Light Meter: Sekonic vs Minolta

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 9, 2005 9:55:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica Minolta Auto
VF meters?

I am planning to buy one.. and both models are pretty close in price.

Thanks,

will

March 9, 2005 11:50:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

In article <c5xXd.615760$8l.164109@pd7tw1no>, W Chan <yvrwfc@shaw.caca>
wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica Minolta Auto
> VF meters?

My experience in both lines is with models previous to the current
ones; but in general, the Sekonics have been relatively slow and
insensitive in low light. The Minoltas, which I still use, are much
better in this respect.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:06:28 PM

W Chan wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica Minolta Auto
> VF meters?
>
> I am planning to buy one.. and both models are pretty close in price.

I have the Minolta VF. Very good except for not having an automatic
incident flash reset (you haveto press the button each time).

I had a Sekonic 508, and it would reset every time a flash went off ...
so you could position the meter and adjust a strobe without having to
walk back and forth. I don't know how the 358 behaves in this regard.

The Minolta meters are set at 18% grey. The Sekonic meters are set at
14% (or 12, not exactly sure). Depending on your results you may want
of offset the Sekonic by about +1/3 stop to compensate. (The 508 had a
bias setting, I don't know about the 358). Shoot a roll of Sensia with
regular subjects and grey card to find out. If you leave the Sekonic as
is, you will probably end up with slides that are on the saturated side.

Cheers,
Alan.

Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:07:36 PM

Scott Schuckert wrote:

> In article <c5xXd.615760$8l.164109@pd7tw1no>, W Chan <yvrwfc@shaw.caca>
> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica Minolta Auto
> > VF meters?
>
> My experience in both lines is with models previous to the current
> ones; but in general, the Sekonics have been relatively slow and
> insensitive in low light. The Minoltas, which I still use, are much
> better in this respect.

L-358, EV 1.1, was the low end of the exposure scale

iso 800, 8 seconds, f4
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 5:10:06 PM

: wrote:

: > Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica Minolta Auto
: > VF meters?

: My experience in both lines is with models previous to the current
: ones; but in general, the Sekonics have been relatively slow and
: insensitive in low light. The Minoltas, which I still use, are much
: better in this respect.

I just picked up the new Sekonic 558 and they have fixed the issue with
low light sensitivity.

-------------------
fwp@deepthought.com
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 6:23:36 PM

W Chan wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica Minolta Auto
> VF meters?
>
> I am planning to buy one.. and both models are pretty close in price.
>
> Thanks,
>
> will

The Sekonic is a little more sensitive, and has a 1° spot attachment
(the Minolta has a 5° spot). Also, the Sekonic has the Pocketwizard option.

--
chidalgo
Anonymous

Crownfield wrote:

> Scott Schuckert wrote:
>
>>In article <c5xXd.615760$8l.164109@pd7tw1no>, W Chan <yvrwfc@shaw.caca>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica Minolta Auto
>>>VF meters?
>>
>>My experience in both lines is with models previous to the current
>>ones; but in general, the Sekonics have been relatively slow and
>>insensitive in low light. The Minoltas, which I still use, are much
>>better in this respect.
>

> L-358, EV 1.1, was the low end of the exposure scale
>
> iso 800, 8 seconds, f4

Minolta VF: -2 EV to 19.9

March 9, 2005 11:39:20 PM

"W Chan" <yvrwfc@shaw.caca> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica Minolta
> Auto
> VF meters?
I have the L358, but can't compare it to the others you mentioned. I bought
it because it has the radio transmitter (option) for pocket wizard
tranceivers. I use this feature a lot so I prefer it to any meter which
doeas not have this facility, which I beleive the Minolta does not.

I have no problem with the meter except that I sometimes shoot in very low
light and the L358 simply isn't sensitive enough at times.

JJ
March 10, 2005 10:40:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

.. (The 508 had a
> bias setting, I don't know about the 358).

The L358 has a couple of options to make such a bias adjustment.
JJ
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:45:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

They are both great brands and all I can say is the Pro's I work with
usually go for Minolta. Either will be a great meter, I own a Minolta
Spot Meter and a cheap Sekonic Incident meter and both are very accurate

Alan

W Chan wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica Minolta Auto
> VF meters?
>
> I am planning to buy one.. and both models are pretty close in price.
>
> Thanks,
>
> will

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:45:56 AM

"retoohs" <AL.KERR@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> They are both great brands and all I can say is the Pro's I work with
> usually go for Minolta. Either will be a great meter, I own a Minolta
> Spot Meter and a cheap Sekonic Incident meter and both are very
> accurate

Most professional photographers are herd animals when it comes to equipment
choice, especially to 'ancilliaries', ie. just about anything other than the
lens. We simply can't afford to take risks, and copying what works for
everyone else is a good way of being pretty sure of reliability. Just about
every studio and architectural photographer I know uese Minolta, and just
about every landscape photographer uses either a Pentax spotmeter or a
Sekonic (I use Sekonic). However, my Sekonic works just as well in the
studio for me as it does for the landscape work that I do more of. My
'first' back up meter is a Gossen, and that works equally well.

