. Look for charred spots on any circuit board, or any capacitors with the tops blown off. stick your nose right in the back of the Power Supply and see if you smell ozone (a burnt, tinny smell) or other odd scents.

besides that, does it not post at all or it just won't boot?

CarlosGrosso

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011

I havent tried anything im afraid to make it worse, but the system never booted

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
so it would start and do all the motherboard white-text-on-black-screen technical stuff (POST) but when it got to the point where it starts loading windows by showing the windows logo (BOOT) would it crash or hang or have other issues?

CarlosGrosso

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011

No, it never booted I mean It never showed any sign of power except for the motherboard that had a green light.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
booting and POSTing are 2 different things, a boot is when it loads the operating system, the Post (Power On, Self Test) is simply when the motherboard checks the devices attached, amount of ram, processor ETC. You can have a computer that doesn't have an optical drive or hard drive and it will still POST as it's a function of the motherboard.

For future reference, If it doesn't turn on at all, that means it's not POSTing.
If it doesn't go into windows/linux properly, it's not booting.

In either case, you should check for burnt spots on your components or smell for any off scents.

if it's not starting at all i'd suspect motherboard or power supply, even though you're getting that green light.

You can try shorting the two pins that you normally connect the power to with a flathead screwdriver. (should be horizontally next to the ground on the 9 pin config)