I think i meesed up!

halfway2hell333

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Hello,
my pc was fine but needed a clean because it had dust in the heatsink so i tryed the arm but it wouldnt move,so i took out the screws,(had to move the mother bord to get the under of them back on later) when i lifted the heatsink the cpu was stuck to the bottom. when i was putting it back the heatsink was tight so i checked the cpu it had afew bent pins and one cam out now the pc has power all lights and fans, but no booting, beeps and even the dvd drives wont open ... help?

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011

No other way to say it except that you sir, are boned. Gotta buy a new processor...

Jay_83

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
^+1
Dude, so you actually disassembled the CPU clip on the socket... That's... Wow. Yeah.
Well, if you've lost pins on the CPU, then you're screwed, sorry. In the future, unscrew the HEATSINK SCREWS/PINS ONLY, then twist the heatsink to get it off your CPU.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Just curious, what was the processor? Sure hope you can still pick one up that is compatible with your existing MB or you are then looking at replacing both the MB and CPU. And maybe the memory as well if it is too slow for the new MB / CPU setup.

We won't even mention the hassle you have if it is a prebuilt retail system with a proprietary Operating System for the old MB. Or if homebuilt convincing MS to transfer the OS license to the new MB. And good luck if that is an old OS.

Next time just use some compressed air and blow out the heatsink fins.

We all know that most of us have done something that we later regretted (insert "replacing alternator without fully disconnecting battery even though you KNEW BETTER" here - fried all the computer modules AND the main harness). As long as you learned something...

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011

Ain't that the damn truth...

Honestly, we really shouldn't give him that hard of a time. We've ALL done something completely stupid and will never admit to it on here. :lol:

Gosu-Vu

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011

Hahah very true. I once thought it was wise to leave my old mobo laying out infront of my on my desk while using it gaming, spilt a cup of chocolate milk all over the motherboard while it was running. The screen went black instantly, I switched my psu off, started taking everything apart as fast as i could then used my vaccum that blows air out very hard to dry the mobo and everything as good as i possibly could. Believe it or not the sucker still honestly worked and I fired it back up after and kept gaming.

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011

Honestly, computer hardware is pretty tough to kill. I've dumped water (distilled, of course) on my GPU / motherboard several times...after a quick zap with the heat gun it's good to go.