I think it's hard to go wrong with either of the 'big two' in meters. Note
how many of the accessories are interchangeable between Minolta and Sekonic
and you get a feel for how close they are... If I was buying again I would
choose between a Sekonic, a Minolta, or maybe a Gossen, on features and
price rather than on brand name. If I needed only a spotmeter, rather than
also wanting incident and flash, I'd get a Pentax.

Peter
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:30:07 PM

W Chan wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica Minolta Auto
> VF meters?
>
> I am planning to buy one.. and both models are pretty close in price.
>
> Thanks,

One thing you might want to consider is that the different brands of
meters use different ways to show partial stops. One method or another
may be more to your preference. I use the Minolta, for various reasons,
but actually prefer the way Sekonic shows partial stops.

Lisa
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 6:59:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

Does anyone know the sync speed (external flash/strobes) for D70? I think
it's 1/500 seconds...?

Thanks
w.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 7:24:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm (More info?)

"W Chan" <yvrwfc@shaw.caca> wrote:

> Does anyone know the sync speed (external flash/strobes) for D70? I think
> it's 1/500 seconds...?
>
> Thanks
> w.

Yep. 1/500 sec.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 7:43:37 PM

Lisa Horton wrote:

> W Chan wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica
>> Minolta Auto VF meters?
>>
>> I am planning to buy one.. and both models are pretty close in
>> price.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> One thing you might want to consider is that the different brands of
> meters use different ways to show partial stops. One method or
> another may be more to your preference. I use the Minolta, for
> various reasons, but actually prefer the way Sekonic shows partial
> stops.

In what way Lisa? I have a Min VF and I had a L508. They both show
partial stops in 0.1 EV steps. (Unless you mean the meter scale, in
which case the VF shows half-stop jumps (irritating), I don't recall
what the Sekonic showed).

Cheers,
Alan.

March 11, 2005 8:21:23 PM

Alan Browne wrote:

> Lisa Horton wrote:
>

> > W Chan wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone have any experience with Sekonic L358 and/or Konica
> >> Minolta Auto VF meters?
> >>
> >> I am planning to buy one.. and both models are pretty close in
> >> price.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>

> > One thing you might want to consider is that the different brands of
> > meters use different ways to show partial stops. One method or
> > another may be more to your preference. I use the Minolta, for
> > various reasons, but actually prefer the way Sekonic shows partial
> > stops.
>
> In what way Lisa? I have a Min VF and I had a L508. They both show
> partial stops in 0.1 EV steps. (Unless you mean the meter scale, in
> which case the VF shows half-stop jumps (irritating), I don't recall
> what the Sekonic showed).

It's been a while since I've looked at any meter besides my own, like,
years. But as I recall, it's what you mentioned, the graphical
representation of partial stops. I used to have a Sekonic L-328, and it
had a sort of a dial representation that I thought was much clearer at a
glance than the bar on the Minolta. Consider the source though, I find
analog timepieces better for getting a quick, approximate, time.

Lisa
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 1:10:24 AM

On 11 Mar 2005 in rec.photo.digital, W Chan wrote:

> Does anyone know the sync speed (external flash/strobes) for D70? I
> think it's 1/500 seconds...?

All the way up to. It'll also fake it at higher speeds; I haven't tried
it, but read somewhere that the results aren't good.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

> Does anyone know the sync speed (external flash/strobes) for D70? I think
> it's 1/500 seconds...?

Well - it's actually any speed UP TO 1/500th.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 4:40:37 PM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:16:28 -0000, "adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>"W Chan" <yvrwfc@shaw.caca> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know the sync speed (external flash/strobes) for D70? I think
>> it's 1/500 seconds...?
>
>Well - it's actually any speed UP TO 1/500th.

And beyond if you put a bit of black electrical tape over one of the
contacts (google it) with an external SB-800 or SB-600 - or use a
non-nikon flash.

I've never tried - prefer waiting for the hacked firmware to remove
this limit. Results may not be good either way.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Owamanga <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> writes:
> >Well - it's actually any speed UP TO 1/500th.
>
> And beyond if you put a bit of black electrical tape over one of the
> contacts (google it) with an external SB-800 or SB-600 - or use a
> non-nikon flash.
>
> I've never tried - prefer waiting for the hacked firmware to remove
> this limit. Results may not be good either way.

For more info on faster than 1/500 sync speeds on the D70, see the
thread starting with this message:
<VrL1d.61182$WH1.1323461@wagner.videotron.net>

Regards,
Chris

--
If you buy a camera, you are a photographer.
If you buy a flute, you own a flute.