Asus Xonar DG headphones

sam jay

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Hi everybody,

I recently got an Asus Xonar DG sound card. I'm wondering what would be a good set of headphones/headsets to go with it. I'll mostly be using it for gaming. Also, I don't play competitively, so I don't need to pinpoint every sound. Rather, I want a pair of headphones that will immerse me into the game.

Solution

Sam, you may be best served to go and listen to some headphones so you can pick the the ones that are most pleasing to you. Simply going by our advice seems like its not enough, nor can it be.

halcyon

Splendid

Do you need a built in mic?

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I purchased a set of Corsair HS1A, 35mm, then purchased the the Xonar DG. I am very pleased with this combo. The headphone amp on the DG is fantastic. Mic folds out of the way. Very comfortable.

sam jay

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't chosen a pair of headphones yet. Here are some that I'm considering:

Corsair HS1A

ATH-AD500

ATH-M30

SONY MDR-V6

Sennheisser HD 428

Sennheisser HD 515

Also, I have lowered my budget a bit to around $70.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

halcyon

Splendid

I'm sure most will disagree with me, but I think you should wait until you can afford to spend the $100 or a bit more on a decent set of headphones that will last you longer and that you'll get more enjoyment out of. While I do like the Sony MDR-V6 I know, from experience, that the cushions will wear out after a year or so and start to split. They sound good but are not the most durable.

I currently have the Sennheisser HD595 (which are a cousin of the 515). They've been a good all-around headphone. Quite balanced. Not in your stated budget but the HD 515 are probably decent.

sam jay

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

The HD595 is a bit too much. How about the ATH-AD700 or Sennheiser HD-555?

sam jay

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I'm just cautious of the Sennheisers because I read somewhere that the amp on the Asus Xonar DG and other similar cards isn't enough to power them, and you'd be better off getting one that doesn't benefit as much from an amp.

sam jay

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Okay. Have you tried the ATH-AD700? Some say they're better than the HD555

The DG capable of driving up to 150 Ohms, which only a few Senheisser models need [and trust me, they would al cost >$100].

halcyon

Splendid

I currently have a dedicated DAC and headphone amp...I wonder how the DG compares.