Phone dropped into pool

Last response: in Network Providers
May 31, 2005 3:32:10 AM

Hi:

Ok....my son...by the pool...well, the phone got wet and no longer works.
I'm going to purchase a v220 phone on ebay but I need to understand a bit
more.

Lets say I have the new phone in my hand. Will the sim card from the old
phone work after getting wet? Odds? If it does work after I insert it
into
the new phone, will the phone work with Cingular automatically OR do I
have
to call them and provide the long winded number that was pert near
impossible to read?

If the sim card is dead can I just buy any sim card or does it have to be
from a specific region such as Albany, NY?

Does it matter where the phone was purchased originally (say California)?

Thanks for the help. Sorry for all the questions.

Bob

It has removed 3661 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

More about : phone dropped pool

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 3:32:11 AM

In article <_nNme.27164$i42.19312@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
"Bob L." <bob_lally@prophezine.com> wrote:

> Lets say I have the new phone in my hand. Will the sim card from the old
> phone work after getting wet? Odds? If it does work after I insert it
> into
> the new phone, will the phone work with Cingular automatically OR do I
> have
> to call them and provide the long winded number that was pert near
> impossible to read?

The SIM card *is* you. If it works, it works--just plug it into the new
phone.

OTOH, if you plug it into the new phone and the new phone doesn't work,
guaranteed it's your SIM. It's bad, and didn't like the dunking.

Start by assuming the SIM is good and plug it into the new phone. If
the new phone powers up and is happy, and your phone book is there, and
you can make calls, you're golden.

A good way to make sure it's you is to check your voicemail.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 4:18:53 PM

I agree, buy the new phone, and try the sim card. We've "washed" sim cards
by accident, and they have gone thru a full wash cycle, and still worked.
The phone, on the other hand, has been exposed to the smallest amount of
water and died. Try the phone option on ebay (without service), or better
yet, borrow someone else's phone and try the simm card in it. That should
tell you your options. dr
--
dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
used to)

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
> In article <_nNme.27164$i42.19312@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
> "Bob L." <bob_lally@prophezine.com> wrote:
>
>> Lets say I have the new phone in my hand. Will the sim card from the old
>> phone work after getting wet? Odds? If it does work after I insert it
>> into
>> the new phone, will the phone work with Cingular automatically OR do I
>> have
>> to call them and provide the long winded number that was pert near
>> impossible to read?
>
> The SIM card *is* you. If it works, it works--just plug it into the new
> phone.
>
> OTOH, if you plug it into the new phone and the new phone doesn't work,
> guaranteed it's your SIM. It's bad, and didn't like the dunking.
>
> Start by assuming the SIM is good and plug it into the new phone. If
> the new phone powers up and is happy, and your phone book is there, and
> you can make calls, you're golden.
>
> A good way to make sure it's you is to check your voicemail.

May 31, 2005 8:29:34 PM

....never thought of trying the sim in another phone...can I try it in
a v180 instead of a v220?

Turning 50 in July and the brain is losing it!

Bob

"dr.news@better.price.biz.nospam" <dr.news@better-price.biz.nospam> wrote in
message news:NCYme.1275$4u.1177@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
> I agree, buy the new phone, and try the sim card. We've "washed" sim
cards
> by accident, and they have gone thru a full wash cycle, and still worked.
> The phone, on the other hand, has been exposed to the smallest amount of
> water and died. Try the phone option on ebay (without service), or better
> yet, borrow someone else's phone and try the simm card in it. That should
> tell you your options. dr
> --
> dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you
are
> used to)
> If I can help: dr.news@better-price.biz.nospam or thru this notes
forum.

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
> > In article <_nNme.27164$i42.19312@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
> > "Bob L." <bob_lally@prophezine.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Lets say I have the new phone in my hand. Will the sim card from the
old
> >> phone work after getting wet? Odds? If it does work after I insert it
> >> into
> >> the new phone, will the phone work with Cingular automatically OR do I
> >> have
> >> to call them and provide the long winded number that was pert near
> >> impossible to read?
> >
> > The SIM card *is* you. If it works, it works--just plug it into the new
> > phone.
> >
> > OTOH, if you plug it into the new phone and the new phone doesn't work,
> > guaranteed it's your SIM. It's bad, and didn't like the dunking.
> >
> > Start by assuming the SIM is good and plug it into the new phone. If
> > the new phone powers up and is happy, and your phone book is there, and
> > you can make calls, you're golden.
> >
> > A good way to make sure it's you is to check your voicemail.

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 8:29:35 PM

"Bob L." <bob_lally@prophezine.com> wrote in message
news:o h0ne.32886$tM3.13253@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> ...never thought of trying the sim in another phone...can I try it in
> a v180 instead of a v220?

<snip>
yes, the V180 should also be a Cingular phone and or unlocked.
!