Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

2 ati 6950`s or one nvidia 580

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 16, 2011 12:43:20 AM

Which would be the best performance? One nvidia 580 or 2 ati 6950`s in crossfire

More about : ati 6950 nvidia 580

April 16, 2011 12:53:56 AM

two 6950.

unlock it to 6970. 6970 CF > 580
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 16, 2011 1:14:01 AM

^ Yup, but 6950 CF > 580 already.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 16, 2011 1:23:52 AM

yeah pretty much lol.

scaling in 6xxx series pretty good.
m
0
l
April 16, 2011 1:44:00 AM

I already have two gtx 260`s in SLI but I want to upgrade. Any opinions on that?The 2 260`s are pretty good they plat BF2 at 1920x1080 pretty well but to get smooth game play I turn everything off. Would 2 6950s be a better upgrade?...OR Im I ok with what I have?
m
0
l
April 16, 2011 1:52:32 AM

two 6950's in Crossfire would kill two GTX 260's in SLI even if they were max factory overclocked with 216 core.

:p 

It would be a good upgrade.

But if you have the right mobo to fit in three cards for triple sli, just find a GTX 260 for about $80 and you should be good that direction too.

You can always sell the three cards as a bundle on ebay/craigslist if upgrading in the future.

But since you are playing 1920x1080, i don't see why you should really jump to 6xxx series.
They have more tesllas for resolutions beyond 1920x1080.

i also use 1920x1080 so i went from 4870 to a 5870. no point in jumping to 6950 and 6970 if you don't use eyefinity and have higher resolutions.

Good luck choosing!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 16, 2011 2:00:14 AM

GTX 260 SLI is approximately a 5870/6950. A 6950 CFX would be a great upgrade.

Tri-SLI wouldn't be recommended though, power, heat and noice are subpar, and scaling isnt anywhere near ideal.
m
0
l
April 16, 2011 2:03:42 AM

I forgot about the scaling and power consumption part.

yeah, better off selling the two on ebay or craigslist, then grabbing the 6950's.
m
0
l
April 16, 2011 3:17:52 AM

two cards with noise level near the 580. it's funny.
m
0
l
April 16, 2011 4:36:27 AM

:wahoo: 
Quote:
What's your native resolution OP?

My system monitor is a ASUS VW266 and I believe the native res is 1920x1200 .Im running a GA p55 ud4p mobo with i7 860 with 4g`s of g.skill rip saw ram. Power supply is a corsair 850 pro series, 2 Samsung spinpoint 1tb`s in raid 0.
m
0
l
April 16, 2011 4:42:28 AM

BTW my video cards are the the GTX 260 OC 216`s and I realize that wth this mobo my sli bandwdth is limited due to the p55 chipset, but I still think that 8 lanes are plenty of bandwith. even though 16 is better you will never see that much in real time anyway with all the bottlenecks. Im not an engineer so who knows...lol I just go by what I read
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2011 12:01:27 PM

lyenokio said:
BTW my video cards are the the GTX 260 OC 216`s and I realize that wth this mobo my sli bandwdth is limited due to the p55 chipset, but I still think that 8 lanes are plenty of bandwith. even though 16 is better you will never see that much in real time anyway with all the bottlenecks. Im not an engineer so who knows...lol I just go by what I read


8x/8x on PCIe 2.0 is not a problem (maybe with monster Qual SLI/Quad Xfire) but for 2xHD6950's it won't be a problem. Just make sure that you get the 2GB versions.

Also, what's your CPU (i5-750 maybe??) and PSU?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2011 1:54:39 PM

@ unknown_13

Quote:
My system monitor is a ASUS VW266 and I believe the native res is 1920x1200 .Im running a GA p55 ud4p mobo with i7 860 with 4g`s of g.skill rip saw ram. Power supply is a corsair 850 pro series, 2 Samsung spinpoint 1tb`s in raid 0.


OP: even the GTX 460 will out perform single 580, and the 6950s are much much MUCHHH stronger, they will be over 50% better than single 580, if you get 'em for the same price i'd go with 6950s, scaling is really good and they are better than 570s, they also can be unlocked into 6970s, which run head to head with 580s

you have right now GTX 260s, if i were you i'd wait till the new series come out and sell them to buy one of the new series' cards...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2011 2:12:59 PM

shrkbay said:
@ unknown_13

Quote:
My system monitor is a ASUS VW266 and I believe the native res is 1920x1200 .Im running a GA p55 ud4p mobo with i7 860 with 4g`s of g.skill rip saw ram. Power supply is a corsair 850 pro series, 2 Samsung spinpoint 1tb`s in raid 0.


Dang, where was i looking xD

Well OP then you may want to OC that i7 a little and you're good to go. The PSU is excellent.
m
0
l
April 16, 2011 2:19:18 PM

Quote:
OP: even the GTX 460 will out perform single 580


I think you mean GTX460 SLi
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2011 2:28:45 PM

yeah sry, misstyped
m
0
l
April 17, 2011 1:06:07 AM

cromedome said:
Quote:
OP: even the GTX 460 will out perform single 580


I think you mean GTX460 SLi

That is in SLI though ...RIGHT?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 7:57:17 AM

yes
m
0
l
!