Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cable-management and Build opinion

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
June 28, 2011 9:56:31 PM

Hey there folks!

I was caught up with a few builds commissioned by my pals. I chose these parts.

Specs:

HTPC/torrent/browsing rig: Client 1

ECS H67H2-M Black Deluxe
Core i3-2100 (Intel HD2000)
4GB DDR3 1333MHz Kingston
Lite-on DVD+/-RW with label tag
1x 250GB Seagate HDD - OS and possible games
1x 2TB Samsung HD2104UI
Transnet Watercooling capable case
Tt Toughpower 600W PSU (this was a spare PSU i had lying around and thought i should sell it to him)
will hook up to a 46" lcd tv (he'll add a discrete GPU later and use it to game on his TV)

gallery

Office rig: Client 2
same things as htpc rig but only with a HD322GJ Samsung HDD and a xfx 450W pro PSU, will hook up to a 21.5" LED monitor
edit: Once i pick up the parts ^ this thursday, I'll get to work with the rig and post pics of it too. This other friend of mine deals with foreign client who deal with apparels and need to display their HQ images on large display's - apart from a monitor.

Please critique the build and what else I can do with it.
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
June 28, 2011 11:17:30 PM

The build looks good, both of them. I don't think the Black Deluxe was necessary, but that's too late already so whatever. The 600w you should sell and get the 550w XFX (As you told me your friend could get it, or I may have misunderstood)

The office rig you could wait for Llano's Desktop forms but that's not a big deal, the i3 2100 etc. Discrete isn't great but it'll do.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
June 28, 2011 11:58:35 PM

Quote:
The 600w you should sell and get the 550w XFX (As you told me your friend could get it, or I may have misunderstood)

yeah bro, thanks, thas what i had in mind.

Quote:
The office rig you could wait for Llano's Desktop forms but that's not a big deal, the i3 2100 etc. Discrete isn't great but it'll do.
let me clear something up bro, i live in Bangladesh - believe me when i say that the price cuts of AMD cpu's don't take any hit over here. They are sold at the same prices they were when they first came out. I would've moved for a lower spec MAD build than what i have now, but with this price i found I'm getting double the performance (bang for buck wise) So for Llano's - it'll take a lightyear to arrive here and then be sold at cutthroat prices.
Score
Related resources
June 29, 2011 12:07:18 AM

I didn't mean to wait because the prices will drop, but I meant Llano would have better perf IMO. But uhh the 2100 works.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
June 29, 2011 12:07:41 AM

arent intel chips fabricated in bangladesh?
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
June 29, 2011 12:34:57 AM

genghiskron said:
arent intel chips fabricated in bangladesh?

If they were I'd know where the plant would be and then I'd plan a day to raid it off of all the K series chips :D 

so no, we don't make them. :S Was really excited about Llano's until i realized the monopoly of importers. I might get a Llano when I go to Malaysia - but if its released around September...dunno what'll happen when warranty comes into question...an idle rig maybe...

Quote:
I didn't mean to wait because the prices will drop, but I meant Llano would have better perf IMO. But uhh the 2100 works.

bro if you follow the best gaming cpu's for the money review and chart here on Tom's - I'm supposed to get a 955BE with the amount i spent on this i3-2100 rig. So you can understand how much prices are marked up cos of lack of retailers.

:heink:  :cry: 

anyways just a critique of the build. :)  hey - lifes all about learning from bad builds and blown up builds :D  lol IMO
Score
June 29, 2011 12:40:59 AM

Well I don't know your prices in Bangladesh, I'm just saying it buy what I think. I personally like the i3 2100 so it's toms thing if they like the 955. I think both are good, I just favor the i3 2100 for the upgrade path.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
June 29, 2011 12:53:01 AM

Quote:
I just favor the i3 2100 for the upgrade path
amen to that brotha!
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
June 29, 2011 6:15:14 AM

Cables aren't too bad man :) 
Seen better, but seen a LOT worse hehe :) 
Moto
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
June 29, 2011 7:53:03 AM

^ thanks man : I think i saw your cable-management pics a few threads earlier...just trying to find some time to upload pics of my brothers + my rig cable-management.

