Dial-up and WIFI???

renatracy

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
I have a desktop (IBM winXP) that I want to connect to WiFi; also would like to get my mail over internet but I only have dial-up. What kind of wireless router and antennae do I need? Do I need anyother equipment given I have dial up?

r3xx3r

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
i think you should be fine with any wireless router. you will need to power down you Dial-Up modem. plug the router's ethernet cable into the wireless router, than power on the modem and wait for it to finish booting up. than turn on the wireless router. you should plug in directly into the wireless router for the initial set up.

I recommend the Linksys E2000 (one of the best wireless N routers on the market). it has a very easy set up cd that comes with it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124386&cm_re=linksys_e2000-_-33-124-386-_-Product

runswindows95

Distinguished
First, I will STRESS that you can't just pick up any wireless router. The routers that were capable of doing it had a serial port, and they are so obsolete now. Overall, better off just keeping it plugged in till you upgrade to DSL or Cable if you can.

renatracy

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

thanks for your reply; certainly the best one received. As i am not "savy" about computers..what do you mean by "power down my dial-up modem"? it is internal.

renatracy

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

Thanks for this reply, best one. As i am not computer"savy" would you further explain what you mean by power down my modem (its internal)? Again thanks for your help. renatract

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I think you can get a proprietary item that will essentially have an RJ25 phone jack on both ends, one goes in your PC and one goes in the wall and work it like that, so long as you don't mind the KKKSSSHHHH DING DONG DING DONG etc. dial up sounds. Basically still wired but it will be wireless

I think a unit like This should fit your needs. It's not advertised as wireless dial up but i don't see why it wouldn't work, it's basically a wireless phone cord. http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Phone-Jack-Extension-Unit/dp/B000I3T3K2/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1

renatracy

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Thanks to all you sincerely gave good info, especially "r3xxr3". Tht was the best reply. Also as i am not computer "savy" would you further explain how to "power down my modem"?, its internal, do I turn it off at the port??

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
If you are dead set on having wireless Dial-up, I can attempt to guide you but honestly, it isn't really possible. You will end up buying a router you have no use for. As was stated, dial-up routers are obsolete and never really worked well. If you bridge your Dial-Up connection and a wireless adapter setup for ad-hoc, you should "theoretically" get wireless dial-up. The problem is, no wireless router is going to accept the dial-up connection and send it out. That is because it will reject the fact that you are using a phone cable to connect it. You can't do that, it won't work. That's not how telecommunications work.

I am telling you not to buy any wireless equipment unless you intend to upgrade to DSL. A regular, off the shelf router will not work for what you are attempting. It simply isn't a possible function. If you feel the need to try it, do so but, don't expect results. Yes, you will get a wireless notwork. No, you won't have internet unless you bridge your modem and network card. Even still, I have my doubts that it will work. Contact your ISP and consider getting DSL. It will be worth the cost/investment.

Also, the technical information in this post is more to benefit other technically inclined people, those that understand ad-hoc and the complexities of a network. Maybe they can explain it in terms you can relate to but it isn't something I would even ever consider.

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
r3xx3r has no idea what you are actually trying to do. The e2000 Linksys will not work for your intended purpose. He is probably to young to know about dial-up and is probably confusing it with a DSL modem, not a Dial-up modem. HUGE difference. You will not get success with what you are attempting.

greatarbor

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Check out the GAC-152 WiFi Dial Up Router at
www.greatarbor.com/products.html

TRENDING THREADS