Sign in with
Your question

New motherboard suggestions?

Last response: in Systems
June 28, 2011 11:01:57 PM

Hello~ I have a slightly older computer that is homebuilt and it seems that the Motherboard is now defective. I'm trying to look for a decent replacement and not going for a hard upgrade since I'd rather spend that money on the newer computer. Just want it to be able to run games normally again. So if anyone could suggest a good replacement Motherboard that's not high end and/or costs a lot, I would really appreciate it. Oh we use dual monitors on it if that makes any difference.
Here's what I have-
Motherboard: Asus M2N-E SLI
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ 2.81 GHz
Power Supply: Antec Truepower Trio 550 Watt output Model:TP3-550
Graphics Card: GeForce 9800 GTX
Sound Card: Dynex DX-SC51
Ram: x2 PNY 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 ram sticks
etc: x3 Sata Hard drives, x1 CD-RW DVD drive, x1 Floppy drive

Any help would be great, thanks. :) 
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a c 89 V Motherboard
June 29, 2011 9:27:07 AM

Head to Newegg , and search for AM2 motherboards

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2011 4:03:59 PM

What makes you think the motherboard is defective?

m
l
Related resources
June 29, 2011 7:24:10 PM

I've had a few friends try running various software to see if the video card and and other various parts are having problems, but so far every time they say they're working fine. However the computer keeps crashing when I guess Too much content is having to be displayed/processed. IDK maybe its the Chip but they said that was working fine too. but every time it crashes I get this Blue screen error:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates.
Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBD0A3521, 0xB1B10B3C, 0x00000000)

*** nv4_disp.dll - Address BD0A3521 base at BD012000, DateStamp 4d9e7d6e

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

We've already tried updating the software but this still happens. Additionally after the computer restarts, the beginning run display screen that appears before windows loads, is totally messed up. Like someone made a bad photoshop. I've been told by several people that the graphics card I have is plenty capable to run the games we play on it. If you think you might know whats going on there by all means im all ears. So far we've only figured the Motherboard is probably wacked.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 1, 2011 5:55:25 AM

I have that motherboard. It works well and I like it. Only problem with it is the DDR2 memory and only one PCIe X16 Slot. Otherwise, it works good.

However, the problem you described could be an OS, virus or driver problem. Have you tried reinstalling windows from scratch? Sometimes, even when you reinstall windows, it can get messed up and cause BSOD's. Do you have an OEM or a full version of windows? If you do, try reformatting your drive and then reinstalling windows(backup all important data first).

Also, do you have a good security software package. If not, it's really easy to pick up a virus and sometimes you can get one even with the best security software.

Additionally, make sure that all of your drivers are up to date. You may need to uninstall some of them first to make sure that the new drivers install correctly. Make sure to check all of the possible drivers including motherboard chipset drivers, sound drivers, ethernet drivers, wireless network drivers, and any other drivers needed for peripherals. Windows usually downloads these drivers from windows update but they are not necessarily the most up-to-date drivers. Just the most up-to-date that Microsoft is aware of. Drivers change so fast that microsoft cannot always keep up.

I hope this helps.
m
l
!