Score
a b B Homebuilt system
June 29, 2011 5:16:08 PM

I'm a bit annoyed today as botophucket has broken all my links,
so not sure what pics are still up or not lol, my latest build logs gone, gutted :p 
I'm just going to redo it when I'm finished I think. rcba finding what pic went where hehe,
look forward to seeing your pics though
Moto
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
June 29, 2011 6:34:15 PM

Quote:
I'm a bit annoyed today as botophucket has broken all my links,
so not sure what pics are still up or not lol, my latest build logs gone, gutted
I'm just going to redo it when I'm finished I think. rcba finding what pic went where hehe,
look forward to seeing your pics though
went through the same annoying thing.

Okay bro,I'll drop a PM when I'll have the gallery for both my rigs up and running.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
June 30, 2011 7:29:36 PM

Edit: took up on Motopsychojdn's post and worked on the rig again...for the cables. Took out my tripod and got about shooting the rig. Ah , now all thas left is taking pics of my rig :D 

gallery here

i found an EVGA GTX470 SC for cheap... and my friend may get it to make this rig into a gaming HTPC. He's also decided to take the PSU off my hands - thus the 600W yet being in his rig :) 
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2011 3:21:24 PM

Looking nice in there man :) 
now, about that can of Black spraypaint you have lying around.......
:p 
Moto
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2011 4:22:09 PM

:lol:  :)  i have a can of each:

Matte black
Honda Red
Clear Lacquer
White
Fluorescent Orange

When I will get one built for myself :)  I WILL paint the inner mobo tray black, get a Thermalright HR 02 cooler, Arctic RC pro coolers and have the whole thing run passively in a black and white scheme. But yeah - your criticism was helpful :) 
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2011 8:00:43 PM

No criticism intended man, just seeing potential :) 
its all good between Modders
(until you get to sponsor level then it gets icky, just like everything else when money comes into play hehe)
Moto
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
July 1, 2011 8:35:45 PM

Quote:
Seen better, but seen a LOT worse hehe :) 
correction - constructive criticism :)  i hear ya bro, modded a case of mine. Have it lying around in my store room. Thas why i prefer working on solo projects or on friends builds who'll appreciate the detail - without adding deadline pressures :D 
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2011 3:38:36 PM

Here's the other rig :

The xfx 450W psu has shorter cables - making tucking and managing a little easier than the Toupghpower 600W

Must say, the xfx 450W psu seems sturdy - well afterall its a seasonic unit with a XFX sticker :) 
Score

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2011 3:47:15 PM

looking good there :) 
of course now you've started, its a downhill spiral of cable hiding shame ahead for you hehe :) 
if you're ever homeless, you can sit at the side of the road with a sign, 'will do Cable management for fudz' :p 
Moto
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2011 3:51:33 PM

:lol:  thas one very good way of saying it.

The pics you saw of MY rig - it wasn't like that at all! I felt like uploading my rigs pic a long time back but the 600W was like a mess and an eye sore. 2 years ago, i decided to get it off my chest :)  voila...then ofcourse i got busy and trying to take pics of the rig became an afterthought, even though i spend my whole day nearly on Tom's
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2011 3:54:21 PM

Its when you rip everything out just to feed one 2core cable around something to sneak it out of veiw, or when you rip molex plugs off to feed the fan wire through the mobo standoff holes that you know its a problem,
Seek help hehe :p 
or post pics etc on toms so we can all enjoy
Moto
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2011 3:56:52 PM

hmmm, seems I'm blurring the lines betwween OCD and being tidy :D  :whistle: 
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2011 4:01:21 PM

Oh one so subtley becomes the other mate, but by then you only care about the cables muahahaaa :p 
Moto
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2011 4:10:28 PM

:lol:  that must've been a "dr evil" line, screened out for parental filtering :D 

You've been of great help bro! Much appreciated. If I run into any more cabling woes - I'll post it up here on Tom's and, of-course, run a PM through to you as well.

Cheers everyone!
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
July 4, 2011 4:35:30 PM

No probs man, Take it easy :) 
Moto
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
December 8, 2012 1:56:24 AM

Best answer selected by Lutfij.
Score
a c 113 B Homebuilt system