Is my configuration right for me?

bluewavesix

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I may have incorrectly placed my previous post:

I am planning on building my first computer in the near future. Keep in mind that my current PC is a Pentium 4 with AGP graphics and 2GB of memory... I have done upgrades before; CPU cooler, PSU, memory, GPU card, sound card, etc. I feel comfortable buidling a new PC from the ground up.

With that said, I mainly work with a lot of video (can't do HD yet due to limitations of my computer). I run Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, Encore, Flash, Blender, and I hope to start learning how to use Maya, ZBrush, and Poser whenever time/money allows. These are all CPU/GPU intense and I need the best possible PC I can get for my budget which is around $2K US.

Here is my parts list so far:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/ [...] r=20586567

If you don't feel like looking at that:

-Asus SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

-Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9Q-16GBXL

-Antec Lanboy air Yellow Black / Yellow ATX Mid Tower Computer Modular Case

-EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1573-AR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP ...

-Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W ATX 12V v2.3, EPS 12V v2.91 CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active ...

1) Does this system look like it will be compatible and powerful?
2) Will this configuration meet my needs (lots of HD editing and encoding, 3D rendering)?
3) Am I skimping out anywhere (or overdoing anything?)
4) As far as my case choice, since it is open air, how does that affect cooling/air flow? Should I go with something else?
5)I have read an article that states that Sandy Bridge is NOT a good option for video editors. I cannot understand the reasoning. I know that the i7 2600(k) beats out the i7 970 (my alternative) in almost every benchmark. Here is the article: http://www.videoguys.com/Blog/E/DI [...] 3d37a.aspx
What is your take on the subject? Should I build a system around the i7 970?

I'm sorry about the long post. Just looking for some help. Thank you in advance!

Solution
Yeah its all nice and compatible and should be able to handle your needs quite well. The lan boy case is rather expensive, you can go with something thats cheaper and cools as well, even the Antec 1200 V3 is cheaper than that lanboy.

Not sure what article came to the conclusion that the 2600K wasnt good for video editing, its a great CPU, one of the very best and will beat down anything you throw at it, sure it might not do it quite as quick as a 990X but it doesnt cost nearly as much. I would stick with it for your needs.

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
-Everything looks compatible
-I really don't edit videos but if your editing software uses multi-cores, you can go with an AMD Phenom II x6, although this works fine
-You can use a cheaper case to save money. You can probably choose another MoBo that is $30 cheaper and have the same functions
-I saw the review of the Lanboy Air by newegg, they recommend fans blowing air in to create positive pressure, so more fans might be good
-Once again, I don't edit videos so I don't know

Yeah its all nice and compatible and should be able to handle your needs quite well. The lan boy case is rather expensive, you can go with something thats cheaper and cools as well, even the Antec 1200 V3 is cheaper than that lanboy.

Not sure what article came to the conclusion that the 2600K wasnt good for video editing, its a great CPU, one of the very best and will beat down anything you throw at it, sure it might not do it quite as quick as a 990X but it doesnt cost nearly as much. I would stick with it for your needs.

Solution